Lightning Rodder banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
That's just it isn't it? Tehn why not run the largest blower ever? The answer or course is torque. Why does the 2.3 make a fat/immediate boost curve while the bigger blowers require significant RPM to make power? Why does the 2.3 from Whipple continue to punch above it's weight?
Show me a bigger blower with a softer low end torque curve....

My 2.9 hits way fucking harder than my 2.3 did with a softer pulley combo

3.75/8lb vs 3.25/8lb

My 2.9 makes instant boost. A PD blower doesn't need rpm to make boost

The 2.9 has already shown to be worth well over a tenth better than a 2.3 on a truck that's only made a handful of passes on the 2.9 without the advantage of mineshaft air and a track rental.
And at the et's these trucks are at a tenth is fucking huge.

How many 2.3's are trapping 140+?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I ran a 2.3 and now run a 3.4

The 3.4 lost the initial low end hit at similar boost levels compared to the 2.3 Whipple. It was noticable and I "almost" regretted it. Now at 26# the 3.4 is a monster and the low end hit just blows the tires off

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
I ran a 2.3 and now run a 3.4

The 3.4 lost the initial low end hit at similar boost levels compared to the 2.3 Whipple. It was noticable and I "almost" regretted it. Now at 26# the 3.4 is a monster and the low end hit just blows the tires off
The 3.4 is way out of its compressor map at lower boost. The 2.9 comes pullied for low boost.

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
This is what I was trying to say. Obviously a Higher reving race engine running E85 you'd see the benefits of big boost but a 2.3 is hard to beat for a Pump Gas Street truck.
Have you actually driven a pump gas 2.9?
I have... The low end hit is not missing.

·
Boost0holic
147 Posts
Have you actually driven a pump gas 2.9?
I have... The low end hit is not missing.

I was speaking with JDM earlier and they stated that:

"both blowers hit peak boost immediately the 2.3 L will just pack more torque earlier".

I lost a ton of low end going from a simple cat back to an American Racing Exhaust System with 1 7/8 Primaries and 3.0 back with no cats. Lost 2 PSI of boost too (14-12) but that is simply a measure of restriction. Why would JDM say that the 2.3 Hits harder sooner?

FYI JDM is having a KILLER sale right now on Whipples. The 2.9 is about $400 more FWIW.

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
I was speaking with JDM earlier and they stated that:

"both blowers hit peak boost immediately the 2.3 L will just pack more torque earlier".

I lost a ton of low end going from a simple cat back to an American Racing Exhaust System with 1 7/8 Primaries and 3.0 back with no cats. Lost 2 PSI of boost too (14-12) but that is simply a measure of restriction. Why would JDM say that the 2.3 Hits harder sooner.

FYI JDM is having a KILLER sale right now on Whipples. The 2.9 is about $400 more FWIW.

I want to see dyno's of both.

If both hit peak boost at the same instant it's simple fucking physics that the 2.9 will make more power. It's moving significantly more air.

But basically what I get from your post is that your preaching something to be fact with zero real world experience or proof. Cool story.

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
Also, that's not a killer deal.

I paid the same price shipped(4150 with extra pulley) for a gen 4 from jj @ wms without a sale

His price every day.

·
Boost0holic
147 Posts
I want to see dyno's of both.

If both hit peak boost at the same instant it's simple fucking physics that the 2.9 will make more power. It's moving significantly more air.

But basically what I get from your post is that your preaching something to be fact with zero real world experience or proof. Cool story.

Also not true. People have posted their results going to a much larger blower and losing low end. Also when JDM says that it is so it carries some weight. That is all I am saying.

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
Also not true. People have posted their results going to a much larger blower and losing low end. Also when JDM says that it is so it carries some weight. That is all I am saying.
I want proof from a 2.3 to a 2.9 since that's the argument. It's not a much larger blower. It's a bit larger and much more efficient

Having gone from a 2.3 to a 2.9 I didn't lose bottom end. Frankly my truck is less treetable due to traction issues.

But until you can provide any fucking proof at all you're just spouting bullshit. Hell you don't even have any actual fucking experience. You're claiming one blower is far superior without having owned both.

2.9 faster at the track
2.9 same iat as 2.3 while making more power
2.9 makes more power

2.3 is better how?

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
And why the fuck did I get a phone call from jdm?

·
local painter
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
I was just responding the remark of show me a bigger blower that has a softer torque curve and the 3.4 fits the bill... The 2.9 is about the perfect sized compressor imo although I have never driven a truck with one. However I have driven my dad's gen 2 with a 2.3 and now a 3.4. Also in my opinion once you get around the 600hp mark on the street you can't notice much bump in torque with street tires. Heck my gen 1 probably makes about 550 or so to the tire and on street tires I can haze them to 80mph lol. Only way you can actually tell is with back to back testing at the track on same tune and boost to see what it 60'. Feeling on the street is useless.

·
11 second street truck
10,061 Posts
I was just responding the remark of show me a bigger blower that has a softer torque curve and the 3.4 fits the bill... The 2.9 is about the perfect sized compressor imo although I have never driven a truck with one. However I have driven my dad's gen 2 with a 2.3 and now a 3.4. Also in my opinion once you get around the 600hp mark on the street you can't notice much bump in torque with street tires. Heck my gen 1 probably makes about 550 or so to the tire and on street tires I can haze them to 80mph lol. Only way you can actually tell is with back to back testing at the track on same tune and boost to see what it 60'. Feeling on the street is useless.
None of that was really directed at you

81 - 95 of 95 Posts