Lightning Rodder banner

541 - 560 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
ha my dash is like a christmas tree.....airbag light is on, ABS light is on, there may be another one or two on also lol. Doesn't bother me, but one of these days when I pull the cluster out to fix the notorious cracked solder joint on the odometer display that makes it periodically blank out, I'll black out those bulbs. I deleted ABS years ago, and I also have the passenger airbag deleted......OMG no airbags gotta be a RACE truck.....shoot my '85 doesn't have airbags either lol. Saved a whopping 6 lbs IIRC, which offsets about the added weight of 1 additional door panel of the 2 extra doors I lug around over a Lightning lol.

haha I'm not quite digging the way the boost needle is going up! It hits 15 lbs just revving it up in park lol. I think I'll need to swap the 10% OD ATI balancer for a stock diameter. Waiting on Joel to fix the custom 4.25" upper he made me which should also help tame it down. That 4.9L KB moves some air!!!
i am loving it
i understand that its to much you don,t want to leave the start like that
bit it looks sick :bananahump

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
I sent my alt back to J2Fab back around June 22nd since it was acting up in the same way again with spiking to 16v and making the gauges all go nuts, then magically going back to 14, and bouncing back and forth. I took a video to show him. He replaced the voltage regulator with a regular one, rather than self-exciting single wire. I just got it back last week, which I was away on travel for work, so I finally have it back this week to work on again. Another quick month gone while waiting for the alt. It also came back with the insulator plastic on the main stud cracked.

Forget if I posted this or not as well, but I also got my replacement steering rack in. I ordered a tierod reamer so I can ream the spindles a bit further to fit the tierod in enough to get a cotter pin on the castle nut, since the powerrack setup the 01 explorer tierod ends don't protrude thru our spindles enough to get the cotter pin in. That's all sitting on the garage floor ready to go.

In the mean time just been cranking out wiring kits, and enjoying the summer time with the kids. Streaks of 90* weather don't have me itching to drive around with no a/c lol. I'm hoping to get motivated enough to get it back together within the next week.

Reactions: P_Franko03

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #548
Yup I'm paid up for SF.

If the truck isn't ready, I'll just run the Tesla or the SRT10 lol. Really hoping I'm set to go though.

I actually finally put my new steering rack in, dug out my dual core aluminum radiator and tossed that back in instead of my n/a single core, and I got the alt back in after j2fab replaced his defective voltage regulator in it. Fired it up last weekend and let it fully warm up. Fired right up! Alt appears to be working okay, but we'll see once I get some time on it. Rack is still bypassed, I just wanted to get the alt checked out first. This weekend I'll try to hook the rack lines back up if I get time. Not sure if I'll get any test drive time, town wide yard sale both days this weekend and hoping to clear out some stuff! lol

With any luck, I'll knock out some break-in miles this month, and head to JL in late sept/early oct for an easy race tune to step back into this fun again!

Now back to the garage.....but not to wrench on the HD lol.....ceramicoating the Tesla! So many toys, so little time!

·
Registered
746 Posts
So what did you have to change since you where set up for self-exciting single wire. Did you get any explanation of what had happened. I realize that you have a distraction with your other toys but ready to see some videos of what this beast will do. lol

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #550
A little bitter about that part. I originally had my factory alt wiring integrated into the custom top end harness I did. Then when trying to determine the pinout for the 3v style alt so I knew what connector to put on the harness at the alt side, I contacted J2Fab for pinout information. He told me it couldn't be done, couldn't do a 3v style alt with my 2v style control, but he could build me a single wire self-exciting unit and that was the only way to do it. So I bought his alt, not really believing it couldn't be done, but figuring i needed an upgraded at anyway, so I pulled the 2 control wires out of my top end harness before I finished the harness off. Fast forward, single wire alt was pegging 16v one minute, then not outputting at all the next minute. Sent it back after showing J2Fab video of the voltage gauge to prove to him it's acting up, and he sent it back with the 2 pin regulator style, exactly like my OEM unit, just a different connector plug. One takes switched 12v, the other takes constant 12v. So I had to dig back into the wiper cowl where my factory alt plug still was, and run 2 new wires down to the alt. Not as hidden/clean/integrated as it would have been from the start, but that's where we're at. I did ask him what as found bad, and he said he wasn't sure, he just replaced the self exciting regulator with the standard style regulator like my OEM unit.....what I had originally asked to do in the first place.

Reactions: 49FordLighting

·
Registered
746 Posts
I remember when you where talking about the 16 volts, I didn't realize that then it would stop outputting. So for his self-exciting single wire what is using to excite battery voltage? How many amps is your alternator putting out? I have thought about going to 16 volt for my project to combat voltage drop if i run into that issue with the efans and 12 volt water pump.

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #553
I remember when you where talking about the 16 volts, I didn't realize that then it would stop outputting. So for his self-exciting single wire what is using to excite battery voltage? How many amps is your alternator putting out? I have thought about going to 16 volt for my project to combat voltage drop if i run into that issue with the efans and 12 volt water pump.
I think there were separate issues going on. The alt was fine at idle RPM, but a little throttle blip and it'd jump to 15.8-16v and the factory electronics do NOT like that! Now some components may, but the PCM does NOT. It'd make the gauges all go haywire and the odometer blank out. Idle it'd be fine again. 1200 RPM it'd go nuts. That's something jacked up. Then I took it off to have it tested, tested fine, 14.5ish, put it back on, then it was working fine for a bit. Then next time fired it up, it just crapped out and output nothing. Then took it off to test again, tested good. Put it back on, and did the 16v crap again. Very flakey regulator. The self-exciting regulator did just that, nothing external to excite it, it just would measure the voltage internally. It's supposedly 270a.

I would not put 16v on your setup though just to combat voltage drop with efans and water pump, etc. A true 16v setup is outputting more than 16v, just like our truck is a 12v system and outputs 14.5. You'd need to do more than just slap a 16v alt on it. Some things need to be regulated back down to 12v system like the PCM unless you're going aftermarket standalone that can handle 16v.

Anyway onto the truck, I've just been so busy lately. I did take it for a spin last weekend, put 3.3 miles on it and drove it to the gas station & filled it up. Haven't done that in THREE years! lol Rack is still bypassed as I wanted to make sure the alt was fine before I potentially risked having PS issues to also troubleshoot. That seems okay (although limited test time, and I don't trust the j2fab alt any further than I could throw it), but this weekend I'm going to hook the 2 rack lines back up, and hopefully have PS restored. Then I can start knocking out some break-in miles. Truck drives really nice for never being tuned in drive yet. Last 2 times out we only got idle time for tuning with the oil & ps & alt issues popping up so it's yet to be on the rollers. For never being tuned in drive, it drives quite nice for such a radical combo from what the stock PCM was ever intended for lol.

Odds of making spookfest are looking bleak. It's Oct 4th now, SF is in 3 weeks, I've got 2 weeks of travel for work, 2 kids bdays coming up between now and then, and a new position at work that has me swamped as I transition into a new role, but it's all good things. Going to try and knock some miles out, just don't know if I'll have any opportunity the next 3 weeks to get it out to JLs to tune it and finally hit the rollers. Nov is looking decent as of now, so hopefully I can at least make it out for the JLP event, I don't want to go thru the winter before making a pass in it!

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Josh have you tried to go with a simple 220 amp Mechman AVBM alternator. I believe you can turn them up to do a 14 volt system if desired. I have this alternator but not the 14 volt setup. Mine is 7 years in the truck and I have been having voltage drop issues after half track. The alternator is on its way to Mechman as we speak as I believe the alternator has become the problem with voltage drop. I may turn it up and switch to the 14 volt setup but I need to buy a special battery charger for that

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #555
Josh have you tried to go with a simple 220 amp Mechman AVBM alternator. I believe you can turn them up to do a 14 volt system if desired. I have this alternator but not the 14 volt setup. Mine is 7 years in the truck and I have been having voltage drop issues after half track. The alternator is on its way to Mechman as we speak as I believe the alternator has become the problem with voltage drop. I may turn it up and switch to the 14 volt setup but I need to buy a special battery charger for that
Dude, I never had a single issue with my JLP 300a alt. That thing ran great no matter how much drain I threw on it. I'm 4v though now (unlike your imaginary 4v like you announced in your video shoot LOL), and the alt is completely different, so I had to buy a new one. I tried to find the best of the best in the mustang world, and j2fab was everywhere, and even vendors like lethalperformance sell his alts. I bought one, and it's been a dude and issues left and right. It's working now, but it's still on the weak side at low RPMs. I have another 3v style alt to use on my setup that I may have a local alt shop rebuild to the right style regulator that I need.

ANyway another update. No time for pics right now, but I hit a small but significant milestone compared to the last 3 years.....I put over 50 miles on the truck this weekend! Who said this thing can't street anymore? lol Took it out Saturday and Sunday and went on a 26 mile cruise each day. Went smooth, ps is hooked back up and works great. Very happy to be back behind the wheel and cruising! Pics/vids on fb.

October is crazy busy for me so unfortunately I don't have much free time to finish what I have left, but I'm still aiming to get some passes in it before the end of the year.

-finish break-in miles, aiming for ~300 (250 to go! going to drive it to work a couple days coming up if weather cooperates)
-get an alignment (things are slightly off after changing the rack out since the tierod ends needed a little mod on the new rack)
-get it TUNED (JL only tuned it in park so far, because the last 2 attempts the gremlins popped up before we could even hit the rollers. It's close enough to drive around and get some miles, but it needs to go WOT on the dyno before I make a full pull since there's a LOT different stuff going on now with the 4v on the stock PCM and that blower moving gobs of air, and those 1500 injectors dumping lots of fuel)

·
14,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #557
Man, 3 month update, I've been MIA for a while!

A few days after my last post, I got a phonecall from work, and got a new job assignment that I was really not aiming for (along the lines of "you've been doing a great job, so we're going to punish you for it" LOL!). Despite trying to stay 1 foot back from the center of things, I somehow roped myself in too far, and I can't even go into details on what I deal with now lol. That transpired quickly into several trips around the country as I transitioned to my new position, and ate up every bit of my free time the last few months. That left me flying home on a redeye the morning of spookfest to at least attend as a spectator lol, but zero time to get the truck ready.

I did get ~250 miles on the truck this past fall, and got out to JLPs around early December and got the tune dialed in. FINALLY hit the rollers, AND the street, and it's running pretty friggin schweet considering how insane the combo is on a factory 02 HD PCM lol. Boost is absurd though. We didn't even do a full pull, since it was hitting 20 lbs with a blip of the throttle lol. I need to drastically pulley down (currently 10% OD w/ 4" upper....aiming for 10% UD w/ 4.25 upper) before we make a full pull or she'd pry see 40+ lbs of boost lol. That 4.9 is PEPPY! So we got it dialed in around town, and its awesome to be able to cruise. I'll get a 10% UD balancer and get back out there in the spring to get it dialed in for race season 2020!

Aside from that, truck has just been collecting dust. Been spending a lot of time on the latest greatest war ship, then when I'm home, I actually got my garage pretty set up. Finally boxed the ceiling out for the lift, I can park the tesla underneath. Finally got lights, and boy did I get lights. I went from two incandescent bulbs to seven 8 ft LED fixtures lol. Had blown-in insulation done in the garage so it's toasty for this winter, painted & pinstriped the upper halves of the walls, and finished "decorating" the garage with my other wall art for the garage. I gotta get pics up in my garage thread. Really happy with how it turned out.

While the truck has been collecting dust, 2019 was a grand slam on HDCircuitry stuff, best year by far. Really fortunate on that front! Even placed a deposit on a 2022 Tesla Cybertruck! lol The badazz 10.8 sec 1/4 mile tri-motor version! Fugly, but fast as hell and can tow 14k lbs and still run 2.9 sec 0 to 60!

Also started to get into 3D printing, and getting addicted to that lol....standby for some cool new ideas built from there!

HD is turn key ready to go for 2020, and just need to drop the boost down and I'll be ready to rip for 2020! Already 300 miles around the streets of NJ.....heck that's more than some folks have ran in all their 1/4 mile trailer queen passes combined! haha

·
Registered
430 Posts
Good to see you back Josh. Thanks for the updates. I can’t wait to see what your truck will do this spring. It’s an amazing build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
Man, 3 month update, I've been MIA for a while!

A few days after my last post, I got a phonecall from work, and got a new job assignment that I was really not aiming for (along the lines of "you've been doing a great job, so we're going to punish you for it" LOL!). Despite trying to stay 1 foot back from the center of things, I somehow roped myself in too far, and I can't even go into details on what I deal with now lol. That transpired quickly into several trips around the country as I transitioned to my new position, and ate up every bit of my free time the last few months. That left me flying home on a redeye the morning of spookfest to at least attend as a spectator lol, but zero time to get the truck ready.

I did get ~250 miles on the truck this past fall, and got out to JLPs around early December and got the tune dialed in. FINALLY hit the rollers, AND the street, and it's running pretty friggin schweet considering how insane the combo is on a factory 02 HD PCM lol. Boost is absurd though. We didn't even do a full pull, since it was hitting 20 lbs with a blip of the throttle lol. I need to drastically pulley down (currently 10% OD w/ 4" upper....aiming for 10% UD w/ 4.25 upper) before we make a full pull or she'd pry see 40+ lbs of boost lol. That 4.9 is PEPPY! So we got it dialed in around town, and its awesome to be able to cruise. I'll get a 10% UD balancer and get back out there in the spring to get it dialed in for race season 2020!

Aside from that, truck has just been collecting dust. Been spending a lot of time on the latest greatest war ship, then when I'm home, I actually got my garage pretty set up. Finally boxed the ceiling out for the lift, I can park the tesla underneath. Finally got lights, and boy did I get lights. I went from two incandescent bulbs to seven 8 ft LED fixtures lol. Had blown-in insulation done in the garage so it's toasty for this winter, painted & pinstriped the upper halves of the walls, and finished "decorating" the garage with my other wall art for the garage. I gotta get pics up in my garage thread. Really happy with how it turned out.

While the truck has been collecting dust, 2019 was a grand slam on HDCircuitry stuff, best year by far. Really fortunate on that front! Even placed a deposit on a 2022 Tesla Cybertruck! lol The badazz 10.8 sec 1/4 mile tri-motor version! Fugly, but fast as hell and can tow 14k lbs and still run 2.9 sec 0 to 60!

Also started to get into 3D printing, and getting addicted to that lol....standby for some cool new ideas built from there!

HD is turn key ready to go for 2020, and just need to drop the boost down and I'll be ready to rip for 2020! Already 300 miles around the streets of NJ.....heck that's more than some folks have ran in all their 1/4 mile trailer queen passes combined! haha
Welcome back Josh! Sounds like you're doing well and the truck is getting where you want it! Congrats on the promotion/assignment...it's weird how things happen like that?! (You're not dealing with the LCS class, are you?).
That garage must be a Taj Mahal compared to your old 1 car! lol Best of luck this year.....now bring on the pictures!
;)

541 - 560 of 595 Posts