Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a stock 2001 lightning with 86,300 miles on it. The previous owner had been sick and passed away so it has been neglected as far as maintenance goes. Right now I am working on servicing everything and am about to clean the intercooler along with plugs, cops, and install a catch can. I might as well get a pulley and tune it while I have it all part.
My question is which pulley will I be safe with on a motor with 86,000 miles on it?
This is not my daily driver and will have the stock exhaust until I have enough money to change it out. Truck doesn’t seem like it was beat on and the engine sounds healthy with no abnormal sounds coming from it. No plans to race or excessive WOT runs. Maybe a dyno run when I have it all complete. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
4 lber is safer and a lot easier to live with.

Jim

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
But a 6 is more fun.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,251 Posts
6# you don't have to plant your foot down the whole time and at least if you decide to up grade it's done already.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,884 Posts
Since you said you cant get exhaust because you need to save. That leads me to believe you arent prepared for a new engine or trans. If that is true, then keep it stock pulleys.

If i am wrong, then 4lb lower with a stock eaton, 6lb with a joker ported eaton. Regardless, control them IAT2's! Dont forget, mag plugs and a GOOD tune.

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,251 Posts
Since you said you cant get exhaust because you need to save. That leads me to believe you arent prepared for a new engine or trans. If that is true, then keep it stock pulleys.

If i am wrong, then 4lb lower with a stock eaton, 6lb with a joker ported eaton. Regardless, control them IAT2's! Dont forget, mag plugs and a GOOD tune.
^^^ this. You can always buy what you want and wait to install and get tuned for a later date.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Here is a package that will provide everything you need to do this safely and properly.

http://www.teamjdm.com/1999-2004-lightning-harley-davidson-performance-package-upgrade-stage-2/

The 6lb pulley only adds about 10 more HP but the extra torque and heat is what puts stress on the internals. If you want to play it safe stick with the 4lb pulley you can always upgrade the ring size if you add headers and cooling upgrades.

JimIII
But how much more torque does a 6lb make over a 4lb?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
You should see about 15-20lb/ft more torque with a 6lb vs. the 4lb. Also a couple higher degree intake temp intake temperature when your tromping on the throttle [smilie=3g[/quote]
that's IAT2 increase temp correct ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should see about 15-20lb/ft more torque with a 6lb vs. the 4lb. Also a couple higher degree intake temp intake temperature when your tromping on the throttle [smilie=3g[/quote]

I appreciate the sound advice. I think the 4lb is the way to go. I will seriousley look into your package when i get to the motor.

·
Innovator of the Bombassani exhaust
2,428 Posts
you will be wanting a 6 soon after the 4... trust me on this

·
Registered
180 Posts
soo true^^^^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts