Lightning Rodder banner

Lets wake up this section!!!!! Who is doing there own tuning?

10K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  tonysailor 
#1 ·
So this area of the site has been dead for years!!!!! How many of you guys are doing your own tuning? What are you using? How are you data logging?

Lets get this section going again.....many of use are starting to self tune. Im interested in starting my own tuning and need some general info...where do I start?

#4 ·
I do my own tuning [smilie=3g. Don't know if I count though seeing as I tune dinosaur status OBD1 speed density in my gen1.

#7 ·
Ive contemplated trying out pro racer and doing my own tuning. I bought a few books and read most of them over a year ago. Also bought the sct pro racer handbook and dvd. Just havnt had enough confidence in myself yet to bite the bullet and order pro racer. Mine truck is back to basic bolt ons and shouldnt be that bad to learn on I hope

#25 ·
Nothing new here except I feel like a complete pansy...

I came across a couple Ford Ranger and Explorer forums and I swear nearly everyone of them guys did there on tuning. They were using Pro Racer and AEM. From what I read, many prefer the AEM tuning setup over SCTs but it was mixed opinions on both. All in all, I felt like a complete JA because Ranger and Explorer owners do their own tuning... and their tuning tech threads were blowing my mind....:smt101

Getting out smarted by freaking Rangers and Explorers owners :smt013

#26 ·
The problem for our platform is twofold, as I see it. Since they were high dollar vehicles when sold new, most were quite affluent and willing to pay a big name to perform tuning duties. The vendors also let on that tuning was a big secret. Rocket science, or something.

Other platforms have always had a lot of self tuning going on. I am quite sure most on our boards can do a good job with a bit of effort.

Jim

#29 ·
So ive been reading the Sniper (Delta Forces) forum and its looks pretty interesting. Im assuming that i wouldnt need the SCT excal2 anymore, but i wanna "remove" the current tunes that are on it. I want to use them as my base tunes to work off of.

Anybody have any experience with Sniper and reusing existing tunes from other devies?

#36 ·
I do my my own tuning via the prp. Its the exact same software any sct dyno shop usesexcept its only good for one vin number.It is not easy at all. You must want to learn. The books all help but but some are overwelming until you play with the software a bit.You wont learn it in an afternoon.I have easily invested a hundred hours so far and there is still alot to learn.I paid 700 bucks for some dyno time and a one day class.This stuff is awesome but it can be extremely frustrating.The software is so old you also have to use windows millenium or xp so you cant buy a new laptop to use with windows 7 or something.The datalogging is sweet as well but you need your own way to datalog afr.My suggestion is to buy it from someone local who will answer their phone when you have ques and decent enough to sit down with you for a while and do some explaining.I would compare it to learnig trigonometry,very rewarding once mastered but overwelming in the beginning.To anyone interested I say go for it!

#41 ·
I couldnt get it to run on my laptop with windows 7.Spent a bunch of time on the phone with sct and they claimed I needed the old software. I put it on an old laptop with xp and its been fine ever since.They werent very helpful anyway maybe they just wanted to get me off the phone.Im glad to know that it worked for you though,good to know.:bigtu

#39 ·
I have a canned tune in my L (Predator) and am looking for a custom tune written for a DiabloSport Predator (somebody must have written one) for a truck with the following mods:

2002 L; 4 lb pulley; JLP intake; magnaflow exhaust; valve body.

Thanks,

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.