Lightning Rodder banner

Juan’s Bad A$$ L build

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  juan1 
#1 ·
I bough my truck a year ago from an older couple, it was one of those just going leave it the way it is, but little by little the darn thing has snow balled into to full forged build with truck flow heads and KB 2.3, I’m still debating what cams to get as I will most likely drive the truck everyday(way to much fun not to do so) hopefully I get to update this thread as the rest of the parts keep piling up

Here is the block is a Jdm motor that was on the truck for only 7 pulls before going with a different set up, I’m taking it to the machine shop I want them to go through everything before I install it even tho it got refreshed according to the old owner

Trick flow heads 38cc chambers I don’t know if they are 185s or 195s, I got a deal I couldn’t pass up on

Also have a set of PI head that are Cnc ported but I have no idea by who but they have springs and retainers bronze guides and lager valves for Iwhat I could see

j

And here is the KB 2.3 with jlp sheet metal intake

I might be asking a bunch of stupid questions since this is my first v8 build! I done a bunch of my race bikes but nothing to this scale so I’m sorry in advance guys lol [emoji23]

See less See more
#7 ·
That’s what I’m hoping for I can’t wait to hear it [emoji48] and feel the difference to my ported heaton

I have modular head shop stage 3 heads with stage 3 cams and I’ve been daily driving mine without any problems. IMO a stage 3 cam isn’t too aggressive for DD’ing.

Hell im even on 17X7 skinnies up front.

I have to look at those I think I made my mind and I’m going to used the trick flows I have to check, cause I do drive my truck every day so cam selection is going to be very important

Nice. If you have anything o get rid of post it up. We all love parts. Post progress when you can, and let us know how it comes together. Good luck with the build.

Thanks! I’m deff going to update the thread as I get parts in and assemble things, also im going to put a few things for sale like my stock short and the Ported P.I. heads

Well, I'm on 18 X 7 as well. Although skinnier than stock, I really don't consider a 225 or 235 to be real skinny. There are guys on this forum running 4 inch front rims and suitably skinny tires. Too skinny AFAIC. I'd be afraid to use the brakes too aggressively with front tires that small. But it sure looks cool. Seen a few stangs around my area with front tires like that.

I’m going to keep the stock wheels on I’m not a hardcore drag racer, I just want to have fun with the truck I would be afraid to put skinny’s on it as I do drive the things sometimes 300 or 400 Mile trips for no reason just for the love of driving the thing

it's great seeing build threads

Thanks! this truck is been a long time waited for me as I couldn’t afford one back when they came out and not the tables have turn so I’m taking advantage and doing as much as I can

#5 ·
Hell im even on 17X7 skinnies up front.
Well, I'm on 18 X 7 as well. Although skinnier than stock, I really don't consider a 225 or 235 to be real skinny. There are guys on this forum running 4 inch front rims and suitably skinny tires. Too skinny AFAIC. I'd be afraid to use the brakes too aggressively with front tires that small. But it sure looks cool. Seen a few stangs around my area with front tires like that.

#8 ·
Definitely right Stoff, we need more of this to keep us entertained on here lol

OP: Nice truck man looks like you are ready for big power with that JDM engine. Best of luck with your build. What are your goals???

Reactions: juan1
#10 ·
Thanks bud! I try to keep it clean, I’m just going to keep it at around 500hp to the wheels I want the truck to last as long as I own it, i need a decent machine shop to have them look at the block once over just to make sure is on working order and also one of the pivot guides need to be replaced, I’m not going to get greedy and throw all the power I can to it

Mine doesn't....

The 195 doesn't come in a 38cc, so that pretty much settles it. The real question is are the track heats or not, which will dictate the valve springs on them.

Thanks! I guess that sums it up, I know they are 185s then, also know they are from summit racing cause they are the only ones that use cnc chambers, now just have to see what springs are on it see if I need to swap them out to suit the cam I pick for the build, also would you happen to have a video of your truck I will like to hear it

#11 ·
Thanks bud! I try to keep it clean, I’m just going to keep it at around 500hp to the wheels I want the truck to last as long as I own it, i need a decent machine shop to have them look at the block once over just to make sure is on working order and also one of the pivot guides need to be replaced, I’m not going to get greedy and throw all the power I can to it

Thanks! I guess that sums it up, I know they are 185s then, also know they are from summit racing cause they are the only ones that use cnc chambers, now just have to see what springs are on it see if I need to swap them out to suit the cam I pick for the build, also would you happen to have a video of your truck I will like to hear it
When I built my truck I had 4 goals, cornering, a 500+hp dyno sheet, and 11.xx time slip and DD reliability. That last one kept me from really putting the wood to the truck, but I managed to do all 4.

#13 ·
with a built bottomend, heads, and cams, and a 2.3 KB and sheetmetal plenum you should have no problem laying down 600 rwhp on that setup. You can make 500 rwhp safely with that 2.3 KB on a stock block, with a bottom end heads & cams that should be a walk in the park, and 10 second passes.

I'd go with stage 3 cams as well, with the tuning capability now days, they can get them dialed in perfectly fine for DD use, and they sound awesome, and who doesn't love more power!

Reactions: clemsontravis
#14 ·
with a built bottomend, heads, and cams, and a 2.3 KB and sheetmetal plenum you should have no problem laying down 600 rwhp on that setup. You can make 500 rwhp safely with that 2.3 KB on a stock block, with a bottom end heads & cams that should be a walk in the park, and 10 second passes.

I'd go with stage 3 cams as well, with the tuning capability now days, they can get them dialed in perfectly fine for DD use, and they sound awesome, and who doesn't love more power!

That’s the goal I want to have a safe truck on the street and if I go to the track I will like to be able to turn the thing up with no problems, also what stage 3 can you recommend I been looking at different one and there is a bunch of different options out there

#19 ·
Well I know it’s been a while and life happens I had the truck build on hold but hopefully I’m able to restart the build, I been hoarding parts hopefully I get to drop the block to the machine shop this weekend have them go over make sure is ready for assemble, mean while I pick up Logan’s old kB to throw on the pile of parts, this thing is getting out of hand lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.