AppRadio 3 - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com  

Go Back   Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com > How To & Tech > Car Audio & Security

Official Supporting Vendors

Advertisements

Old 10-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

OldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond repute
Default AppRadio 3

Yesterday at Stan's Mod Party the install of my AppRadio 3 (AR3) began. Have to thank Stan's son John for undertaking the lead on the install, and gerry for pitching in. Unfortunately, we ran into some glitches and while the radio is physically now in the dash and powers up... its not 100% functional just yet.

I'm pretty much an Apple guy, have a big iMac workstation, a macbook pro, my wife and I both have iPhone 4 phones, and she also has a iPad3. So when I got wind of the AppRadio concept it looked interesting, and when they came out with the AP3, I was about 99% pre-sold.

So, the unit itself is an extremely clean design and I think it really looks great in the truck. Not much glitter, the only metal showing is a thin button bar at the bottom of the screen/chassis.

Right now, all I have working is the radio section, and that works pretty good. When the radio powers on, they have a dumb boot screen that cautions you against prolonged viewing the screen while driving, and you tap OK on the screen and you have a 2-page sliding icon menu at the bottom of the screen.

You can pick from a couple of different background screens, and if you are streaming music via bluetooth from your iPhone, I think you may get artist/album info as well as album art... but I'm not 100% sure until I get the install finished and figure out why I'm not getting a 100% handshake right now.

As anyone who has done a double din install knows, you need to cut out a lot of material to make these radios fit. At the last minute John was trying to seat the radio and reinstall the bezel and we realized there's a section of the OEM radio frame (plastic) that angles down at 45 degrees which needs to be cut out before the radio will slide back 100%. John and Gerry had only cut the front part of the bezel to allow the radio to slide in maybe 50% and were trying to get it to talk to the iPhone. Gerry had already left when we discovered this so I manned the vacuum and John used the dremel tool to cut out the plastic. Theres also a small metal component held in by two bolts on the back wall of the dash... that was removed too.

So right now, the radio works, the microphone never got installed so I have to pull out the bezel and radio and then plug in the mic and mount it. Also have to install a video cable for the backup camera. The radio and my iPhone4 paired up and I was able to stream my Bruce Springsteen just fine in a quick test. I have downloaded the Pioneer AppRadio App, along with the CarMediaPlayer App, WAZE, and the MotionX GPS App. The Pioneer AppRadio App gives you a complete listing of what AppRadio Apps are approved/tested and there's probably a dozen or so.

My problem at this point is that the AppRadio and 30-pin cord connect to and charge my iPhone, but thats where it stops. The radio is not "seeing" the iPhone's Apps so I have to figure out why that is. Tomorrow I'll give Pioneer Tech Support a call and see if they can walk me through some troubleshooting. Worst case I'll bring it to a local Car Audio Shop and pay them to get it right.

I'm optimistic, and I think it'll be a great addition, having Nav, Phone, Radio, and even a Web Browser on the touch screen. I'll update this thread as I make progress.

Click Either of the Two Links Below For More Information On:
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
SonicB03
JTBtheSISSY thinks his cobras fast.

SonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond repute

mike im sure we can finish it up. like i said i bet its just a software update.

677/697 17#s

Failure only happens when you quit, and in this line of work failure is not an option.
SonicB03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

OldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond reputeOldTimer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicB03 View Post
mike im sure we can finish it up. like i said i bet its just a software update.
Hey Gerry...

Thanks again for showing me the ropes on the AN stuff and helping John with the radio. When I get the fittings I'll borrow your AN wrenches LOL. I think I can do it.

AppRadio 3: There's no newer firmware on Pioneer's site, been searching all day. Also posted in a couple of AppRadio Friendly forums. So far one moderator thinks we should have not used the old pigtail but he can't be sure unless he saw them in front of him.

I have tried to do a hard reset but when I get to the last popup asking me if I want to reset to factory defaults, the reset proceed button is grayed out, all I can do is cancel out.

Radio works fine, figured out how to set the clock and date, I think BT is working but can't say 100% until I install mike. BTW did your iPhone/radio come with a M to F USB cord? Stan said he found one laying around along with some small plastic parts that look something like a thru-bulkhead clamp to mount a USB Female port in the glove box?

I don't know that its the wires... I think its a procedural thing where you have to reset everything and then do a slow step-by-step install.

Mike

Old 10-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Cogswell Cogs

207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute207 has a reputation beyond repute

My Windows 7 phone found that unit right away so.... if you're going to toss it out.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
SonicB03
JTBtheSISSY thinks his cobras fast.

SonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond reputeSonicB03 has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm i wonder if its the micro bypass is causing an issue. but im not 100% how that works. id just call pioneer and have them walk you through it.

677/697 17#s

Failure only happens when you quit, and in this line of work failure is not an option.
SonicB03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 View Post
My Windows 7 phone found that unit right away so.... if you're going to toss it out.
LOL... so did my iPhone when I turned on the Bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicB03 View Post
hmmmm i wonder if its the micro bypass is causing an issue. but im not 100% how that works. id just call pioneer and have them walk you through it.
Nobody in the forums has mentioned micro bypasses messing anything up. Step 1 call Pioneer, Step 2 go to Long Radio and pay them to make it work.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
merlin
Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!

merlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Subscribed

L&S oil separator, 6lb lower, NGKTR6, Diablo, JLAudio, a long mod list & OCDetailed
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
LordNmaster

LordNmaster is on a distinguished road

There's an app for that

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LordNmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

Gerry...

Just found out that Pioneer has discontinued support for IOS 7 and the original AppRadio. So no firmware upgrades... what you have working right now on your iPhone is it. Chatting with Amazon right now about iPhone cable. They are sending me a mailer to send it back if its no good. Pioneer is at lunch. If Pioneer can't help resolve it, then I have to go to Long Radio for a removal and re-install, because it might be the wiring of the pigtail.

Mike

Old 10-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

OK... here's a good news update; I finally got it working. The guy at MicroBypass walked me through it, sent me a image of a page 48 in the manual (?) that explains it. My manual only goes up to page 21 so go figure. I'm guessing that Pioneer is streamlining the manual and I hadn't seen this sequence.

Turns out Pioneer builds and ships ALL these units to be expecting an Apple iPhone5/5s. So you have to jump through a few hoops to get to a menu option "other" and not iPhone (go figure) and exit that page while "other" is showing as the selection.

So now the bad news (?) is that I have to learn how to use the GPS function and learn some of the tricky features of the various compatible Apps and the Hardware. Stay tuned for more information and pictures.

Tomorrow I'll pull out the unit and wire up the microphone and camera.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

I pulled the radio back out to vacuum out the dash LOL, and also to add the microphone for the phone, plus add a video cable for the backup camera. Got the phone working fine, next will be fooling with the camera. For kicks and giggles, I thought I'd mount a 2nd camera under the hood and have some kind of video switch with a remote toggle under the dash so i could switch between backup mode and watching the engine LOL.

Don't be frightened by this picture LOL. It all does fit back in there.

See? Depending on my source, some of my iTunes music displays the album art in the display. I have to figure out how to force album art even if I didn't buy the music from iTunes (like my daughter has the CD).

Buttoned back up.

The AppRadio uses the Smart Phone as part of its "brain" so there is a cable that runs to your iPhone or Android. This means that for something like GPS, you use your iPhone to select MotionX GPS and then input your route or destination, and then the map and the turns and voice instruction is on the AppRadio screen. For radio or hands-free phone you ignore the iPhone and just use the AppRadio. You use the screen of the AppRadio to to select iTunes artists, albums, or playlists and whether you want shuffle or not.

I'm working on a custom background screen to see if I can integrate it. I'll post a picture as soon as I get it working. Nightime lightning scene, integrate the SVT Lightning logo and maybe "Supercharged" in script.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

Once I figure out how to sync this image, it will be the new background image on my radio.

I created it with an overlay of the AppRadio 3 screen with icons and clock & date settings. All that will be superimposed over the above image.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #13
Aresixxer

Aresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond reputeAresixxer has a reputation beyond repute

I have a double din pioneer I'm looking to replace with the app radio 3 like you have there... How do you like it so far?

Looking to use it with my iPhone 5
Aresixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #14
merlin
Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!

merlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond reputemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, now that you've had it a bit what are pro's and con's?
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
OldTimer
My Vehicles; Fast & Loud

The truck's been in storage since Thanksgiving so I haven't really had any long-distance drive time with the new radio. Hoping we get a weather break so I can get down to Uncle Frankie's Garage Party in 2+ weeks.

Pro's are it looks great and price is right LOL... and it seems to fit the bill feature wise. Con's are that you still have to connect your iPhone to get all the features working from what I can tell. Once I get some drive time I will post a more detailed review/opinion.

Mike

Advertisements