Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the 6 disc factory radios the same as in a regular f150? Or are there any other avenues to get one?
Trying to find one of these things has become difficult.
Thanks advance ,
Noah

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yes, they are the same and interchangeable with other vehicles. I have a spare Lightning 6-disc in my F-250.

Reactions: stoffer

·
Registered
208 Posts
I believe my friend's '04 mustang has one so they probably put a lot of then in mustangs
likely more common than ones in trucks I'd think

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think they'd match a mustang at all but I'll look into that! Thanks for the information. I may have to try to match up part numbers with ford

·
Registered
208 Posts
radio fitment is usually standardized across a manufacturers product line.. makes making cars cheaper to do so the chances are good the fit should be the same
something from the same era or generation of manufacturing should match up

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Disc carriers are not interchangeable with my unit. I have pulled the radio and Disc unit and upgraded in the 2000's with an Apple Play/Android unit with a screen for maps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think the O-P is lookin for the stereo with the built in multi disc player

now that I think of it I'm not sure I've ever even seen one in a truck .. single disc players I have seen ..and know I have

factory cassette player works great in my truck .. never tried the cd player in the console though

though , not much of a stereo guy here.. I look at the radio and see first, six preset reasons to turn it off again

·
Registered
208 Posts
I went to the wrecker's today .. saw both a single disc player and a 6 disc player
easy to tell the difference.. 6 disc says 6 disk right on it

that one was in a '98 truck
no idea if it's any good but it's here in toronto canada so probably not much use to someone in the US

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I remember mine saying six disc on it as well! It has been easy for me to find the single disc players, but the six is hard to find.

·
Registered
2003 Ford F150 Lightning Red
38 Posts
Are the 6 disc factory radios the same as in a regular f150? Or are there any other avenues to get one?
Trying to find one of these things has become difficult.
Thanks advance ,
Noah
I have mine. Removed it first chance I could. Why you want one of them I have questions. Everyone in this forum is an engine person. I am the audio girl. Mine used 6k miles (more like 5k when I bought it) I just drove in silence 8 hours round trip to friends wedding in Dallas. It does work fine. Once you have real power and satellite radio. No going back to that factory unit. All factory audio redone first chance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Disc carriers are not interchangeable with my unit. I have pulled the radio and Disc unit and upgraded in the 2000's with an Apple Play/Android unit with a screen for maps.
Welcome to Hell. That sounds like an electronic nightmare. If I had tine I could maybe do it. Don't let some stereo shop touch it. As I have learned past 18.5 years they do girl Scout jobs. Don't even think about BB installing anything. Have redone their joke work for friends. It is really joke work. How can they even charge for that? I'm in Wisconsin. Probably not enough time to do it but maybe catch me at the right time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have mine. Removed it first chance I could. Why you want one of them I have questions. Everyone in this forum is an engine person. I am the audio girl. Mine used 6k miles (more like 5k when I bought it) I just drove in silence 8 hours round trip to friends wedding in Dallas. It does work fine. Once you have real power and satellite radio. No going back to that factory unit. All factory audio redone first chance.
Since you’re saying you’re an audio person, what set up do you have?
What amps do you recommend that fit under the seat. I want to redo my audio

need new subs and amps

I have the mtx thunderbox
I know it’s not the best, but I’ve always loved the box and fit

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Still confused about which CD player you're talking about: the one in the dash or the one in the plastic accessory box behind the seats. My stock 2002 came with a cassette player in the dash. I immediately replaced it with a 6 CD dash unit from a newer Ford truck. Fits just fine, but you have to grind off a plastic brace in the dash for the 6 CD unit as it is a "bigger box" behind the dash. Use a Dremel to grind down the brace. Easy-peasy. Now you have 6CDs in the dash and 6CDs in the behind-the-seat-box.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm referring to the in dash factory 6 disc that came on the 03's.
Would you be willing to sell it?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still confused about which CD player you're talking about: the one in the dash or the one in the plastic accessory box behind the seats. My stock 2002 came with a cassette player in the dash. I immediately replaced it with a 6 CD dash unit from a newer Ford truck. Fits just fine, but you have to grind off a plastic brace in the dash for the 6 CD unit as it is a "bigger box" behind the dash. Use a Dremel to grind down the brace. Easy-peasy. Now you have 6CDs in the dash and 6CDs in the behind-the-seat-box.
I'm referring to the in dash 6 disc changer that came in the 03s.

·
Registered
208 Posts
slight tangent to the conversation .. but , where does one buy "the radio removal tool"
??

I've looked and looked .. maybe Idono what to type properly in the search box ..but I haven't been able to find this once common item..

·
Registered
38 Posts
The factory removal deck tools are long and weird. Most people pull out the factory stuff and ditch them. Look like 2 horseshoe pieces of metal. I probably have mine but that are not in the box the factory deck lives in. I probably threw mine away to be honest. You can likely shape coathangers with just enough grip to pull factory out. Taking part of the dash apart helps too. You don't need the tool to put it back in fyi.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts