Lightning Rodder banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Finally got a video for you guys. It's not too exciting. Mostly just cruising through town. I got on it a couple times. This thing definitely feels stronger with the manual transmission, and it's so much more fun. It really is a completely different vehicle. Now that I've put a few miles on it, the surging at low rpm while slipping the clutch seems to be getting better.

http://youtu.be/A5gc6JUnewk

·
Former Rowing Team.
11,855 Posts
great video and driving. You sure did far better than i did once i completed my swap.

As far as your comment on it feeling stronger, it definitely does. I forgot about that huge benefit of it since it's been so long since i had the auto.

It seems your drivability is far better than mine unless it's just the video. I guess it's my cams. I thought about doing something closer to stock but id miss the rough idle.

Either way, im very glad you are enjoying it. Now you can take your time and button it up. Button it up now correctly while is nearly gutted and that will save you some time down the road. I still havent fully finished my interior yet. Also a big note, you need to insulate wear the hole in the floor is for the shifter. A LOT of noise comes from there. Even if you put a bath towel around there and the console on top, it quiets it down A LOT. That's just an example. I really need to make some sort of rubber gasket for mine. How....im not sure. I think exhaust fumes come up from mine since i smell it sometimes(i'm catless).

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Driveability is really good. Once I got the settings right in the tune, it's been great. Haven't had a single stall. There is still some more tweaking I want to do to eliminate some of the popping on decel.

As for sealing up the hole in the floor, I plan to make a cover plate. It will have a flange in the middle to fit a CV axle boot. The skinny end of the boot can seal to the shifter. I'll cover it in sound insulation, and it should be pretty good.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Not yet. I'm still looking through catalogs to see if something off the shelf will work. If not, I'll start fab'ing up something. I'm working tonight to get the documentation updated on the shifter assembly. I'll start pricing parts with manufacturers tomorrow.

·
Former Rowing Team.
11,855 Posts
MGW said it would be close to $1000 to make a one of shifter. Perhaps after machine time, tooling, material, it may be best to go with them. Just throwing that out there. Id pay near that much for a MGW shifter IF it was a head of my B&M. However, with this newly built trans, i have zero complaints with my shifter.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I found this LoKar shift lever.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LOK-MSL6B2

It looks like it should be the perfect shape for fitting up through the console. I ordered one from Summit this afternoon, and should have it tomorrow. Assuming it shows up, I'll fit it tomorrow night, and post back.

I really need to get started having my passenger seat cut down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Tenntechman
Estimated, how much time and money do you have invested up to this point and how much do you think you will have invested when finally completed. Looks and sounds great. I am jealous. Also what mods have you done to your engine? Seems like more powerful than stock.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
The bulk of my mods are listed in my signature. It's a stock long block with bolt ons. 6lb lower is what is used in that video.

Tremec price-fixes the cost of new transmissions, so you get the same price no matter who you buy it from (in theory). I think the T56 Magnum is going for just over $3k now. I'd have to do some number crunching to come up with a total. After all the incidentals, I think you'd end up a little over $5000 total. Probably not more than $6000. I also haven't had my passenger seat cut down yet.

Time-wise, I've got a lot in it. Being the first to put in this transmission and use these hydraulics, there was a lot of "figuring" time. I also built a completely custom shifter mechanism. It was about a 6 month calendar process. I worked on it pretty passively, and had a lot of other stuff going on in my life at the same time. With all the parts on hand, copying my build, I think a person could get to the point of a test drive within a weekend or two.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's pretty accurate, I'm prolly around 6k right now, but of course I bought the hydromax kit and only used the tob. The drive shaft and the shifter are the last on the purchase list I think.!

·
Former Rowing Team.
11,855 Posts
3k trans, 200-400 shifter, 1k clutch, 400-500 drive shaft, cut down seat 350, tune 200-500, pedal assembly, clutch master and slave near 600 for me. It adds up fast. That isnt everything.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I got the LoKar shift lever in on Friday.

When I test fit it with the console it wasn't quite far enough forward to clear the shifter hole. I ended up making an offset bracket to get it in place.

This is how it fits in my console now.

The B&M T-handle is temporary, I think. It was just something I had laying around the garage. I want something with the shift pattern on it. I don't want anything that's completely metal. Nothing more annoying than a blazing hot shift knob. I've been leaning towards a 03/04 Cobra shift knob, and running the shift boot all the way to the bottom of the knob to cover up the polished lever.

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I took some undercarriage pictures a week or two ago, and am just now getting around to posting them.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Bummer. The line they sent me is just about perfect. I didn't think to measure the length of it before I installed it. Probably should have.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Lookin' good keep up the good work. I need to get around to finishing my center console soon!

101 - 120 of 148 Posts