Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How safe is it going to be if I switch to a 6#lower with a ported eaton. I have a guy local who is wanting to trade but not sure on safety as I can't afford a built bottem end right not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I remember when it was unheard of to run that combo and now it is common. I have ran that combo for over a year. It really is all in the tune as to how safe it is. I personally feel that 6lb ported is safer than 6lb unported because of the lower IAT2's.

-Mark

·
Registered
426 Posts
I agree. I'd rather see a fella spin one with a 6lb and ported than a 6lb and non-ported.

IMO the tuners are just pulling timing and adding fuel.(that's my speculation though. I'm not a tuning expert by any means)
The bottom end is great but on the top end your sacrificing. I say that because with my 4lb and ported eaton I pull 6#/ported trucks on the big end. Time after time same story. They pull me off the line and I pull them the rest of the run. Usually passing them before the traps too.

Rich

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
I'm going to be doing some dyno-ing in a week or two with a 
(suppose to be 10lb lower thats really @8-9), and a 2.7 Upper, on a Ported Eaton.
I'm hoping for at least 450 HP, and more hoping I can squeeze a few pony's more....

The way things have been going for me HP wise, I'll prob put down 350  [smilie=eek4.gif]
OR SOMETHING  :LOL

On my stock block
I ran 4lb lower, 2lb upper, Ported Eaton, AND 100 HP of N20  [smilie=fingersx.gif]
(the ported Eaton was on the last year)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
(suppose to be 10lb lower thats really @8-9), and a 2.7 Upper, on a Ported Eaton.
I'm hoping for at least 450 HP, and more hoping I can squeeze a few pony's more....
I'll be watching your results Rob. Since Sal is building me a new engine next month, I was planning to go beyond a 6lb lower with the ported eaton. I'm going heads and cams so my goal is more like 500 street. Then I need to figure out now much Racetested nitrous to throw at it :D

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not going to run a upper if I decide to go with the 6# lower as I will have the equivilent of a 4#lower and a 2.8 upper with just a 6#lower. Or so that is what I have read in the past.

Rob I know your truck has more it it than just 400hp with all that done. Im not sure what is going on with your truck but we both know that Sal is the one who can fix it [smilie=fingersx.gif]. Keep us updated on what you find out when you go back to the dyno with the ported eaton vs. the Mangum Powers.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Thanks BB

BTW I have "a little" more than 400 THANK GOD [smilie=eek4.gif]
currently 458 / 573 uncorrected, 444 / 556 SAE

The main issue is NOT being able to add timing, or being able to create a race tune.
I need some tunability to be able to run a n20 program, street program, and race tune,
right now we dont have that.......

·
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
5,887 Posts
Six would be as big as I would go too.
Its all in the tune

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am looking to get a dyno tune done within the next month and I might tell him to hold on it till I go in for the dyno tune so I can have it tuned then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:

The way things have been going for me HP wise, I'll prob put down 350  [smilie=eek4.gif]
OR SOMETHING  :LOL

On my stock block
I ran 4lb lower, 2lb upper, Ported Eaton, AND 100 HP of N20  [smilie=fingersx.gif]
(the ported Eaton was on the last year)

so let me get this straight rob. you ran all that on a stock block without blowing it? because i want to run a 100 shot from racetested and a 4#lower and TB and cold air. but i thought id blow my motor. where did you get your tune

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
My buddy has 6lb lower, stock upper and Apten Ported Eaton and he is making

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll be adding a 6lb lower here this fall, i hope to be 445ish. Last dyno w/ a 4lb lower, netted me 425/503. I've since then added an e-fan, then eventually the 6lb lower. I have everybolt on except for a heat exchanger, and a stall converter (which is coming next month)

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to get another dyno pull tommorow afternoon and see what I can get. I am going to change my fuel filter in the morning to be on the safe side as well as put my stock rims back on the rear with my DR's on for less weight as well. If Im not happy Im going to get the 6# and be done with it. Thanks for all the info. Guys I will post my results tommorow after I get back from the dyno.

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got back from the dyno and Finally got a Full Dyno Pull :banana:. But the Number's my truck put up was below par in my book by seeing what other people have with less mods than I do :-?. Yes it was hot down here in Texas today and the truck got a little cool down time but not much. I also unpluged the battery right after I got there till the Time they Pulled it onto the dyno. It was a dynojet and not a Mustangd dyno just so We don't have that question asked later.

First Dyno Pull 364hp and 432 tq.

The only Good thing is we got a steady A/F of 12.5 across the entire power band.

I am not sure if the heat would rob me of that much hp or not?

I am going to do a dyno tune in Sept./October when it's cooler down here in Texas as well as put a 6# lower on at that time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
wow, that may be alittle to lean across the board. i'd try to get it down under 12. sorry to hear you wornt happy. good luck bro.

chiz

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talked to JJ and he says with the hot day and no cool down time. The IAT2 temps went up and pulled timeing so Im not woried as that is what I thought but wanted to check before I jumped to a HUGE conclusion. I will still go with a dyno tune but wait till it cools off.

P.S.
Thanks JJ for all the info. you are the Man :smt023

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
lamboLewie

I use to run a 4lb lower, plus a 2lb upper, plus a Ported Eaton, plus 100 HP of n20 [smilie=fingersx.gif]

Johnny Lightning did the tuning at the time, and yes we held it together to the day we took it apart. 2 years of n20 use at the time, 3 yrs of racing. Motor had @14K on it when rebuilt.

This new set up on the Ported Eaton is absolutely AMAZING
You prob saw the Dyno results, 442/573 SAE on the street tune (thats niiiiice for SAE #'s)
especially for my 24/7 pump gas street program.

We didn't have a hell of a lot of time that night to play, but we did make a quick race tune and acheived @590 TQ and a little more HP (again SAE #'s).
Uncorrected I'm getting very close to my 480/600 goal OFF SPRAY.
WOO HOO............

Here's the pulleys I'm using now

9-7/8" Lower

2.7" Upper

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the info. I am set on a 6#lower and a dyno tune when this Texas Summer heat is gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts