Lightning Rodder banner

Project Dirty Dog

99K views 813 replies 106 participants last post by  00SVT 
#1 ·
Well I'm not sure how many of you saw my thread in the Gen. 2 Section. So I will post it up here as well.

Well I came home to find my Garage Space Filled back up old School style. Yes it needs a lot of work. But with the Help from Charlie for the photoshop work, Eric,cody,sheridan,Ron for keeping the lid on it. There will be more pictures on wed. when I have a day off.

For those who know me, I couldn't drive something else. Work that needs done right away is replace the Window on the drivers side, fix the power window motor on the drivers door and replace the battery. The rear bumper is shot to shit so I will be rocking the tag in the rear window till I can get a roll pan in.

But a full list It will get is
All Rust cut out and replaced
New Paint
Rims have not been decided on yet.
Black Capret,Headliner and back wall.
Fully dynamate the cab.
Needs a new switch for the front and rear tank swap.
Need to get a new center Cap
Clean up all the broken glass they left.
Two rubber inserts for the center console.
One inner trim piece is broke
Lower valance is cracked on Pass. Side
Need new air vents as well.

That is just a short list of things that are going to get done. But it will eventually get tore down to the frame and get a full rebuild. But for now, just going to get some of the simple things fixed that are not that expensive.

Oh I guess you would like to see some Pictures.... As you can see in the last two Pictures that Charlie did for me. That is what the end result will be in a few years from now. Not the same rims, and also will be rocking a cowl hood as well. You all know how well I have treated my rides over the years. So you will just have to bare with me over the next few years as I start the Rebuild Progress. Also this is something my dad and I have wanted to do for a long time and now we have just what we wanted. A project Truck for us both to work on. In the shape it's in, we are able to put our personal taste on the whole deal.

Attachments

See less See more
#24 · (Edited)
Here is what I have in mind once it's all done.

Man those pic's have been photo shopped a few different times. They were done in about 4 different colors for a local guy who did a two tone.

Good luck with the build. I have gen 1 parts if you need something. Not sure what you will need but i may have it,

I have a slider I pulled from my race truck project if you interested.
Bobby

#6 ·
What did they do to that poor thing?!
I like your idea of the finished project though, especially the two tone scheme!:bigtu

The truck was a daily driver and parked outside even during the snowy winters we have here. By the looks of things, they just let it go and didn't care. I got a smoking deal on it so I'm not to worried.

Thats an awesome father son project!
Congrats
Thanks

Thanks for saving it.
No Problem

Man you have alot of work on your hands,but Im sure youll be happy at the end..

And welcome to the Gen1 Section! Update us on the progress!:bigtu
Oh there is going to be a ton of Pictures come wed.. I have the day off so, my dad and I are going to do a big clean up job on it as well as take the rusted rear bumper off. It's not able to be saved so it's just going to trash along with the rusted out and falling apart tow hitch. The rest of the under side looks fine no big rust problems that we have seen on the frame other than surface rust.

#7 ·
thanks for saving another gen 1. i like the two tone idea, but not the rims, IMO keep the stockers and polish or chrome them.

#9 ·
Where did you pick that truck up at. Looks Like a truck that belonged to a friend of mine in MO. he sold it about a year or two ago.

#14 ·
More Progress Today

Got a lot of clean up work done today. I also did a full wipe down of all the dirt/dust on the dash,door panel's and the rest of the interior trim. We took the carpet out and got all the broken glass out. But then I found a few more piece's. I will get that when I replace the carpet. We then took some carpet cleaner and a scrub brush to it to get the stink and loose dirt crap out of the carpet. The inside is now clean and livable now. The black pan that holds the seats in place was covered in grime so I got that cleaned up before it went back in. We then took off the rusted out rear tube bumper. When we went to take the Uhall tow hitch assemble off, the bolts are to far rusted on and we can't get them out:smt021. But I work a short shift at work on Saturday,so once I get off, I'm heading out to a buddies house and we are going to take the Cutting torch to it. The day of work would not be complete without finding some more stuff needing fixed. I need to replace the straps on the front tank since there is a small leak around the straps and the oil was changed over a year ago, but the miles on the oil is not that old. Then off to the Car Wash with a bottle of simple green and some coins to clean the engine bay out. There is a lot of dirt and some grime in there and it is not even close to my standards. But Next on the list is getting the drivers side door window fixed and replace the rear window that is broke out. I checked out on the prices and I am going to go with a solid rear window as they are not that expensive through LMC. So This weekend there will be some more pictures of more cleaning work on the engine bay and some of the truly rusted out tow assembly.

Attachments

#17 ·
If I was closer and had the extra cash laying around I would take it. The shipping would kill me as well. I need to get the other things fixed before I get another tube bumper. But thanks for the offer.

#19 ·
:rolleyes: drool to the above...

It's getting better! :bigtu

+1 on the rollpan idea

[smilie=po

#21 · (Edited)
Small update, It is now tagged and insured so now to start hitting the streets :woohoo.

Hey Michael, I plan to put that same roll pan on that John has. It does have a nice smooth clean look to the rear end.

#23 ·
Well I found out more good News about the Project today. It was the first day I drove it any were. The drivers side door lock doesn't lock. So looks like we have a full list of stuff to get done this weekend. First on the list of importance is change the oil that has been in the truck since last year and 5k miles over the 3k mile mark. The truck also has a leak in the rear main seal, but I believe that is normal at the 149k mile mark and the condition of the rest of the truck, this does not surprise me.

So the list for the weekend
Change Oil
Drop front Fuel tank
Fix door lock and window motor in Drivers side door.
Simple Green and water the hell out of the Engine Bay.
Cut Rusted out Uhall to hitch off.
Finish putting some more Nu Finish on the rest of the Cab.
Cut or remove a damn bracket under the pass. side door that is not even being used.

#30 ·
I like that paint job Bobby. I wonder how black and silver would look?????????
This is as close as I have on that..

Attachments

#27 ·
Little Update

Well I got the Engine bay Cleaned out Sunday evening and got the drivers side window fixed today. What a pain in the ass it was to fix the window motor, but not it goes up and down on it's own. We also found that they did a half ass job on the speaker install. But we fixed that and now it's all good. They did put in some Alpine Type R speakers so they do sound good. Up next is to fix the electric part of the window so that on the pass. side it can control the window and fix the electric locks on the doors. Hopefully we can get that done on my next day off on Thursday. Only thing major after this round of stuff is start pricing out a new rear window before the winter months get here and a new/used tire for the front pass. side stock wheel instead of rolling on a 15 spare. Battery is also getting done, but that is probably going to happen this weekend. We need to clean the battery tray and get some new paint on it being its rusted up also.

#29 ·
I need to know what parts I exactly need to fix my electric doors before I start buying parts. But one of the major things I want, but don't want to pay full price for is a new battery tray, mine is rusted over a little or maybe all the way. We are not sure and will find out when we replace the battery this week. My main concern is to have the Truck safe for the winter months we will be getting in a few months from now. Window,battery, and locking doors also. I know I can get a used tire to get me by just a few miles up the road. May have a connection on a window here, waiting to hear on that.

#34 ·
Thanks for the good deal on the parts, I will get the money sent to you via paypal asap.

I did a little cleaning on the truck last Sunday on the Engine Bay finally and damn it looks better. There is still a little dust here and there. But we got a good amount of it gone with some simple green and the pressure washer.

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
Well I got some more work done just a few mins. ago. I got the chrome runner bars on the bed taken off as well as the four tie down chrome deals off also.

About the console, how much do you want for it? How does the handle look? Mine is faded out and doesn't set flush with the lid very well.

Attachments

#38 ·
Well today we had another adventure with the truck. I left work to go home on my lunch break and it was raining today all day. Well my wipers didn't come on so I figured just a fuse or relay gone bad. Nope, they it was good. 45 mins. later we finally got the wiper motor out and it was toast. So no telling how long it has not worked. But I got a new one at work and got it all back in. Well my dad was the one who hooked up the wiper arms to the motor and he put them on backwards we find out after we had all back together. So it only took us about 20 mins. to make that change since we didn't have to take everything else off for that swap. We are going to inspect the brakes on Sunday to see what they look like. We just keep finding more and more safety issues that needs addressed before any major work can take place.

#39 ·
One thing at a time my Brother, got to get back to the basic's. Who remembers when you looked for used car with R+H in the ad (Radio + Heat)
[smilie=om

Take care of the important stuff and then you can take baby steps on the body and interior. Hey lets face it somehow I think WE ALL KNOW we're gonna look back at these pic's and say HOLY **** Tysons G1 once looked like that :p

#41 ·
Great project! I am thinking seriously about that silver with black after seeing it!! Dang that looks good. I'm getting my truck painted in a few months so that really makes my decision to keep the truck the original black kinda difficult.

Jamie R.
'93 Vortech'ed Lightning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.