Minimum Tire Lug Thread Engagement - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com  

Go Back   Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com > The Creations... > Gen 2 Lightnings

Official Supporting Vendors

Advertisements

Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
jwlast

jwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Minimum Tire Lug Thread Engagement

After buying a set of new 16" 11" wide Bogart D-10 rear rim's and installing a 7/16th spacer due to tight tire clearence with the leaf springs, I noticed the lug's only go on a total of 6 turn's on the stock studs for a 2004 Lightning. They are open ended lug nutz that sit flush with the end of the stud when installed and torqued down (see pics). They torque up to spec, and seem very sturdy.

I heard the rule of thumb is that 2 threads should be showing thru the end of the lug nutz when properly torqued (using 100 ft lbs). I don't want to wreck myself , someone else, or the truck over something as basic as some lug's nut's that aren't engaging the thread's enough.

Seems like its on the minimum verge of being safe. Any thoughts?

Thanx

JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lugz1.JPG (124.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Lugz2.JPG (65.1 KB, 124 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
boostaholic01

boostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond reputeboostaholic01 has a reputation beyond repute

im pretty sure its either ihra or nhra rules or maybe both say that the stud has to come out so far past the lugs... i think its twice the with of the stud... that was the rule a long time ago. either way they dont work on your truck so just send me those useless wheels and il put them to use lol
boostaholic01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
louisianaSVT2001
Nothing burps better than bacon

louisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond reputelouisianaSVT2001 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always heard the 2 full threads out rule

http://youtu.be/7Ny-Rwzcesw
louisianaSVT2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Scuba-Matt
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!

Scuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond repute

From the NHRA rule book
The thread
engagement on all wheel studs to the lug nut, or lug bolt to wheel
hubs, must be equivalent to or greater than the diameter of the
stud. Length of the stud/bolt does not determine permissibility;
length of the engagement between the stud and lug determines
permissibility.

Last edited by Scuba-Matt; 07-08-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Scuba-Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
jwlast

jwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond reputejwlast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt View Post
From the NHRA rule book
The thread
permissibility.
WTF? In plain english........(BTW, thanks for the quote, just wish I was smart enuff to understand what it's trying to say) I finished in the bottom 15% of my high school class, but I did have good hand-eye coordination.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
exracr
JLP Stage 3 XR heads, MP@19psi

exracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt View Post
From the NHRA rule book
The thread
permissibility.

go look at ANY stock L rims with lugs.... and I bet the don't stick out that far!

soooo many rules in NHRA..
Old 07-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Soccman
Ford Certified Technician

Soccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond reputeSoccman has a reputation beyond repute

damn it man if you have to get longer studs... thats a job in itself. looks like your in the market for some slightly narrower tires
2000,#1623, Going Built, GT500 Crank, Manley platinum series coated pistons, Manley H-beam rods, Trickflow 195 heads, Bullet stage 3 cams,(ported, port matched, polished intake from plenum to heads), Race ported Eaton, 10lb lower pulley, SBTB, Walboro 255s, 60lb injectors, Cat-less Full OBX LT exhaust, Circle D 2500 stall, SCTX4, Eibach 2in drop, Bronco Beater(longbars, panhard, DS loop), 20in True Forged Sleeper wheels 20x9.5 and 20x11, Nt05 275/40r20 and NT05R 315/35r20 tires.
Soccman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
SHOKDU
Boost-A-Holic

SHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond reputeSHOKDU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlast View Post
WTF? In plain english........(BTW, thanks for the quote, just wish I was smart enuff to understand what it's trying to say) I finished in the bottom 15% of my high school class, but I did have good hand-eye coordination.
It means that you need approximately 1/2" of threads showing through the nut on the stud.
Owner: Mark H. #3496 of 4966
Built by ME. Tuned by DMP
21 psi, 18* timing, C-16, 651 HP / 737 TQ
sig by: s|ck
SHOKDU is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
exracr
JLP Stage 3 XR heads, MP@19psi

exracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond reputeexracr has a reputation beyond repute

on aircraft... military aircraft capable of going Mach 2.5 and 9+ G's... rule is ALL hardware must protrude 2 to 3 threads past surface!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
roach4047
Fat Bastad

roach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond reputeroach4047 has a reputation beyond repute

The tech guys at my local track simply stated that the lugs had to extend past the nuts. If you're running slicks you're also required to use open ended lug nuts such as the ones you have pictured as well vs a set of closed ended such as the oem nuts. Open ended nuts aren't a requirement if running DOT tires but then the tech might want to inspect all of your lug bolts in order to ensure they're of a proper length so why chance it.

Roach
roach4047 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
Dash808
Flyin HI

Dash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond reputeDash808 has a reputation beyond repute

Just cut the nut down.

jk jk!
Dash808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
SnipeJDM

SnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond reputeSnipeJDM has a reputation beyond repute

As long as all the threads in the nut are engaged, you are fine. Should be fine with NHRA too. If there is any doubt, take your spacers to a machine shop and have them mill them down 1/16"-1/8"

Old Setup - Eaton, 2lb lower, 2.93" upper, 12.93@105

New Setup - KB2.3, 4lb lower, 3.25" upper, 435/510 - 12.48@109
SnipeJDM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
bet on black
El duderino

bet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOKDU View Post
It means that you need approximately 1/2" of threads showing through the nut on the stud.
how i read that is that you need at least 14mm of threads engaging in the nut. if the stud is flush with the outside of the lug nut, and the lug nut is at least 14mm thick then you should be fine. you may have been saying the same thing, i couldn't really tell
'59 chevy apache 36
'00 Aprilia Mille RSV 1000 R
'05 harley sportster xl1200c
'01 f250 platinum edition - 7.3L diesel crew cab 4x4 - STOLEN & STRIPPED 10/2014
'77 kawi kz650 -bobber project
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
Scuba-Matt
Boost Freak!!!!!!!!

Scuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond reputeScuba-Matt has a reputation beyond repute

The rule means that if the stud is 1/2 thick that is how much must stick out past the lug nut. If the stud is 14mm thick (.55 inches), then 14mm 0r .55" must be visible past the nut.
Scuba-Matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
bet on black
El duderino

bet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond reputebet on black has a reputation beyond repute

engagement does not mean protrusion. i disagree with your interpretation, respectfully of course.
'59 chevy apache 36
'00 Aprilia Mille RSV 1000 R
'05 harley sportster xl1200c
'01 f250 platinum edition - 7.3L diesel crew cab 4x4 - STOLEN & STRIPPED 10/2014
'77 kawi kz650 -bobber project
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Advertisements