Spark plug gap tool - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
BagsR4groceries eBay built
 
BlowerWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: allentown pa
Posts: 8,855
Rep Power: 40871914
           
Spark plug gap tool

I’m looking for a legit spark plug gapper. Not the cheap $2 one at the parts counter but an accurate one. Someone once sent me a link awhile ago I forgot what it was

BlowerWhore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Boss Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,693
Rep Power: 21867864
           
Garage
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...BoC_vYQAvD_BwE

I have one similar to this one. For the life of me I can't remember where I got it. @the12fast4u might recall or someone else that's on facebook.


I don't recall how it started or why but I'm sure I'm to blame.
Boss Hoss is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Stock Block [email protected]
 
Mrjexer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Antonio,Tx.
Posts: 3,082
Rep Power: 57411048
           
Garage
41f8FsJ8KaL._SX425_.jpg

[SIGPIC]
92 GSXR 1100-8.80's
88 Cougar-5.0/5sp
00 L Cornfed
07 Ranger-DD
Mrjexer is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 962
Rep Power: 9741964
           
There was a group buy on FB a couple year ago for this one:


https://www.buckperformance.com/Spar...r2aV7kFJvCyprw


Some people complained about the finish for what it cost. I just did my plugs and it worked well.
stoffer and dannyrok like this.
MJBumpy is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
BagsR4groceries eBay built
 
BlowerWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: allentown pa
Posts: 8,855
Rep Power: 40871914
           
Those are nice

BlowerWhore is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:06 AM
2.9 Whipple E85R
 
Certified Drunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 10,125
Rep Power: 71583245
           
I got the Buck tool, makes consistently the same gap every time.
stoffer and dannyrok like this.

The foot say's go, The Light say's No!
Certified Drunk is online now  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Pilsung
 
P_Franko03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PHX AZ
Posts: 247
Rep Power: 6282095
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Drunk View Post
I got the Buck tool, makes consistently the same gap every time.
+1 ^
dannyrok likes this.

P_Franko03 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
BagsR4groceries eBay built
 
BlowerWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: allentown pa
Posts: 8,855
Rep Power: 40871914
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Drunk View Post
I got the Buck tool, makes consistently the same gap every time.
I’ll get that one

BlowerWhore is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Boss Hoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,693
Rep Power: 21867864
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBumpy View Post
There was a group buy on FB a couple year ago for this one:


https://www.buckperformance.com/Spar...r2aV7kFJvCyprw


Some people complained about the finish for what it cost. I just did my plugs and it worked well.
Yep, this is the one I have that I couldn't think of.


I don't recall how it started or why but I'm sure I'm to blame.
Boss Hoss is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:25 PM
I paid my buck-o-five
 
stoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: missing Texas...
Posts: 75,104
Rep Power: 71585431
           
Garage
i got one as well, no issue out of it
dannyrok likes this.


Ď03 Harley
Ď02 Lightning (dohc twin turbo)
Ď01 Lightning (promod project)
Ď01 lifted Eaton swapped F150
Ď00 Lightning (Wicked)
stoffer is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:32 AM
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
 
Harley#356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 14,275
Rep Power: 71583432
           
I got the buck performance tool, it's definitely worth it, best one I've used to date. Just set the gap about 2 thou below what you want though, because the electrode will spring back a tiny bit.


Some folks did complain about the finish, but I'll stand by my opinion that they're just idiots lol. Yes it's not a polished bling bling finish to the tool, you won't win any extra car show points from setting it out under the hood doing a mock up of a spark plug change for a cool staged theme at your local car show and have people say WOW look at that shiny polished spark plug gap tool! It's a frigging hand tool. It is very well made, there's no sharp edges or un-deburred edges, it all fits together nicely, works smoothly, so what the aluminum isn't polished, and so what you can see the tool path from the CNC cutter. Oh and yes the feeler gauges can slide around a bit....ON PURPOSE so you can slide them to align with where the plug gap is at. Folks that complain it wasn't show-y enough should just put the tools down in the toolbox and back away.....and I'm all for nice stuff, but some of their gripes were really bogus lol
txjiujitsu likes this.


M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 820/875, [email protected]
D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, [email protected] (SOLD 10/15/11)
REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #???? of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, [email protected]_91.71
GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint
Harley#356 is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
BagsR4groceries eBay built
 
BlowerWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: allentown pa
Posts: 8,855
Rep Power: 40871914
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
I got the buck performance tool, it's definitely worth it, best one I've used to date. Just set the gap about 2 thou below what you want though, because the electrode will spring back a tiny bit.


Some folks did complain about the finish, but I'll stand by my opinion that they're just idiots lol. Yes it's not a polished bling bling finish to the tool, you won't win any extra car show points from setting it out under the hood doing a mock up of a spark plug change for a cool staged theme at your local car show and have people say WOW look at that shiny polished spark plug gap tool! It's a frigging hand tool. It is very well made, there's no sharp edges or un-deburred edges, it all fits together nicely, works smoothly, so what the aluminum isn't polished, and so what you can see the tool path from the CNC cutter. Oh and yes the feeler gauges can slide around a bit....ON PURPOSE so you can slide them to align with where the plug gap is at. Folks that complain it wasn't show-y enough should just put the tools down in the toolbox and back away.....and I'm all for nice stuff, but some of their gripes were really bogus lol
I heard that. I don’t care how it looks as long as it works. Shit my hand tools are hand me downs from junkyards or used cars I buy lol I buy from harbor freight as much as possible considering it’s minutes from my house lol

BlowerWhore is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
chesster51's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middleburg, FL
Posts: 1,731
Rep Power: 16300748
           
I have this one, works fine and half the price https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Soluti...%2C160&sr=8-11


2.3 whipple/Built/JDM Heads & Cams 617/708 with belt slip on 93 and 11* timing
Tuned by [email protected] Redline Performance
chesster51 is online now  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:00 AM
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
 
Harley#356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 14,275
Rep Power: 71583432
           
^good find. the one thing to mention is the buck tool has feeler gauges built in to swing into the gap, but it'd be easy enough to just use your own feeler gauges to set the gap on the tool. I think buck had a group buy run or sale price around the 40 range before, but it's been a while and I don't recall exactly.


M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 820/875, [email protected]
D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, [email protected] (SOLD 10/15/11)
REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #???? of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, [email protected]_91.71
GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint
Harley#356 is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 PM
Unfortunate Compulsive Modder
 
Shoobs99svt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 490
Rep Power: 10129093
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesster51 View Post
I have this one, works fine and half the price https://www.amazon.com/Torque-Soluti...%2C160&sr=8-11
Same one here in black

2004 Silver Metallic #1495
[email protected], 429/523

1999 Rio Red Cobra #2063 SOLD
[email protected], 305/300


Shoobs99svt is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome