JLP connecting rod notches direction..... - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com  

Go Back   Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com > The Creations... > Gen 2 Lightnings

Official Supporting Vendors

Advertisements

Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Jrock909

Jrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond repute
Default JLP connecting rod notches direction.....

Guys when I pulled my JLP rods and pistons outta of my old block, for the life of me I can't remember which way I need to assemble the rods and caps again, each rod and cap are numbered, but as far as which way the rod and cap bearing notches go, how are they suppose to go together, notches lined up on all sides or notches on each side....?
'03 Sonic Blue - Built 5.4 with Manley -11 Slugs, Forged Eagle Rods, Comp Cams XE262AH and ARP hardware, '13 TVS 2.3, '07 GT500 upper pulley, Stock Lightning Lower Pulley, LFP SBTB, AEM Cold Air Intake, Bassani SS Catback, 60lb Sieman Deka injectors, Walbro 255 Pumps, BA2400, Punisher Street Valve body, Trick Stage 2 Intercooler, LFP Dual Pass Heat Exchanger, DDM 6000K Headlights and Fogs, JDM Longbars, JLP 4' Shackles....
Jrock909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Bad as L
Supporting Member

Bad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond repute

A good way to tell is to look at the chamfer on the rod bearing bore....one side of the rod should have a large chamfer and the other side should be smaller....put the large chamfer facing the fillet radius of the crank journal.
Bad as L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Jrock909

Jrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond reputeJrock909 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay I'll check that out, now which way does the connecting need to face as a whole, the caps and rods are numbered, but as far as which way the rod goes?
'03 Sonic Blue - Built 5.4 with Manley -11 Slugs, Forged Eagle Rods, Comp Cams XE262AH and ARP hardware, '13 TVS 2.3, '07 GT500 upper pulley, Stock Lightning Lower Pulley, LFP SBTB, AEM Cold Air Intake, Bassani SS Catback, 60lb Sieman Deka injectors, Walbro 255 Pumps, BA2400, Punisher Street Valve body, Trick Stage 2 Intercooler, LFP Dual Pass Heat Exchanger, DDM 6000K Headlights and Fogs, JDM Longbars, JLP 4' Shackles....
Old 11-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
Jrock909

Okay I'll check that out, now which way does the connecting need to face as a whole, the caps and rods are numbered, but as far as which way the rod goes?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
Bad as L
Supporting Member

Bad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond reputeBad as L has a reputation beyond repute

Can you post a picture of a rod with cap off ?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Jrock909

Yah I'll get a picture tommorow, I'm just wondering if I should have the JLP symbol on the rod facing the front of the engine.....
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Jrock909

Here are a few pictures Bad, what direction do the caps need to go in...?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Jrock909

The first picture has the bearing tangs on the same side, and the numbers on the rod and cap matches up also, trying to show that in the third picture....
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
nitrous2fast

nitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond reputenitrous2fast has a reputation beyond repute

The first picture is right. They go on the same side.
-02 HD
-97 Trans Am WS6- Nitrous, long tubes, 3" Borla exhaust, 3.73 Motive gears, cust. tuned, Street Fire ignition
-07 R1-Lowered, exhaust
-97 Accord- happily my DD
nitrous2fast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Bad as L
Supporting Member

Yes the bearing tang slots go on the same side....next, don't pay attention to the name on the side of the rod, they could have been stensiled on any old way.

What is important is the chamfer on the edge of the bearing bore....the large chamfer goes towards the corner radius on the crankshaft bearing journal.....so with two rods on one journal....one rod will have the large chamfer facing forwar and the other rod will have the large chamfer facing towards the rear of the motor.

If the rods have the same size chamfer on both sides and IF you can not see or measure any offset in the rods then go ahead and put the bearing tangs facing towards the oil pan. But and this is a biggy....when you assemble the rods and pistons into the block....look up at the back side of the piston and make damn sure the rod is centered on the piston.

I wish my memory was more clear on this but it aint right now.

This is important to get this little detail right....some engines like small block chevys and Buick V6's and others have an offset built into the rod and if you get it wrong it may put the small end of the rod up against the pin boss in the piston and cause a bind in the assembly.

I am not real familiar with the Manley rods....I run Olivers and I am almost sure they are opposite your rods ( the bearing tangs I mean)
Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
Jrock909

Well Johhny Lightning himself said that I match the numbers up on the rods and caps, which mean the tangs themselves line up pretty much like first picture and he said that make sure the numbers themselves face the outside of the block.....
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Jrock909

Basically that's right, Johnny Lightning said that I install these rods with the stamped numbers facing the outside of the block.....

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-2-li...-together.html
Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
banks
Snail Powered

banks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond reputebanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock909 View Post
Well Johhny Lightning himself said that I match the numbers up on the rods and caps, which mean the tangs themselves line up pretty much like first picture and he said that make sure the numbers themselves face the outside of the block.....
my numbers where hammered in my rods and caps when i pulled my JLP shortblock apart. all numbers faced the oil pan like he described to you. so i put them back the exact same way.
banks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Jrock909

How much horsepower will JLP rods survive till, is it 600hp-8000RPMS...?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
Bad as L
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banks View Post
my numbers where hammered in my rods and caps when i pulled my JLP shortblock apart. all numbers faced the oil pan like he described to you. so i put them back the exact same way.
Just so you guys know.....you should never stamp a number in the side of a rod and cap.....just a light scribe mark or one of those acid etch pens or ink maybe....no hammering.

Advertisements