Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just looking to gauge some interest on an intake manifold being made. I've been working with Tork Tech and looking into buying their kit for my 00' Mustang, but I'm running a 5.4 2v not the 4.6.

I really don't want to use adapters because I want to be sure I have proper fuel injector placement and less gaskets that have the potential to leak. They are willing to create something for us but would need to know what kind of interest there is. Would anyone be interested in something like this for their Lightning? If so what kind of blower would you be interested in? My best guess is a 2.9 Whipple might be a nice option to have.

I figured a low profile manifold that would fit a Mustang 5.4 2v would give Lightning guys lots more firewall clearance and room under the hood.

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Gonna have to have competitive pricing to sway guys from the proven adapters that already exist. In for more information

·
Bet you were born naked, you SLUT!
909 Posts
I thought they had a 5.4 kit

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna have to have competitive pricing to sway guys from the proven adapters that already exist. In for more information
Has no one had issues with injector placement?

I just realized you're probably talking about a blower spacer possibly??? Not actually adapters to go between the manifold and the heads?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has no one had issues with injector placement?

I just realized you're probably talking about a blower spacer possibly??? Not actually adapters to go between the manifold and the heads?
You know something this was just on my mind the other day, I too am getting ready to order the Tork Tech kit with adapter/spacer and was wondering about the same thing. Honestly their haven't been many people who have gone this route were choosing and there is barely information online because of that

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
Can someone explain to me why this would work better than Johnny's plate? His is 3/4" taller than the stock. Would the low profile be lower than stock?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone explain to me why this would work better than Johnny's plate? His is 3/4" taller than the stock. Would the low profile be lower than stock?
Probably; it's going to be designed to fit under the hood of Mustangs. I can hardly fit a 5.4 N/A under the hood of my 2000 GT nvm one with a blower.

·
Registered
95 Posts
These aren't those kind of adapters Tork Tech intake manifold allows you to put a 4v 4.6L mustang blower on a 4.6L 2v PI heads, it comes in three pieces manifold and what I guess you would call two runners which the fuel injectors sit on. To use this kit on a 5.4L TT offers an adapter that fits in between the manifold and the runners which accommodate for the longer V on the 5.4L, but also pushes the injectors out away from the intake manifold which is what he's worried about

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts
:stoffer:

·
Registered
990 Posts
The 5.4 adapters won't mess with injector placement. The adapter is a spacer on the inside just taking up space between the runner and plenum.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The 5.4 adapters won't mess with injector placement. The adapter is a spacer on the inside just taking up space between the runner and plenum.
Right, thus moving the injector farther up and over toward the centerline of the engine. Unless I'm missing something?

A real intake would also mean no 1/2 inch spacer is needed, thus lowering the intake 1/2 inch more toward the engine and giving more firewall clearance.

Ok so I may see what you're saying, either that or I'm making things up hoping this is how the intake is designed.

In the smaller circle here I see a bolt? Maybe? That is removed (along with others I'm sure) and then the entire side of the intake comes off runners, injector mounts and all and the adapter is placed in between that and the inside of the plenum. So it actually widens the intake while leaving the injector placed properly?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
You know what intake would sell, and I'd buy one. An intercooler manifold that fits 4v navi heads and accepted a lightning blower.
They could sell them to the navigator crowd too for budget blower upgrade, as well as us lightning guys who want to upgrade to 4v heads. Without having to buy a new blower.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
good luck getting him to actually make these in a timely fashion....

only negative I see to this, is it involves swiitching the intakes to the passenger side instead of the driver side.

and my midplate does already allow for a 2.9 whipple to be used, and keeps stock air filter location.

what intercooler would be used? stock cobra i assume? Thats a lot of unnecessary cost having to buy all those other parts that arent currently compatible with the stock parts

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts
You know what intake would sell, and I'd buy one. An intercooler manifold that fits 4v navi heads and accepted a lightning blower.
They could sell them to the navigator crowd too for budget blower upgrade, as well as us lightning guys who want to upgrade to 4v heads. Without having to buy a new blower.
the M112 won't feed a dohc 5.4, so you'd have to buy a new blower

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been trying to get this done for the better part of a year. There's a thread somewhere. But I think I'm going to give up and just go TT on my 5.4 DOHC truck. Save the blower for the Mustang since it's stick and the TT for the truck since it's auto and I'd like as much out of pump gas as possible for my 150.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts
the other option, is any intake for a positive displacement supercharger for a coyote 5.0 can be used on a 5.4 with navigator heads

1 - 20 of 25 Posts