Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
RP-SPEED.COM
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are as many of the build pics as I could find for John's full build we did on his 2004 L... Enjoy!

Starter pics...

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Very cool

I like the 2x4 trick a lot!!!!!!!

What pulley combo are you guys running?

·
RP-SPEED.COM
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also just to let you all know... Every build we do is documented just like this one, so there will never be a question to anyone about what was or wasn't done when we build your vehicle. All pictures are provided to you the customer and initial startup/dyno videos as well. Thanks!

·
RP-SPEED.COM
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool

I like the 2x4 trick a lot!!!!!!!

What pulley combo are you guys running?
4 upper 4 lower she makes about 20-22psi of boost... With the current tune which is an email tune she made 605/660whp @ 4000rpm and she started to see low 12s A/F so the dyno operator let off. We will be adding a 3rd pump, 80lb injectors, and a full line upgrade for a little overkill to support the 700-750whp we are hoping for when all said and done. He has been driving the truck for over a month on the current set-up with no issues at all, but we still want it to see it's full potential.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
wow wow weee wow!

love the way the whipple sits in our motor bays... gonna be time to get me one soon..

great build and documentation brotha!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
4 upper 4 lower she makes about 20-22psi of boost... With the current tune which is an email tune she made 605/660whp @ 4000rpm and she started to see low 12s A/F so the dyno operator let off. We will be adding a 3rd pump, 80lb injectors, and a full line upgrade for a little overkill to support the 700-750whp we are hoping for when all said and done. He has been driving the truck for over a month on the current set-up with no issues at all, but we still want it to see it's full potential.
Very nice. I went to 75s and 3 255s at the same point as well.

She is going to be a beast for sure.

If you are going to track it a lot get a good sized ice box.

Any plans to swap out the plenum?

·
RP-SPEED.COM
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I think we will be leaving the plenum as is unless it proves to be a huge restriction as far as meeting our goal then we may upgrade from there, but as of now I am very happy with where she is considering the fuel consumption issue. We are actually considering trying out a killer chiller as I have heard good things when they are hooked up properly, got any feedback on that? He will track it once in a while, but ultimately it is a dd so it doesn't have to be 100% track worthy.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Actually I think we will be leaving the plenum as is unless it proves to be a huge restriction as far as meeting our goal then we may upgrade from there, but as of now I am very happy with where she is considering the fuel consumption issue. We are actually considering trying out a killer chiller as I have heard good things when they are hooked up properly, got any feedback on that? He will track it once in a while, but ultimately it is a dd so it doesn't have to be 100% track worthy.
They are great for a DD. I ran the Icey Res and on the street under normal driving it was fine. At the track it raises engine temps and its not a good trade off.

At the track is were the 3.4 make too much heat. At 20# you will be over 150 degrees by the 1/8th

I have not tested an aftermarket plenum yet so I am not sure how much it will help.

Casey was still seeing high temps and using N20 and an ice box to cool it down and he ran 1/8 mile tracks.

I know the plenum is a weak link but its not the silver bullet.

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
Awesome build and documentation.

I love my Killer Chiller, it solved my high IAT2 issues immediately. Plus being in Florida I have my A/C on all year round.

But I only have a whipple 2.3. Not sure how it would work with that much heat pushing at it from a 3.4 whipple.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Luke. Who is the lucky guy thay drives this truck LOL. Great work as always brother.

·
RP-SPEED.COM
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got her to the dyno for a tuning session today and on the first full pass she blew a head gasket, so we will begin tear down tomorrow. As far as I know right now it doesn't seem like anything to crazy, but I have a feeling the email tune was allowing the truck to run a little lean at times which was causing some detonation that John had complained about prior and this was possibly just the end of that issue. Air temps were good, A/F was 11.5-11.6 with 14* timing when she let go so there was definitely an underlying issue that we will hopefully uncover in the next day or so. The price of making power... Arrrrrrgh!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts