CUSTOM SHROUD LABELS - LIGHTNING & HARLEY - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Even Then I Was Old Skool!

Garage
CUSTOM SHROUD LABELS - LIGHTNING & HARLEY

Figured I might as well add some info on the shroud labels here. I got tired of looking at my cheesy, half-peeled off OEM labels and decided I had to do something... so I did. I designed my own!

These labels are one-piece and replace the two (2) shroud labels, but if you insist, I can make a two-piece setup. To install my full-width labels, you need to remove the small vertical bead on the Passenger side of the label area. It can be done very easily with a ordinary razor-blade paint scraper or with a wood chisel. You just have to work at a steep angle so that you don't gouge the shroud. Once the bead is removed, I suggest you clean the surface with a scouring pad and then wipe it down with some PrepSol pre-paint cleaner.

Since I started this project we've found that the adhesive vinyl labels held up great color-wise, but are subject to scuffs and other mistakes that mess up the exposed graphic. My own original label still looked great after 6 months, but I was extremely careful with it. So I decided to switch to a heat-laminated label with clear plastic on both sides. I invested in a professional laminator to make these more durable.

I also now apply a come-clean peel off adhesive, but if the truck owner makes a mistake, he can always revert back to using regular automotive two-sided trim tape, and the thinner the better. This should be a lot more durable, and the glossy surface actually looks better.

I've been working in-between the raindrops to create some base designs to show the membership what I can do, and tell you what I can't do. These labels are printed in full process color which means I can include digital images in the design. The print quality is fairly good, not absolutely photographic... but quite good. The label finish is matte, and I cannot print metallics although I can make something that resembles a brushed metal... but its flat art.

I started this because I saw the two-piece replacement shroud labels on ebay and while they are nice, I wanted to do something a little different. I tried to be a little creative and think about what might appeal to a typical owner and how they might want to personalize the engine bay when you pop the hood. And we all know, whether it's at a show, at the track, or even a GTG... the hoods get popped and the first thing you see is a couple of wrinkly old battered shroud labels that do nothing for you or your truck. So here's a few ideas to get you thinking:

That's Rob's above from his now departed 9-second beauty... and of course he went all out with it.

I was thinking some guys would like Race Truck to scream at them when they opened the hood. This could be nice on any color truck, but maybe extra special on a white truck. The background could also be red, blue, black, or something else.

I call this one "Storm" and its pretty obvious why. Could be appealing to those guys in coastal states as well as other locations.

This one I'm calling "Tribal" and I tried to incorporate some tribal graphics in it without going too far. This particular one might look hot in a sonic blue truck, but I can adapt it to other color schemes as well.

For you hard-core types or someone with a sonic blue truck... this could be pretty nice on a black shroud.

In this red one, I incorporated the WMS logo to show that if you love your tuner, I can add the tuner's logo to your shroud. I'll only do this if the tuner gives you permission.

While I'm dealing with some limitations, this piece uses a sort of carbon-fiber background with centered logo and a airbrushed in shot of a truck.

The one above is a work in progress for Jeff (207). I'm not done yet... but I did want to show a shamu label. I'm also working on one for Darrell (DJCapri50), and one for Jody (383SVT) and his race truck.

The sample above is intended for tuners/vendors who would be interested in selling a tuner/vendor-specific label to their customers. If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll figure out pricing on a minimum quantity order that makes sense for both of us. But what nicer compliment to your business could you have than a shroud label with your name and contact information.

As far as individual label design goes... all you have to do is send me a PM to get things started. The price went up over the years because I switched from an unprotected label to a double-wall hot laminated piece. Plus they are printed off-site and my printing costs as well as shipping has gone up too.

If you have a carbon fiber shroud, you can still add one of these labels... you just need to take 5 minutes to center and align it with a couple of pieces of blue/green painter's tape. This is a kind of open group buy that I will keep available for all members of Lightning Rodder. I will add other design concepts and finished designs as they are completed. BTW, here's Rob's shroud label installed on his truck:

Here's a couple more:

Actually Loki got two, one with black lettering and one with charcoal brushed lettering. I still don't know which is on the truck!

Did that one for CapeLightning's sonic blue beauty.

Dave's label under the hood of slownlow... worked up a "carbon fiber" background for the LR logo and balanced it with the oblong piece on the other side.

Did the above one for Eddy, who is a friend of G'Z Rayo IIRC. Couple of labels out there in the Valley.

Did that one for Bob Daniels... lot of Florida guys liking these. This one is very detailed in person, integrated the "Custom Tuned by JDM Engineering"... JPGs are downsized, only for posting, original art is 300 dpi pdfs.

We had to simplify it because of printing issues, but it turned out pretty hot. And everyone... feel free to ask questions, I will try my best to answer them on the fly. But keep in mind these are CUSTOM, I'm not mass-producing anything, and its not something I can spit out in a day or two. Each label is a piece of art in itself. You tell me what you want, and I'll do my level best to give it to you. It can easily take two weeks from order to shipping the finished label, and we will have dialogue via email during that time.

Thanks for your patience and compliments on this project.

Mike
Leeproctor83 likes this.

Long-Time Lightning Owner Now Driving a Big Block '69 Camaro
Click Either of the Two Links Below For More Information On:

Last edited by OldTimer; 02-16-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 AM
.030, XR heads, [email protected]

what's average pricing on one of these??? ballpark pricing would be nice to know! Looks great

....might have to pick one up after I get done paying JLP for my mota!

Has the one of a kind hidden B00bie magnet installed!

[email protected] 19 PSI, .030 over Manley H-beams, Rods, Super Cobra Jet crank, XR heads, stage 3 cams, arp 2k headstuds/rod bolts...Built by Layne Automotive, Fulton IL.... Alive again 24 Sept 2016!
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Site Supporter

Awesome work! They look really nice

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Divergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by exracr View Post
what's average pricing on one of these??? ballpark pricing would be nice to know! Looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
As far as individual label design goes... all you have to do is send me a $40.00 "gift" via paypal and I will design your custom label. Gift Donations have to be made in advance, and can be either PayPal or US Postal Money Order.

I had to read it twice before i saw it.lol I was so sidetracked with the pictures.
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM
ROADHOUSE

Guys, these are super nice and VERY durable. Hold up well under the hood and clean up is easy.

Jeremy
ALL STOCK
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM

I had something similar to this under my hood a while back. Really sets things off and adds a nice touch that isn't gaudy

2001 Silver Ligtning #2566
2010 Jetstream blue Corvette ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's got it View Post
stick your wiener in the door, THEN slam it shut, bet you wont notice that light anymore
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Price is noted above $40/donation & shipped via USPS Priority Mail with tracking to all Lightning Rodder members, no paypal fees. Working on some new ideas too.

Mike

post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Had some time on my hands last week so I tried something new. Going to look into bulk purchase of frames maybe, and settle on black or chrome... and upper & lower or single wide lower strip with a thin upper. Pix is from phone, but label is carbon fiber background with white pinstripe and red lettering. I have chrome nut caps couldn't find them for the pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample-01.jpg (95.4 KB, 1064 views)

post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM
needs more cowbell!

These are great!

Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!

post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:02 AM

here is a pic of the one you did for me

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2264.jpg (244.1 KB, 1236 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2262.jpg (196.3 KB, 672 views)

Last edited by Bluelightning; 06-28-2012 at 08:10 PM.
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Absolutely love mine!!!
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just so you guys know I can do a two-piece, I figured I'd throw up a sampler.

In this particular case... I used a Harley theme, but it could obviously just as well been for a lightning. Carbon Fiber background with a little bit of Harley bling. I could also do this in a single width, and will add it down the road... working on other projects right now so its 5th or 6th on my list LOL.

Mike

post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Florida>Texas

those are real nice..gonna have to get one here real soon

2001-Silver
#5498/6381- 06/28/01

6lb, Mafia, JLT CAI, Accufab SBTB, ported C&L Plenum, ported Eaton, 255's, catless Magnaflow, Punisher Street VB, Zex Wet kit 100-125 shot, Xcal3
post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 PM
99 "L" 3669 of 4000

This^^^^^

Build# 3669 of 4000 Born on 08/17/1999

A screaming MP 18lbs On Stock Block

My Garage