Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was something on or in this paint that was brutal. It looked like a real bad case of clear coat failure.
He actually brought it to me as a last resort. Body shop repaint quoted him $12,500 to repaint the car.
We all know you do not want to repaint if you do not have to. I devalues the vehicle and is never the same.

I did a little 18"x18" test spot in the middle of his hood and whatever it was came off using...
Scholl`s S3, Flex 3401 and a LC Force Hybrid Orange Pad. The test spot looked awesome!
I followed that up with a Rupes 21, Scholl`s S30 and S40 polish and LC finishing pads.

Interestingly enough...at the time I was booked up over a month in advance.
We made the appointment for a month away and I kinda expected him to forget/or bail.
I contacted him two days before the appointment and he was anxious to give it a go.
The funny part was him pulling up in a M3 with a real shiny spot in the middle of his hood.

I wasn`t cheap but I was a lot less the 12k and he had original OEM paint looking better than brand new.
I`m not much for 50/50 shots as my (old) iPhone has a lens smaller than a pencil eraser. but here goes...

The top of the before/after is the only shot I have of what his hood looked like.
It looked like total CC failure! You can see the tape line in the fluorescent light.

The End

Needless to say he was absolutely blown away when I was done!

Thanks for looking...

·
local painter
3,147 Posts
Very nice work:bigtu
The intro to the vid is very professional.

·
The Lone Wolf
909 Posts
Very nice work here. Love t hat M3, I've wanted one for years.

Keep up the good work. Your stuff is amazing:cheers

·
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice work here. Love t hat M3, I've wanted one for years.

Keep up the good work. Your stuff is amazing:cheers
I could tell this was his "Pride and Joy" but the paint surface looked horrible.

When he came to pick it up...
He was like a 6 year old on Christmas morning...just bouncing and giggling!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It almost looks like a chemical was used to clean the surface or spilled on it and by doing so the chemical etched into the clear coat.

·
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It almost looks like a chemical was used to clean the surface or spilled on it and by doing so the chemical etched into the clear coat.
Yes, that's kinda what it looked like. It also looked like total clear coat failure. IronX/clay bars didn't make a dent.
In the end in behaved like a real bad overspray that had the exact same appearance of clear coat failure.
Oddly enough the clear was not etched and measured pretty thick with a Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG).

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,545 Posts
looks fantastic

·
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:bigtu:bigtu:bigtu
...and he left me a nice review...

"All I can say is WOW! I am truly blown away with the work Mike did on my 2003 BMW M3. I had a good amount of swirls and oxidation on my 15 year old beauty and I was hesitant about doing a full paint job for the price. I found Mike online and immediately reached out to him. Bought my car to him and he did a test spot to show me what can be done. My eyes dropped just off the test spot. He has brought my car back to showroom condition. Thank you so much for bringing this car back to life, I'm still speechless. Customer for life!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts