Been Slacking ... - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Been Slacking ...

Well I'm just about done with my house remodel finally and my little guy just turned 1 so its been an extremely busy last 2+ years. Not to mention I work a reg 60hr job a week and am going to fire school at nights. I've finally had to say its time to do something for me and get back to working on this truck. I have slowly been accumulating little parts here and there but nothing major that made me feel worthy of posting but this morning that changed.

I just got off the phone with Paul at American Powertrain. He help me put the transmission together and get the ball rolling on this longggggg project.

I ordered a T-56 Magnum, with quick time bell housing and also their shifter that they have built to be using in our lightnings.

This has done 2 things to my project
1. its gotten the ball rolling again and makes me feel much better about getting back in the garage.
2. Its changed the direction of my project as a whole.
- The originally plan was basically gutting the truck and building a full on, badass race truck for the mile. This included a fully built GT motor with a set of twins.
- The truck is now going 6 speed to have more of the fun factor to it and allow me to use the truck more in hopes that my son will one day learn and enjoy these things like I have. The truck will still get the GT motor as I have already acquired its and its sitting in the garage. Just have to assemble the long block. But the biggest thing is the truck is now going to get either a 4.5L whipple or larger KB. @harley356 I may be in touch about the 4.7 haha. I also already have the GT lower manifold and intercooler setup so I'll be going twin injector as well.

I will keep everything posted once the time comes but for now that is all.

BTW trying to figure out a new way to post some pictures since photobucket is not the same any more.

Bill

1999 Ford Lightning 872 of 4000 Cocaine
Twin Turbo full Ford GT Build in Progress
2003 Black Cobra Coupe w/ Dark Charcoal 1 of 1,618 # 5,560
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:09 PM

im excited to see where your truck goes. as of right now im 85% committed to doing the 6 speed in my truck as well with american powertrain an hour away
from where i live it gives me an extra push to start work on my truck, hopefully you and i will be the next up for the 6 speed conversion, and help out each other along the way. reading through the threads simplifies the job to get it done but obviously we will encounter something that we with both have to work around.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SVT_TLF View Post
im excited to see where your truck goes. as of right now im 85% committed to doing the 6 speed in my truck as well with american powertrain an hour away
from where i live it gives me an extra push to start work on my truck, hopefully you and i will be the next up for the 6 speed conversion, and help out each other along the way. reading through the threads simplifies the job to get it done but obviously we will encounter something that we with both have to work around.
For sure, I forgot to mention I ordered the extreme version from them. Paul said its going to take about 4 to 5 weeks before I actually see it. The truck wont be up and running right away as I'm still down on the motor side of things as well but nice to start planning and building ahead.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Willy View Post
For sure, I forgot to mention I ordered the extreme version from them. Paul said its going to take about 4 to 5 weeks before I actually see it. The truck wont be up and running right away as I'm still down on the motor side of things as well but nice to start planning and building ahead.
thats not a bad time fame, yes im definitely planing on what i need and dont so it can be an almost stress free install, hoping to find out more about the wiring and whats needed, i will be going with the t56 magnum. This weekend im taking a trip to the junk yard for plastics and key release if i find an extra i will pull it for you so you can eliminate that off your to do list.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SVT_TLF View Post
thats not a bad time fame, yes im definitely planing on what i need and dont so it can be an almost stress free install, hoping to find out more about the wiring and whats needed, i will be going with the t56 magnum. This weekend im taking a trip to the junk yard for plastics and key release if i find an extra i will pull it for you so you can eliminate that off your to do list.
I would greatly appreciate that. I saw you found a pedal assembly already for yourself, if you happen to stumble upon another I still need that as well. I would gladly pay you for the parts and your time via pay pal if that is the case for anything.

As for wiring, the main thing I have seen so far is the speedo sensor which from my findings we have several options. I do plan on going full hydraulic TOB setup as well.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Site Supporter

I'm glad another one is getting swapped.

You won't need to do any wiring for the speedo sensor. The Magnum has a sensor that your factory plug connects directly to. I had to adjust the speedo constant in my tune to get it calibrated correctly.

As for wiring I did do:
1. I bypassed the gear position sensor. I shorted it into the neutral position.
2. You'll want to wire something to activate the reverse lockout on the trans. I hooked mine up to the brakelight switch, so that I can only get reverse with my foot on the brakes. Be careful downshifting from 6th to 5th with your foot on the brake.

-Aaron

2001 Silver Lightning (0/4/6lb lower, Home-port blower, C&L Plenum and Elbow, Accufab SBTB, Dynatech LT and mid's, Bassani cat back, T56 Magnum, Mark VIII fan, Binary Editor/POPS MNAE0 Strategy)
2003 SVT Focus (former SCCA AutoX car)
1998 SVT Contour (3.0L swapped daily driver)
1991 Geo Metro 5-door (mid-engine Ford 3.0L LeMons racecar)
2001 Mazda MPV RaceVan (Twin Ford 3.0L's LeMons racecar)
1996 Winnebago Brave (460 Ford with Banks PowerPack and TransCommander)
2008 RX-8 40AE (wife's car)
2014 CX-5 GT (wife's other car)
1986 Ford Ranger 4x4 (junk hauler)

I sell Mark VIII fan adapter kits.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTechMan View Post

You won't need to do any wiring for the speedo sensor. The Magnum has a sensor that your factory plug connects directly to. I had to adjust the speedo constant in my tune to get it calibrated correctly.

As for wiring I did do:
2. You'll want to wire something to activate the reverse lockout on the trans. I hooked mine up to the brakelight switch, so that I can only get reverse with my foot on the brakes. Be careful downshifting from 6th to 5th with your foot on the brake.
just sent you a pm before seeing this, thank you for clearing everything up and very smart idea with the brake switch, im excited to get the ball rolling on my swap. ive been watching the 6 speed builds since 2014 and now have the funds to get what i need for the swap
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Willy View Post
I would greatly appreciate that. I saw you found a pedal assembly already for yourself, if you happen to stumble upon another I still need that as well. I would gladly pay you for the parts and your time via pay pal if that is the case for anything.

As for wiring, the main thing I have seen so far is the speedo sensor which from my findings we have several options. I do plan on going full hydraulic TOB setup as well.
i will be on the look out for the parts that you need and i will grab them for you
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTechMan View Post

As for wiring I did do:
Thanks for the heads up on this. Makes things much more clear.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just got word from American Powertain the my magnum is shipping today. Needless to say I/m a little pumped to get this moving. I ordered the Extreme with a quick time bell housing and there shifter.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just an update on what showed up today. Tremec Magnumber wide ratio with quick time bell housing.

I can't thank Paul at American Powertrain enough with all the help on getting this built and shipped out. Hes been able to answer just about every single answer I've had about this so far. and now I'm excited to get the crossmember mocked up and put into the truck.

Untitled by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:13 PM

Pretty nice there! I'm watching on how you do this