STI vs. Regular WRX - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By baja5bss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

STI vs. Regular WRX

Hey guys, I know this is a Lightning forum but it's the only one I am a part of, lol. I know opinions will vary from some that will be useful to some that will be useless but I figured I'd ask to see if you guys can help me make a decision. Being that a lot of people here are gear heads it might be a good place to start.

I currently own 2015 WRX premium with 21k miles on it and it's been paid off for years. It's basically my daily driver at this point with the L and SRT-10 being secondary vehicles. I've kept in touch with my old salesman in Tucson, AZ with since the day I bought it and said he could be pretty aggressive on pricing on the new 2019 STI's. If go through with it, I'll go with the base STI (no leather, etc.) since it still has all the stuff I care about. My car is probably worth around $20k (private party wouldn't be that much more) as a trade-in and I might be able to score the STI for about $35k or maybe a little less (salesman won't be back in office until end of week to work out the numbers).

With that, I would be basically paying around $15k out the door for a brand new STI. If I was to drop money on the equivalent aftermarket parts that include suspension, big brake kit, etc., it almost becomes a wash price wise.

Thoughts?

2002 True Blue Lightning
2004 Flame Red Ram SRT-10
2015 Pearl White WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM

To be honest. I would keep what you have and leave it alone performance wise. Get bigger brakes if you want them,etc. Keep it as reliable as the platform can be. My ex-general manager still has a I believe 08/09 sti to this day(hatchback) and has had all sorts of problems. But then again its heavily modded. Do they still have engine issues @ 100k miles or did they fix those problems? (impreza's,more so sti's had engine failures around 100k miles even if they were unmolested).

I also know that at one time wrx transmissions were "made of glass" for a while,so if thats not the case with yours,I would keep it. You already have 2 toys that can be made pretty quick/fast. No need to worry about a 3rd unless you just enjoy throwing money out the window. But you make it,so do with it what you want.
MIKECR250 and dark_knight like this.

2.3 whipple,built motor,jj fuel system,a1 trans
Pb so far 11.06 @ 124 with a 1.55 60'.

Last edited by baja5bss; 05-14-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja5bss View Post
To be honest. I would keep what you have and leave it alone performance wise. Get bigger breaks if you want them,etc. Keep it as reliable as the platform can be. My ex-general manager still has a I believe 08/09 sti to this day(hatchback) and has had all sorts of problems. But then again its heavily modded. Do they still have engine issues @ 100k miles or did they fix those problems? (impreza's,more so sti's had engine failures around 100k miles even if they were unmolested).

I also know that at one time wrx transmissions were "made of glass" for a while,so if thats not the case with yours,I would keep it. You already have 2 toys that can be made pretty quick/fast. No need to worry about a 3rd unless you just enjoy throwing money out the window. But you make it,so do with it what you want.
Yeah that's sound advise. My WRX is bone stock minus the Corsa catback and some visual goodies. Plus it's in my favorite color of pearl white metallic. At this point I'm 50/50 with it depending on the numbers. If I went with the STI, I would just swap my Corsa onto it but everything else would stay stock. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be reliable if kept stock.

2002 True Blue Lightning
2015 Pearl White WRX
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Fresh to Death

I think you'd be jumping out a little early if you wanted to be in the black here but I also don't know how much you bought it for so I can't say for sure. Is your goal for this decision to make out on investments? Or you getting the new vehicle itch?

If the latter why not something different for $35k? My guess is your looking new with factory warranties? If not I got a long list for you haha.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM
BagsR4groceries eBay built

They are grenades. Look up ringland issues on them cars. Head gaskets are mandatory for 100k timing belt water pump change You think a lightning is a money pit it’s cheaper to build a Honda and make it fast

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah think the more I think about it, I'll stick with what I got. Nothing beats having all my vehicles paid off, all 3 of them. I'm nowhere near wealthy but I have a solid job and work hard for what I have.

Warranty on a new car is a non-issue and my WRX has what is equivalent to an extended warranty through my insurance company, plus I still have the manufacturer power train for about another year.

2002 True Blue Lightning
2015 Pearl White WRX