Lightning Rodder banner

03 lightning supercharger pulley

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  OldTimer 
#1 ·
Fellas, I just bought a 2003 Lightning.. Around the pulley and belt there is a rust looking dust .. is that from the belt slipping on the supercharger ? Should i replace the pulley with a better non slip one ? and a new belt to be safe ?

#2 ·
belt slip will usually leave black soot but I suppose it could turn different colors. do you have the stock pulleys or are you running aftermarket pulley(s) If your running aftermarket I would get an idler setup just for piece of mind. You wanna make sure you get every lb of boost that your paying for

#4 ·
The dust is probably just that, dust. Belt dust is a dark grayish black. As far as I have heard, there is not a magic pulley that is more non-slip than any others. The best way to reduce slip is to add an auxilary idler setup that will increase belt wrap around the upper pulley.
What pulleys are currently on the truck (upper size and lower size)?

#6 ·
The dust is probably just that, dust. Belt dust is a dark grayish black. As far as I have heard, there is not a magic pulley that is more non-slip than any others. The best way to reduce slip is to add an auxilary idler setup that will increase belt wrap around the upper pulley.
What pulleys are currently on the truck (upper size and lower size)?
I'm content with the riechard pulley for my procharged truck

#7 ·
Im thinking maybe he is just seeing some muddy/dirty water kicked up from driving in rain and shit but we wont know till some pics are posted (hint hint)

#9 ·
riechard makes 'em for the eatons, but personally yeah I'll go cog if I have any belt slip with the eaton

the "stock" ATI belt drive for the 2 valve F-150's makes me cringe just thinking about how pathetic it really is

#10 · (Edited)
I remember looking at a '99 before I bought my '01 L and noticed the top pulley was rusty. I think I kept some picts of it. Let me see. Could this be what he sees? Note: this '99 Sold in Clinton and went to Gretna.

Attachments

#11 ·
thats not a stock pulley, and it must be steel, i believe the stocker is aluminum

#12 ·
could be wrongm thoguh

#14 ·
Stocker is steel, but that's not a stocker... it doesn't have those holes. Its aftermarket with a bad paint job prep. I have the 2.76" Billetflow on my Eaton for 2 years now and while it was goo by itself... it seemed to be even better when I added the Metco Idler with 100mm idler pulleys. No slip now.

But was the OP talking about upper or lower? Lower pulley is also steel... I just checked my parts box with a magnet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.