How to test Ford Coil on Plug Packs - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com  

Go Back   Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com > How To & Tech > Gen 2 & Harley "How-To's"

Official Supporting Vendors

Advertisements

Old 10-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Bgstew6
DONE

Bgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to test Ford Coil on Plug Packs

with an Ohm meter and the coil on plug pack out of the truck...

Check the Primary circuit by simply taking the pos test lead and attach/touch it to one connector terminal and at same time attach/touch the neg test lead to the other. Measure the ohms and ensure you are seeing at most 5.5k Ohms

Also check the secondary circuit of the Coil on plug pack by touching the pos lead to one of the primary pins and the neg lead to the spring in the boot of the pack. Measure the ohms and ensure that .5500 Ohms.

Primary 5.500 k-ohms
secondary .55 ohm

this will work is the CP is dead....not one that is intermittent or starts acting up after it gets heated up or failing under load. FOrd makes a nice diagnostic tool that can diagnose problems like this.
Attached Images
File Type: gif cop.gif (4.3 KB, 837 views)
2k2 Black Harley Davidson SCrew, #1088
What's that sound you say????...."Why that's 19lbs of Pure, Cogged, Kenne Bell 2.3 Screamin Hell! mixed with a little bit of my Stock Block crying like a Jilted Jezebel
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."
- Sun Tzu

How come these injuns ain't killin us???
Cause they can't see us, we're in the spirit world asshole!!!

My Gallery

Last edited by Bgstew6; 10-18-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Bgstew6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
costrsupt

costrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond repute

And what is said diagnostic tool?
2002 Harley Davidson 150: Punisher VB, 4X4 trans pan, K&N CAI, C&L Elbow, C&L Plenum, Polished Accufab SBTB, EGR delete,Oil separator, Lightning upper pulley,Ported Eaton, Ported Mid plate, Trick 2 gal I/C tank, LFP Tri-Y longtubes with full magnaflow exhaust and x pipe(Lightning exit). SCTX3, Dynojet WBC, duel 255's, 6lb lower, and BA2400 MAF. Tuned buy Amazon.
costrsupt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Bgstew6
DONE

Bgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond reputeBgstew6 has a reputation beyond repute

bout a 5k diagnostics tool (Ford IDS)
What's that sound you say????...."Why that's 19lbs of Pure, Cogged, Kenne Bell 2.3 Screamin Hell! mixed with a little bit of my Stock Block crying like a Jilted Jezebel
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."
- Sun Tzu

My Gallery
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
MPORTETR
Cogged Carolina Lightning Rodder

MPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond reputeMPORTETR has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write up! Thanks Stew!!!
[CENTER]BUILT by BOOSTED PERFORMANCE...TUNED by AMAZON TUNING SOLUTIONS[/CENTER]
[CENTER]syndicate, noun |'sindikit| a group of individuals, organizations or criminals combined to promote some common interest. [/CENTER]
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.lightningroddergallery.com/data/639/boobies.gif[/IMG]This post was sent via [COLOR=lime]Alienware or Android[/COLOR][IMG]http://www.lightningroddergallery.com/data/639/lo.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=lightninquick;1398184]a guy wants a Bult motor for free
two guys have their pants off
another couple guys want to smoke bud
the rest are drunk
one is drunk dreaming of bud with two guys with their paints off, one with a gun
sounds like just another day on lightningrodder[/QUOTE]
MPORTETR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
costrsupt

costrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond reputecostrsupt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgstew6 View Post
bout a 5k diagnostics tool (Ford IDS)

Lol so if I have an intermittant problem with one I cant find its cheaper to just buy a whole new set
2002 Harley Davidson 150: Punisher VB, 4X4 trans pan, K&N CAI, C&L Elbow, C&L Plenum, Polished Accufab SBTB, EGR delete,Oil separator, Lightning upper pulley,Ported Eaton, Ported Mid plate, Trick 2 gal I/C tank, LFP Tri-Y longtubes with full magnaflow exhaust and x pipe(Lightning exit). SCTX3, Dynojet WBC, duel 255's, 6lb lower, and BA2400 MAF. Tuned buy Amazon.
costrsupt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Bgstew6
DONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by costrsupt View Post
Lol so if I have an intermittant problem with one I cant find its cheaper to just buy a whole new set
or if you have a buddy at Ford he can hook it up and run and iNdividual cylinder performance test
- Sun Tzu

My Gallery
Old 01-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #7
Tigator

Tigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond reputeTigator has a reputation beyond repute

As someone once told me recentely here after trying to explaining something to them...
Now I'm really lost.
What happened to the day when 1 freakin coil fires All the freakin plugs? 8's and high 7's were attained like that.
Sorry, I am from the keep it simple stupid school.
Thanks Stew L veteren, one day I am going to need this info but for now I will stick with my stock cop's and cross my fingers and toes. Some stuff is over my head but it is a good read.
#2161 of 6381 Build Date: 3/23/01
OBX SS Headers mids, AeroChamber Mufflers
FTVB, 2in drop shackles, EGR delete, TR6's,
K&N CAI, C&L, 555R'S, Cervini hood and spoiler,
4# pulley, Aeroforce,
Moats.net F8 - 8 position chip,

Last edited by Tigator; 01-18-2011 at 04:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Tigator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
xonecrazyx

xonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond repute

each coil is fired just after injector fires . reason most people change all
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
xonecrazyx

xonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond reputexonecrazyx has a reputation beyond repute

because if one is failing why do 1 at time . unless new. just change all
Old 02-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
MattACK
Supporting Member

MattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond reputeMattACK has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience I had 2 COPs fail in my 2000 F150 at once. No reason to replace perfectly good COPs. That'll be like replacing all 4 tires if you get a flat.
10.8 @ 125mph

|'03 Redfire Cobra|
STOCK... for now.

View this section of the forum before using AMAZON TUNING SOLUTIONS ---> [VENDOR FEEDBACK FORUM]

MattACK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Advertisements