Lightning Rodder banner
121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I got my passenger seat and console lid back from the upholstery shop today. One step closer to having it back together. I plan to put some time into it in the morning.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I'm getting so close to having this thing buttoned up. Still need to do a little wiring for the reverse lights and reverse lockout. And I need to do my console shifter boot. I've got something special planned for that. Hope to get to it this week. Apparently, I forgot take pictures after I installed the big rubber boot on the floor.

Interior turned out pretty good. I'm not really happy with the upholstery work, but it'll do for now. On to the pictures!

After installing the carpet, I cut it open around the shifter, and pulled the carpet back in flaps. I didn't actually remove any of the carpet or sound damping material. After this picture, I installed a big rubber shift boot onto the floor, and sealed the base with body sealer. I layed the carpet back up against the boot, and installed the console.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
All pictures except the first shifter picture show the transmission in 1st gear. The shift lever gets kind of close, but never contacts the console.

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,889 Posts
Dude used a jack stand to hold the carpet. Thats what im taking about! Coming alone good man. I'm itching to order a venom gen 2 shifter since I can't find anyone to fiber glass my Old shift boot area smaller.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
I knew that I wanted to fit the shift boot to somewhere in about the middle of the sides of the pocket in the console. I couldn't figure out a good way to attach the boot. I ended up scanning the console pocket, using that to design a boot bezel in CAD, and then printed it on our 3D printer at work. I had the upholstery guy wrap the bezel, then put it into the pocket around the shift arm.

The idea looked a little better in my head, but the result is good enough for now.

Scanned Console

Bezel. Forgot to take a picture of the actual 3D printed part.

The Result

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
looks great, might be worth it to re do my lever and go with a similar design.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Finally got some back up lights and my reverse lockout working. Just a shift knob away from having everything the way I want it.

I wired my reverse lockout into the brake lights (Thanks svt-BansheeMan). As I was pulling out of the shop tonight, I thought of another way I might try to hook it up. Like a lot of Lightning owners, I removed my windshield washer reservoir for a larger intercooler reservoir. The washer fluid pump pigtail is still under the hood. I could hook up the reverse lockout to that. Then you'd have to push the washer fluid button to get reverse.

After muscling past the reverse solenoid for so long, it feels so much better working the way it was designed.

I've got a long interstate trip planned tomorrow, so I'm hoping to see some good interstate-only fuel economy numbers. Based on the around town improvement, I'm fully expecting to see 20+ mpg.

·
Aka 2003_lightning
12,222 Posts
Keep us updated. The washer circuit sounds like a good method as well

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,889 Posts
I'm glad it worked for you. I like the washer button idea. How hard is it to disable the wipers working when that button is pressed?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Hadn't even thought about the fact that the wipers move when you push that button. Good catch. I would have been disappointed the first time I put it in reverse. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to disable that.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·

·
10 second street truck
11,872 Posts
Did you ever put together a parts list? I read through the whole thread, but didn't see anything.
How's the stock hydraulics holding up?

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
11,889 Posts
My stock hydraulics held up to the day i went with an aftermarket slave then i started having problems after problems. I lost my slave about 10 min from home. I had zero clutch by the time i pulled into my car port.

·
10 second street truck
11,872 Posts
My stock hydraulics held up to the day i went with an aftermarket slave then i started having problems after problems. I lost my slave about 10 min from home. I had zero clutch by the time i pulled into my car port.
Right, im trying to basically find out the setup hes running.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I guess I never put up the full list in one post.

Purchased parts:

-T56 Magnum (wide gear ratio)
-Any Ford mod motor to T56 bell (I used McLeod)
-8-bolt Ford mod motor flywheel (lightened steel from American Powertrain)
-Pilot bushing (for 03/04 Cobra)
-flywheel bolts (ARP for 03/04 Cobra)
-03/04 Mustang Cobra clutch set (Science Friction from American Powertrain)
-Hydramax TOB, clutch line, and adapter for F-150 master clutch master (from American Powertrain)
-4" Aluminum driveshaft 3.5" longer than stock with C6-style yoke (from Action Machine)
-Electrical connectors for reverse lock-out and reverse lights (Pep Boys electrical section)
-97-2003 F-150 clutch master cylinder and fluid reservoir (AutoZone)
-Clutch position switch for 97-2003 F-150 (junkyard)
-Clutch/Brake pedal assembly from 97-2003 F-150 (junkyard, cleaned and painted)
-Lokar shift lever (Summit # LOK-MSL6B2)
-American Powertrain Shift knob

Custom:

-Trans Mount 2" offset plate
-Shifter base
-A lot of interior parts from 98-2003 Expedition and 97-2003 manual trans F-150 to get the fit/finish the way I think Ford would have sold it.
-Custom ECU tuning done by me.

Reactions: Junglejoe

·
10 second street truck
11,872 Posts
I guess I never put up the full list in one post.

Purchased parts:

-T56 Magnum (wide gear ratio)
-Any Ford mod motor to T56 bell (I used McLeod)
-8-bolt Ford mod motor flywheel (lightened steel from American Powertrain)
-Pilot bushing (for 03/04 Cobra)
-flywheel bolts (ARP for 03/04 Cobra)
-03/04 Mustang Cobra clutch set (Science Friction from American Powertrain)
-Hydramax TOB, clutch line, and adapter for F-150 master clutch master (from American Powertrain)
-4" Aluminum driveshaft 3.5" longer than stock with C6-style yoke (from Action Machine)
-Electrical connectors for reverse lock-out and reverse lights (Pep Boys electrical section)
-97-2003 F-150 clutch master cylinder and fluid reservoir (AutoZone)
-Clutch position switch for 97-2003 F-150 (junkyard)
-Clutch/Brake pedal assembly from 97-2003 F-150 (junkyard, cleaned and painted)
-Lokar shift lever (Summit # LOK-MSL6B2)
-American Powertrain Shift knob

Custom:

-Trans Mount 2" offset plate
-Shifter base
-A lot of interior parts from 98-2003 Expedition and 97-2003 manual trans F-150 to get the fit/finish the way I think Ford would have sold it.
-Custom ECU tuning done by me.
Awesome list. I already have a console and buckets, so that alleviates a small cost.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Oh, and my hydraulics are holding up with no issue so far. I've put just under 10,000 miles on the setup. I'm running the F-150 master from Autozone and the Hydramax slave. I've driven stock high performance cars with stiffer clutch pedals than mine. I've never driven another 6 speed swapped Lightning, but I seem to have figured out the best combo for the clutch. At least based on feedback I've seen from others.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts