Failed Smog visual inspection, need help! - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
GoD GiVeN

Failed Smog visual inspection, need help!

Hey guys, have had my Magnum Powers supercharger on my truck for many years and have never had an issue, but today, this station that has always done my smog, decided to raise the red flag and fail my truck because the blower says Mangum Powers. The owner was one of those know it alls, "it doesn't say Eaton!" Are you f'n kidding me...

Anyway, is there anybody in the SoCal area that has a Eaton sitting on the self that will let me borrow it for a week to get the visual to pass. I already talked to another shop and said they wouldn't have failed me, but since this station failed me, I have to go back to them to get the truck passed, BUT next time, i will go to the other shop I talked to... I am in need of someones help, so please help a bother out!!! Thanks guys

I COPIED AND PASTED WHAT I WROTE ON POST #29, READ BELOW FOR MY 2019 SMOG UPDATE

Bringing this back up to date,

So, since I failed visual two years ago, California was so generous to automatically flag the truck this year to see the referee! Never ever heard of this until now.

Either way, I took my truck down to San Diego this morning to get it looked over, and do I mean looked over! They go through this thing like if you were going to the doctor for a full check up!

Long story short, I failed, AGAIN!

This time they failed me for the SBTB and C&L plenum... WTF! The only good news, they didn't fail the magnum powers supercharger. I guess me grindin the emblem off the front and touching up the paint was enough to trick them on that part.

Soooo, now I am in need of a stock TB and Plenum, by any chance does someone have one laying around I can borrow, or even purchase for the cheap lol, I am so close to putting my poor truck back to stock and just go about my life, this California smog is just getting harder to get by with any type of mods that make these vehicles even more fun to drive.

Pretty soon, all V8s will be banned from the damn state...

Well guys, get at me if you have something that can help me out... Thanks!

-Adam

Last edited by adamruiz2001; 05-13-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:17 PM
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block

Can you just change the snout

U3.75 L6lb 3.4 Whipp WMS Monster intake Fade to Black intake Elbow jdm E fan Morso tran pan FTVB SCT Xcall 4 tuner oil separator sct 5000 maf sbvtb Fiberglass rear springs JDM drag springs panhard bar catless mid pipe ARH long tubes headers and 3 inch exhaust 58 long bars 2400 stall wms upper control arms carbon drive shaft Killer Chiller and WMS custom Tune
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
GoD GiVeN

Quote:
I don't think so, I have no idea

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
GoD GiVeN

Quote:
Just talked to Charles, it is not the same, I like you thinking though!

Come on guys, i know somebody has to be sitting on one Let a botha borrow it for a week to get this shit behind me
quewyn likes this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:59 PM

I just had my motorhome fail the CA smog at one shop and found another shop that would smog it for me, (smogged it as a car) but should of done it as a vehicle that is 14,000 lbs., but he wanted to charge double, so I went back to the original shop and they got it straighten out, just a thought...

I have the one off my 03..

2003 Ford Lightning with 2.3 Whipple
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
GoD GiVeN

Quote:
I have the one off my 03..
How close are you to Oceanside??? Anyway you would be willing to let me borrow it
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:06 PM

I'm in Escondido, let me locate it.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 PM
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block

I have one sitting in a box already but your on the wrong coast

U3.75 L6lb 3.4 Whipp WMS Monster intake Fade to Black intake Elbow jdm E fan Morso tran pan FTVB SCT Xcall 4 tuner oil separator sct 5000 maf sbvtb Fiberglass rear springs JDM drag springs panhard bar catless mid pipe ARH long tubes headers and 3 inch exhaust 58 long bars 2400 stall wms upper control arms carbon drive shaft Killer Chiller and WMS custom Tune
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
GoD GiVeN

Quote:
I have one sitting in a box already but your on the wrong coast
Thanks man, good looking out, I have this taken care of right now, RedLightning II is going to hook me up, he is going to let me borrow his to get through this damn visual inspection.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:09 AM

cali smog sucks

if I had one I would help,just got through smog myself,sometimes people ask me why I painted my polished accufab tb on my 03 termi new ford grey,i just laugh,most of the country doesn't understand what we go through to make a little extra power,gotta be tricky here to get by,find a good smog guy and stick with him so he wont fail you on stupid visual things like having a black throttle body on my 03 L,sucks every two years or have a cert in hand if you want to sell a vehicle,shout out to red lightning 2, I bought some stuff from him and he gave me the reference to get on this site,,good luck ,I feel for you ,hope it works out soon
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:33 AM
I paid my buck-o-five

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaybrk View Post
the mp snout is shorter than a heaton snout

‘03 Harley
‘02 Lightning (dohc twin turbo)
‘01 Lightning (promod project)
‘01 lifted Eaton swapped F150
‘00 Lightning (Wicked)
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Road Racing Extraordinaire

California has been really cracking down the last two years, it's only going to get worse honestly. I've been hearing these stupid issues all the time lately. MY truck passed emissions but they failed me on visual because of a SBTB
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Even Then I Was Old Skool!

Garage
Somebody help Adam out... he's one of the good guys! Seriously, that is some BS. You'd think if it made more "smog" they could fail you, but can't you tell the guy that you had to replace the blower and couldn't find a new Eaton? Its a direct replacement and fits the Lightning intake and everything else without any modification.

Mike

Long-Time Lightning Owner Now Driving a Big Block '69 Camaro
Click Either of the Two Links Below For More Information On:
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:40 PM

Adam, it was great meeting this morning, you should be good to go, a little work, but it will be smogged soon.

2003 Ford Lightning with 2.3 Whipple
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quewyn View Post
California has been really cracking down the last two years, it's only going to get worse honestly. I've been hearing these stupid issues all the time lately. MY truck passed emissions but they failed me on visual because of a SBTB
that's some BS. how did song person know its aftermarket? do you have CAI on at smog?
quewyn likes this.

2001 Silver Lightning-Ported blower, 6lb pulley, magnaflow mid pipe and catback. other lil goodies.