Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the necessary supporting mods to be able to support a 6 lb lower pulley on an 02 lightning with jlp intake ,exhaust and built block?

·
Cogs and Idlers
3,106 Posts
Upgraded MAF, tune, and I've seen some people upgrade the fuel pumps as well but not everyone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reason i ask is becouse a local lightning owner is selling me a 6 lb lower pulley but the thing is I have to remove it myself. My next question is how difficult is it to remove the 6 lb pulley from the motor? what tools do i need?

·
Cogs and Idlers
3,106 Posts
Depends on whose pulley he is running. I believe they are all relatively simple but there are differences.

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
Removing aftermarket lower pulleys is simple, removing the factory lower pulley can be a serious PITA. When you're ready to remove your factory lower remember that it is reverse-thread (right to loosen). Any and all mechanical advantages can be useful... breaker bar, heat (via a torch), impact tool, your buddies, use of the trucks weight to assist, etc.

·
I like your avatar!
667 Posts
Upgraded MAF, tune, and I've seen some people upgrade the fuel pumps as well but not everyone.
I thought I have seen numerous folks running a 6lb lower and not needing an upgraded MAF (assuming stock is 90mm). I know it's about the biggest you can go on a stock MAF, but shouldn't peg it, right?

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
I thought I have seen numerous folks running a 6lb lower and not needing an upgraded MAF (assuming stock is 90mm). I know it's about the biggest you can go on a stock MAF, but shouldn't peg it, right?
In cooler conditions the stock 90mm MAF can/will peg with a 6# lower. Many moons ago I datalogged 4.95 volts with a 6# lower on a San Diego winter morning. A MAF upgrade is cheaper than the alternative or a retuning fee in many cases.

·
I like your avatar!
667 Posts
In cooler conditions the stock 90mm MAF can/will peg with a 6# lower. Many moons ago I datalogged 4.95 volts with a 6# lower on a San Diego winter morning. A MAF upgrade is cheaper than the alternative or a retuning fee in many cases.
Hmm, ok. Guess I'm getting a new MAF and/or a MAF extender myself.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,655 Posts
:laughing25

you wiling to pay for the guys motor if he maxes out the stocker and plays pop goes the motor????

·
Cogs and Idlers
3,106 Posts
Some people do get away with it, but for an extra $200ish why chance it?

·
I like your avatar!
667 Posts
Well that's why you guys are here, some say you can do it some say it's a chance, I'd rather be safe than sorry, too. So that's why I asked the question again. For OP's edification and mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts