Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, Steve here from Central Texas. Getting back in the Lightning game, had a 99 in 99, just bought a 01, unmodded, 71K on the clock. Looking to service the transmission and put a punisher valve body in, going to swap pans when I do this, just curious if someone has the part number for the pan.

Also street or race on the valve body? Not going to race the truck, but want the firmer shifts for some spirited street driving and improving the longevity of the transmission. Thanks.

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
3,053 Posts
The advantage to a 4x4 pan is a drain plug . If you don't have a super low stance it is fine. best of both worlds is Moroso pan holds the same amount as 4x4 and sits flush and has drain plug

·
Registered
183 Posts
i fitted a stock sized pan with drain plug , got it from rock auto SKP SK265805

Reactions: Dusten

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
12,009 Posts
Go risk busting a lower hanging pan. If you got free towing like I do, not too big of deal. The point is to keep the trans fluid cooler and an external cooler does a far superior job of that. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
453 Posts
why would one need a part number for a trans pan when there's probably 6 at the local wreckers u-pick yard for about 20-25 bucks ..each?

a little aluminum polish and some BRASS wool from the marine supply shop and it will look just as or more pretty than anything you can buy

granted in the enviro aware age ..you might need to buy a drain plug as the wreckers are supposed to drain everything now a days before it goes to the yard or press

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
why would one need a part number for a trans pan when there's probably 6 at the local wreckers u-pick yard for about 20-25 bucks ..each?

a little aluminum polish and some BRASS wool from the marine supply shop and it will look just as or more pretty than anything you can buy

granted in the enviro aware age ..you might need to buy a drain plug as the wreckers are supposed to drain everything now a days before it goes to the yard or press
Because some of us would rather sit at home and order a part than crawl in the dirt at the wrecking yard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ever since I put the VB in I have serious trans issues. I think it’s trans tune and VB together. Street VB I don’t know. I don’t think it’s worth it I think stock trans is fine unless your at track

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Ever since I put the VB in I have serious trans issues. I think it’s trans tune and VB together. Street VB I don’t know. I don’t think it’s worth it I think stock trans is fine unless your at track
A valve body is beneficial even on a completely stock truck. It shortens shift time. Reduces slippage and over increases trans life. Not to mention it drastically improves the way they drive.

If you've had issues since a valve body install it was either already having issues you didn't notice, or the trans was tuned to change line pressure and when adding a valve body you created issues. Neither of those are the fault of the valve body.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts