Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which is my better bang for the buck. i have quite a bit done so all normal upgrades aside, I am at the point of either changing the heads from the factory to a Trickflo twisted wedge 185, 44cc and the cams to a stage 2 OR keeping those stock and switching out the S/C to a whipple 2.9 and a smaller pulley. My current S/C has been upgraded to its peak level, so after install duty/shipping to Canada and a tune there's very little difference in the price. So reaching out to the group, which would be better option??

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts
Stock motor? The whipple.

If you want trickflow heads get the bare castings. Have a reputable shp install valves, guides and springs.

Reactions: Painless Autoworks

·
Registered
273 Posts
The supercharger is a better upgrade and alot less work to install and more potential in the long run than the heads. Cooler intake Temps also

·
10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,635 Posts
The supercharger is a better upgrade and alot less work to install and more potential in the long run than the heads. Cooler intake Temps also
Agreed. I would never do heads and cams on a stock motor. The stock blower is capable of pushing the engine last it's limits. Heads and cams are a lot of work for very little gain on a stock engine.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Sir,
Understanding the meaning of "combo" is essential here. You won't realize the potential of the Whipple using stock PI heads. The TF heads are of superior design in every meaning of the word...most importantly, port shape. With any engine, whether it be a 5.4, LS, or a damn hemi, horsepower begins at the intake valve seat. I agree with @Dusten when he stated concerns regarding the stock engine. My suggestion, especially with the boob we have in the White House, is to continue to save your money until such time you can upgrade the short block in order to take advantage of either mod.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sir,
Understanding the meaning of "combo" is essential here. You won't realize the potential of the Whipple using stock PI heads. The TF heads are of superior design in every meaning of the word...most importantly, port shape. With any engine, whether it be a 5.4, LS, or a damn hemi, horsepower begins at the intake valve seat. I agree with @Dusten when he stated concerns regarding the stock engine. My suggestion, especially with the boob we have in the White House, is to continue to save your money until such time you can upgrade the short block in order to take advantage of either mod.
I'm just curious what political party affiliation has to do with a Whipple vs. Trick Flow heads...

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,658 Posts
Just wondering which is my better bang for the buck. i have quite a bit done so all normal upgrades aside, I am at the point of either changing the heads from the factory to a Trickflo twisted wedge 185, 44cc and the cams to a stage 2 OR keeping those stock and switching out the S/C to a whipple 2.9 and a smaller pulley. My current S/C has been upgraded to its peak level, so after install duty/shipping to Canada and a tune there's very little difference in the price. So reaching out to the group, which would be better option??
Are you on a stock block? And what is your current blower?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm just curious what political party affiliation has to do with a Whipple vs. Trick Flow heads...
Sir,
Quite simple really. Biden is cutting jobs right and left. Gas prices are soaring. Has not delivered stimulus as promised. Economy is in a downward spiral. Spending money on either mod right now may not be the best decision, because it may be needed later. I did NOT mention a political party in my reply. That Sir, is an assumption on your part.

Keith

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You can play the semantics game all you want but mention of a party, or more accurately disapproval of a party's policies and actions, was certainly inferred in your post.

And is this really the place to air your political grievances...it's a truck forum, man. Lots of other forums one could join to engage in witty political banter but I'm hoping this one doesn't become one of them.

OP asks a legit question and the devolution begins.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You can play the semantics game all you want but mention of a party, or more accurately disapproval of a party's policies and actions, was certainly inferred in your post.

And is this really the place to air your political grievances...it's a truck forum, man. Lots of other forums one could join to engage in witty political banter but I'm hoping this one doesn't become one of them.

OP asks a legit question and the devolution begins.
Sir,
Games? Inferred? I extended you the courtesy of explaining the "cherry picked" section of ONE sentence out of respect. But I really don't give a rat's ass if you, or anybody else for that matter, like what I type or not. Saying One person in Arizona is a boob, does NOT "infer" everyone in Arizona is a boob. Furthermore, I typed my thoughts on the two options OP listed and suggested a third. That's a hell-of-lot more than you've done. We now have two options:
1. Drop the BS now and remain cordial...as we have in the past
2. opposite of no.1
I will be waiting at "bash or be bashed" if that is what you decide.

Keith

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I find it ironic that I received a PM from someone after my initial response essentially reiterating how they are so tired of everything being politicized, which I think you'd be hard-pressed to claim you didn't do, and that politics don't belong in a technical forum.

I'll admit you provided good feedback to the OP's question and I'm guessing that over a beer we'd discover we're far more similar than different, I just choose not to inject my personal views into discussions where they're not germane to what's actually being discussed.

That being said, if the OP is in a position where he feels he can do one or the other, I'd go the Whipple route as there are far more gains to be had and allows for 'head room' in the future should he decide to move to a built motor with heads/cams.

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,658 Posts
I'm still waiting for the OP to state whether he has a stock block or not.....

·
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block
2,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I find it ironic that I received a PM from someone after my initial response essentially reiterating how they are so tired of everything being politicized, which I think you'd be hard-pressed to claim you didn't do, and that politics don't belong in a technical forum.

I'll admit you provided good feedback to the OP's question and I'm guessing that over a beer we'd discover we're far more similar than different, I just choose not to inject my personal views into discussions where they're not germane to what's actually being discussed.

That being said, if the OP is in a position where he feels he can do one or the other, I'd go the Whipple route as there are far more gains to be had and allows for 'head room' in the future should he decide to move to a built motor with heads/cams.
Sir,
"over a beer"? How about several? Give us more time to talk about......golf balls.

Keith

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Whipple 2.9 on my shop trucks totally stock 151k mile engine makes just north of 500hp on E85 with 600ftlbs of torque on tap. Its fun as hell and its been that way for over 2 years. If you drive it like an adult and dont try to race lambo's at 140mph it will live a long life. Just get the right parts and a good tune. Hit me up if I can be of any help at www.woodbinemotorsports.com

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm still waiting for the OP to state whether he has a stock block or not.....
Sir,
I don't think there is anything more disrespectful than to start a thread, and then not even acknowledge the information others have taken the time to share.

Keith

1 - 19 of 19 Posts