Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 99 L....have own a 02L. I have heard and was told at one time there is things to know about owning a 99L. Just trying to get a sense of what I may be up against in buying it. I would appreciate any insight into owning a 99.

·
Jeffv333
2,215 Posts
Tails have 3 bulbs.
Maf is a 80mm rather than 90mm
No door code lock
No upper center console that displays temp etc
12mm studs rather than 14mm
Different pitman arm size
No turn signals on mirrors
3rd brake light is different
Infamous IC 9row leak
Pressed on camshaft sprockets
Different crank sprocket and trigger wheel
And I’m not 100% on this one but there is a plug on the Torque converter that you can take off to drain it.
And I’ll name more when I remember...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Tails have 3 bulbs.
Maf is a 80mm rather than 90mm
No door code lock
No upper center console that displays temp etc
12mm studs rather than 14mm
Different pitman arm size
No turn signals on mirrors
3rd brake light is different
Infamous IC 9row leak
Pressed on camshaft sprockets
Different crank sprocket and trigger wheel
And I’m not 100% on this one but there is a plug on the Torque converter that you can take off to drain it.
And I’ll name more when I remember...
Nice. I didn't know most of that stuff.

-I think the mirrors were painted black on all the 99's.
-The trailor hitch was an option for that year as well and not standard equipment.
-In 99 the starting MSRP for a L was less than $30K.
-They used Monroe (I believe) shocks instead of Bilstein.
-Their blower setup was as efficient in the 99/00 trucks. (maybe the intake)
-They use 3.55's instead of 3.73's.
-I think they were missing the interior grab handles.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
9,778 Posts
A lot of the stuff on 99's was the same on 2000's as well. 3 bulb tails for instance. The tails changed to the clear two bulb ones in 2001. I bought a 2000 new in July 2000. I'll have to look at my old pictures, but I think the mirrors were black as well.

·
AntiSocial
17 X3 35i, 18 Equinox LT 2.0T, 21 M550i -July production
767 Posts
A ot of the stuff on 99's was the same on 2000's as well. 3 bulb tails for instance. The tails changed to the clear two bulb ones in 2001. I bought a 2000 new in July 2000. I'll have to look at my old pictures, but I think the mirrors were black as well.
The 2000s have 2 bulb tails, and body color mirrors.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
99-00 have the intercooler recall to look out for, I think it was a 9 row and the 01+ are 10 row

When I found out my intercooler was leaking (99 model) I went to the dealer and they tried to sell me a new intercooler and midplate for like 1600, so I found myself shopping for 01+ parts all around.

Ended up scoring an 01+ midplate when I went to buy a 01+ 10row I/C, so I shopped and got a good deal on the 01+ S/C

Then I learned that the bolt pattern was different on the lower manifold and ended up having to find an 01+ lower manifold.

A big difference is in the lower manifold too. The bolt pattern change from 99 to 01 also changed the intake to head runners. In the 99-00 lower manifold the front and rear intake runners are narrow and the middle 2 are wider. In the 01+ lower manifold all of the intake runners are equal (or more equal, they looked equal).

Also learned the IAT sensor in the lower manifold moved in the 01+'s, had to add about a foot or two to the connection, 35k miles later no probs.

Other than that I think other posters nailed most of the differences.

The 99 did not have the side mirror blinkers, but when one of my mirrors got knocked off (Basketball goal fell in the wind and took the passenger side out) I threw some aftermarket mirrors on with blinkers and they hooked right up / started working so the connections are all there.

I'd be mostly interested in the intercooler situation though if I had to do it all again with a 99.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow. This is a GREAT post!!!! ??
I have an 00 and I guess time to look for some blinker side mirrors - does anyone know if the HD trucks also have the same blinking side mirrors?

·
AntiSocial
767 Posts
Are these all wired for the signal mirrors? If its just a swap I'll probably grab a pair.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are these all wired for the signal mirrors? If its just a swap I'll probably grab a pair.
That’s what I’m hoping as well. But also want to know if it’s just specific to Lightning’s or can we also use HD mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AntiSocial
767 Posts
Would be even better if we could use Expedition or Navigator mirrors. Those have signals too.

·
Jeffv333
2,215 Posts
Not sure on that,

but I picked up a door lock code set up, and you gotta run wire for that. I’m not even sure if the module will work under the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
In '04 I bought signal mirrors from Ford. I believe they were for Expeditions and F150s. They were plug and play in my '00. Still working great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts