Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I searched, but particularities weren't found.

I noticed NEAL said he gained MPG by switching to4.10's.
HANKFAN noticed about a 300 rpm increase at cruising speed when he switched from 3.55 to 4.10's.

This is what I want to know.

Right now my '99 L puts down 435/522 with a conservative street tune. If I swap out the 3.55 for 4.10's what size slicks should I run? I am currently using a 28" Hoosier slick and I do NOT have a traction issue at all.

At what RPM do you cross the line with 4.10 gears and what tire size are you using? Also how much power are you making?

I'd like to find someone who has close to my power running 28" slicks and see what RPM they cross the line at.

I've read that you'll get sick of the 4.10's after a while. WHY? I drive my truck about 4-5000 miles per year, and I want to enjoy it.

I can get a KILLER deal on the gears and install so the price is the same if I go to 3.73 or 4.10 gears...

Also, besides the Odometer and speedometer being off, is there any reason to get a chip reburn? The computer will be reading the speedo wrong, will this affect the way the truck runs?

Lastly, How is street driving on Stock F1's in the summer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I've had 4.10s since I bought the truck over a year ago and don't really have any complaints. I also don't drive a lot of highway either and if I do I usually cruise at 75 wich will put me around 2500 rpm, 90 will be at 3000 so that kind of sucks but it keeps me from speeding on trips. I'm putting down about the same power 438/520 and I am hopefully getting some slicks soon, you should be fine with your 28''s , thats what I'm going with. I tried 26'' once and could not hook up, and on street tires I have to baby it off the line, right now my best is a 8.27 in 60 degree weather. What kind of times are you seeing?

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
I am running 4:10's and I started a thread about what size of slicks to run. I got one response to use a 30" slick by brent. But that seems to be a little to big.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Couple comments...

and I do NOT have a traction issue at all.
:LOL Yeah I noticed that... in my rearview mirror. [smilie=xxrotflmao.gif]

28" tall tires w/4.10s would be good for 110mph at 5400rpms.
30" tall tires w/4.10s would be good for 117mph at 5400rpms.

You'll be fine IMO. Actually given your mods for this year it would be just about perfect to maximize what you've got.
Later if you step up the power you could just get a taller tire.

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts