Lightning Rodder banner

581 - 595 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ironically, only the 2nd time using my enclosed trailer for taking the HD to the track. I've used it more for hauling everyone else around, my SRT10, moving, etc. more than I have my own HD LOL

View attachment 541276

And full interior (still need a head unit lol, old one flew out on a launch years ago, and never got around to fixing it). Swapped to the kirkey only to safely run my belts, but left the passenger seat, console, and back seat all in. I may yank it for SF if I'm taking the cover off, just to put it 1 for 1 with how I'd typically run it.

View attachment 541277

And the video of my 2nd pass.....look at that pathetic burnout lol, told ya I wasn't exaggerating how bad that was! Sorry Carmelo, but I'm going to have to put a hurting on those hoosiers for SF lol

Good work Josh! It's still amazing what that truck has become. I still have my dyno sheet on my 2000 when with a tune all it put down was a pathetic 198rwhp. Granted, it's no where near your numbers now, but like you said....it's about the journey! Truck looks great, keep up the good work and let's see that monster break some records (and hearts)!!

Great "pandemic beard" BTW! Haha

·
Registered
430 Posts
Great update and what a journey. I haven’t been around long but I’ve always looked forward to your progress. Good luck at SF Josh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Congrats on getting it back down the track again Josh. Keep at it that truck is a monster.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
Thanks guys. It was worth the wait. Just as the large breaks in time in this build thread show, it hasn't been 4 years of wrenching to get here, it's been 4 years of everything else in life, with about 6 months of actual wrench time scattered about lol. This project hit right after our 2nd kid was born, then selling our house, buying another and moving, new house projects, work travel, time out at sea for work, you name it. Patience paid off though, it turned out awesome. I'm sure I'll have a few more things to adjust/tweak/fix, but it's all stepping stones along the way. I'm enjoying getting behind the wheel again instead of just under the hood lol.

I've got my goals for SF, but I'm not going to get greedy. Just like we could have easily hit 4 digits on the dyno, 944 on the second pull was good enough for now lol (pull 1 on 19 lbs, pull 2 & 3 aborted with battling belt slip, pull 4 finally got a belt to stick and made the 944). Plenty left on the table to go further, but I'm happy for now to get some seat time. We'll go back to the watering hole for more after I get the hang of launching the extra 200 rwhp that the truck easily made on 21 lbs over what my 2v made turnt up on 25 did! lol.

Those RPM belts are WAYYY better then the green ones.

Can’t wait to see it at Spookfest.
Well that's good to hear. I bought the green ones a couple years ago and forgot how cheap they were. Just doesn't seem right running a $25 belt LOL. But so many folks run those green Gates belts. Fortunately my 19 lb green belt was too loose, and my 21 lb green belt is stupid tight, and the RPM series belts were just between both of those. So I should have a tighter fitting one for the 19 lb combo, and a not-overly-tight one for the 21 lb combo. Should work out a bit better.

That’s bad ass...!
How old are those tires.., they dry out over time.
I sold my bogarts when I parted out the 2v combo. I knew it'd be a few years till I was out again, and those were only a year old tires back then. Didn't want to waste them so I sold them and my beloved blue center bogarts lol. These black bogarts and tires are borrowed from Carmelo. Pretty sure they're 2 years old. That's about as long as I'd keep my hoosiers before. Always seemed in year 3 they wouldn't do as well, so I may just have to finish these off for Carmelo lol.

Over the winter I plan to order some Weld's and MTs and get my own set again.

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Beautiful weather to finish out the short season! Was really hoping to run at Spookfest, but unfortunately after 2 reschedulings for weather, it was cancelled. Got lucky with nice weather recently, so made it to a Atco T&T last weekend.

Got a few more shakedown passes and it's coming around. Last time out I only got a whopping 2 passes at Cecil, so I'm still green on the combo. Track was slow, packed, and several oil downs, so I only got 3 more, but they were all progress. Got the burnout down nice again (they were pathetic at Cecil last month on those 2 passes lol). Prep wasn't the best though. No single best pass yet, but good progress!

Spun the first pass, which also causes the shifts to get funky, but still went within 1/10th of my best ever 1/8th despite a 2/10th slower sixty foot (went 6.4 @ 109 on a lame 1.56).

Second pass dummy me left the truck in 2nd gear! Did the burnout in 2nd and never popped it back in drive. Ran the identical mph to my all time best on the 2v (138.78) despite starting in 2nd, banging off the limiter at 7k, getting out to get it to accept drive, then back in it again. Huge back half gains that pass, nearly +40 mph from the 660 to 1320, which is 10 mph better than my 2v ever did on the back half gains. Got to the pits and realized I had ended up shredding the belt when it was bouncing off the 7k limiter and made a nice mess of belt threads everywhere lol. Fortunately the Gates RPM belt held together and didn't snap like the green one. Got to run DudeL on that 2nd pass, Mr. DoubleBulber haha. Messy passes for both of us, but still good time lining up L vs. HD regardless.

Third pass almost up in the lanes, they had an oil down, sat forever for cleanup, then they stopped prepping and let 100 Street cars go before slick cars, so I launched super soft just wanting a clean pass over anything fast, and still spun with an abysmal 1.78 sixty lol, and just nudged 140 on a lazy 10.8 pass lol. Stout mph on a lazy run and huge back half mph gains showing this thing has easy 9s all day long once I can get it to hook! And more when I turn the wick up as all this was on a whopping 19 lbs of boost, whereas my 2v combo would be 25 lb.

Only fit 3 runs in, but weather was perfect and had a great time... Truck is making progress after a long time out of the action! Looking forward to the spring! Swapped back to street trim for the winter months, and we'll get back out there in 2021.

And for folks that don't read and just skip to the pics, yes the pullies are aligned. It's all factory style GT500 stuff (CJ/GT500 crank, CJ/GT500 ATI balancer, CJ/GT500 lower intake, CJ/GT500 blower), it's definitely related to hitting the limiter. Snapped the green belt at Cecil when hitting the limiter in the burnout box (between me not used to the new setup and how quick it winds up, which is why at Atco I was doing it in 2nd for more control), and this happened on the pass where dummy me forgot it in 2nd and hit the limiter mid pass. It doesn't like that! lol. 5 passes in 4 years, and only 2 passes for the 2 years prior to that, I've gotta shake the dust off my routine behind the wheel again haha. It's nice to be back at it!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Forward progress is good progress! Good to see you’re back at it, Josh! Looks like you’re making it good family time too...

·
Administrator
18,441 Posts
Boys growing up fast. Pretty soon it will be time to start two more projects.

I can"t wait to see and hear yours run in the Spring. Too bad we lost out on the first Spookfest I was able to make in years.

Jim

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #591
Yeah it's crazy to think about, my last time out racing on my 2v at Spookfest 2016, my youngest (4 now) was only 2 weeks old (his due date was the week of Spookfest 2016!) and my first 9's were before my oldest (7 now) was even born (and his due date was the exact day of Spookfest 2013)! Crazy how time flies. We spent the cooldown time in the pits racing matchbox cars down the trailer haha. A gold gen 2 lightning vs. a black syclone matchbox lol

I'm sure they'll want to start racing once they're old enough, and heck I've already had nine HD's & Lightnings over the years, there will certainly be more to come as they get older!

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
What's eating up the belts?
Yup pretty sure it's whatevers going on when it hits the limiter. Pretty sure the alignment is spot on. The 1st belt snapped in the burnout box when it hit the limiter, and that cheap green gates belt just clean broke, didn't appear to jump grooves or anything. The 2nd belt was the gates RPM belt and that appears to have hopped off and then caught a lip and snagged somewhere and unraveled, and that happened on the pass I left in 2nd and hit the limiter mid pass. Tensioner is an upgraded billet unit. No other issues on 4 of my 5 passes, no issues on 4 dyno pulls.

581 - 595 of 595 Posts