Tell me if I'm wrong...LONG POST [Archive] - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

: Tell me if I'm wrong...LONG POST

flat--line
01-28-2009, 10:48 PM
For those of you that don't know, here's a link telling what happened:

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12607

Needless to say, the wife was absolutely furious with the bill and I am as well. I called these dudes on Saturday night. They told me over the phone that it was $200 to pump out 1000 gallons. I have 1000 gallons. Cool, I can swing that. I set it up for them to come the next morning.

Once they arrive (2 kids), they tell me I CANT be pumped out with out buying their "oxidizer plus" system. I don't know shit about this stuff so I figure, you're the pro, whatever you say. Next thing I know, they can't pump the shit out because it is so hard and they have to break it up with a gas powered auger tool. Whatever bro, just get it done is what I'm thinking.

So, here we are, all said and done and I get presented the bill for $2700!!! Remember that $200 pump out charge they told me over the phone! We pay the bill and cut our losses.

Next morning my wife decides to talk to some other septic companies. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE she talked to said the "oxidizer plus" is a BS scam. We didn't need it, total waste of money. Also, everyone else will break the shit up for FREE! (I was charged $200 for them to use their magic auger tool for 10 minutes). Oh yea, forgot to mention I was charged $250 for the three pieces of pipe he layed in the ground for the plumber to fix the next day (we had a plumber come the day after to fix the broken pipe in the wall). Now mind you, I told them NOT to worry about the pipe because I knew the plumber was coming and they only charge a flat $55.

Wife calls them up first thing Monday morning to complain. The guy in the office tells her the workers should have charged us $1600 for the oxidizer instead of $2000. And he says he will give us the $250 back for the pipes I told them not to do. Oh yea, forgot to mention that they had to cut my fence to get the track hoe into the back yard (which they never even used!). Then they leave without putting it back. So the guy says he will send some men out to repair the fence as well.

But neither I nor my wife are happy. I feel like I was taken complete advantage of. I know nothing about septic systems. I am sitting there on a Sunday with no use of sinks, toilets, etc.. and I have some "professionals" telling me I HAVE to do this.

So we are thinking of charging the entire amount back minus the amount they originally told me over the phone. Even with his refund, we have paid over $2000 to have a 1000 gallon septic tank pumped. Something that would have cost us anywhere between $190-$400 with 6 local companies.

Are we in the wrong? Your thoughts.

Sorry for the long post.

chance04
01-28-2009, 11:13 PM
WOW I would be FAWKIN PISSED!! Threaten Better business or something, thats just dirty!!

chance04
01-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Was it a chain or a local company?

00SVT
01-28-2009, 11:18 PM
If I was you, I would be just as pissed off.

Zeus_SVT
01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
If you paid with credit card I would reverse it before I even called them. :smt013 That's just me though, and don't know you person to person Josh, so use your best judgement bro.

These guys definitely scammed you. This bothered me enough to call my mom right now to find out how much it costs to get theirs pumped when they have to get it done. She pulled her receipt book out where she keeps track of all her mortgages and such. She said 19 months ago they paid $340 dollars. She said she can't remember a time when it has ever cost more than that over the years, dating back to when I was a kid and a few houses ago. I would definitely be pissed though. She said she has never been hassled about any oxidizer system in order to get it pumped so she is not sure about that.

Me though, I live in the city, so I haven't a clue about how all that works. I hope everything works out though. That is super shitty. Keep us posted.

crewsy
01-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Josh, I would be raising a bigger stink than was coming from the septic tank...Personally, I would be calling the BBB and anyone else that would listen to me...I'm afraid that you might have to get a lawyer and threaten these guys and make sure they pay your legal fees if you win the case...I can't stand shady business people like that when they are taking advantage of people that are in a bind...Hope this works out for you...Crewsy

typhoon43
01-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Better Business Bureau. CALL THEM.

boosted635
01-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Better Business Bureau. CALL THEM.

+1
And to think I was gripping b/c I had to spend $350 for an emergency pump out last Sunday.

p.s. ( I'm not cheap... just pissed b/c that came from my fund for my new DMR Oil Sep and some other little goodies :()

BLKSVT
01-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Dude, when I saw the other post where you said it cost that much I was thinking then you got ripped, but didn't want to come across as an asshat on the forum....remember back in my post I told you about the product we sell, I would try it the cost is about $275 for 5 gallons and you use only ounces per month.

I would definitely call the BBB, and tell the guy your going to the news stations too. My son did that with his L he was gonna trade, and the shop guys stole his chip out of it...he called the BBB and the news. He had a check 3 days later for new chip and tune. Good luck and let me know.

dogmob34
01-29-2009, 04:10 AM
Sorry to hear you got scamed that sucks. Even if you called around they said 200 originally then at the end come up with all this bs charges how were you to know? I would try all legal processes to get your money back first then if thats not successful I would beat the fu*king shit out of those bastards. Im talking breaking knees hey mf'er bite the curb and then bam kick to back of the head ass whooping. Well hopefully the legal route works, good luck with that.

BLKSVT
01-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Sorry to hear you got scamed that sucks. Even if you called around they said 200 originally then at the end come up with all this bs charges how were you to know? I would try all legal processes to get your money back first then if thats not successful I would beat the fu*king shit out of those bastards. Im talking breaking knees hey mf'er bite the curb and then bam kick to back of the head ass whooping. Well hopefully the legal route works, good luck with that.

[smilie=om[smilie=om[smilie=om[smilie=om[smilie=om[smilie=om Amen brother!

cacric
01-29-2009, 07:26 AM
It's never cost me more than $350-375.

When you were talkin about them using an auger......I don't know, they always use a hose and stick to break up the shat, even in the worst of times.

Get some money back bro or at least make it know that they are scamers.

flat--line
01-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Wife already wrote to the BBB. They said they would NOT process her complaint because all she was complaining about is the price and we should've shopped around before contracting a company. They already have an "F" rating with the BBB, so apparently they don't care what they say.

Here are some links to the complaints my wife typed up on various websites and their responses.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/416/RipOff0416841.htm

http://www.kudzu.com/merchant/reviews/1352849.html

http://national.citysearch.com/review/40942795

I think she just copy and pasted the same complaint on every website she could find. Of course they have a bullshit response to all of them. "I said to not fix the fence" Come the **** on!@! Who would say that??? I enjoy having a 8 ft hole in my fence so my dogs can escape. F'in retards.

MM Shaggy
01-29-2009, 07:59 AM
That sucks.

I guess that leaves two options:

Take your loses, and chalk it up as a learning experience.(Which I think you just helped all of us out as well.)

or

Get a Lawyer.

crewsy
01-29-2009, 08:11 AM
It makes you wonder if some of the responses were sent in by the company itself Josh...It doesn't make sense that they get raves from some people and others feel the same way you do about them...Call them back and see how long it takes to dissolve a human body with their "oxidizer plus" system.

Jeff@RT
01-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Let them know your going to call the better buisness bureau or the local news station to warn everyone else about them.

flat--line
01-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Was it a chain or a local company?

Here is their website:

http://rooterplus.com/

Notice how they don't list any prices!?!

chance04
01-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Here is their website:

http://rooterplus.com/

Notice how they don't list any prices!?!

or advertise anything about an oxdizer plus system
:smt013:smt021

flat--line
01-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Here is all I can find about the stuff.

http://rooterplus.com/Oxidizer.html

Dbl G
01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Call channel 5 Josh and your lawyer.

QueenBee
01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd dispute it with the CC/Bank like NOW, they will immedetly freeze that charge and investigate it. I used to work for a Fraud Dpeartment of Visa and we proccessed that stuff so fast the merchant didn't even have a chance to "collect" once its in a Dispute.

I'd be calling the news & paper companies, Denver has a person called "The Troubleshooter" who will investigate the fraud/shady service people and exploit them for the whole city to see- because you don't want anyone else to have to deal with that.

flat--line
01-29-2009, 10:23 AM
UPDATE:

The paperwork has been filed with VISA for the dispute. The lady on the phone told my wife "We will see if we can help you."

I have sent the story to the local Fox 5 "I-Team" news via email. I will wait and see if they respond.

QueenBee
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear you're taking the right steps to correct the BS!

Zeus_SVT
01-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Good to see you are getting it going, and that it was on a credit card. That is the first thing that I would have done as well, as stated last night. Their website just screams scam, without even estimates or pricing for any product on there. WTF???

I would light a fire under their ass with all the news channel publicity that you can bro. This usually makes the scammers fold and tuck their tail and hide. You might be helping out some others too if they put it on TV that have been scammed as well and may not have even known it all along.

Good luck man, keep us posted.

nail bender
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
did they at least supply the ky jelly? sounds like they gave you a sandy weiner on this job.

AllCarFan
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
I would be pissed also. However, they said you needed something, you said "ok, do it." Did they not disclose a price at all? If they didnt, shame on you for not asking. If they did and you said "ok," - well, you consented to their work.

You will, more than likely, have to chalk this up to a lesson learned. I dont see how this could be fought in court. You gave them permission to do the work. "Other" plumbing companies could say it was all BS, but they did not know the nature of the problem...and now its fixed, so there is no evidence.

I know thats not what you want to hear. HOWEVER, having your fenced fixed I could see them paying for...maybe. Reimbursing you for the overcharge ($1600 vs $2000) is nice of them...but I would get it in writing.

flat--line
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I would be pissed also. However, they said you needed something, you said "ok, do it." Did they not disclose a price at all? If they didnt, shame on you for not asking. If they did and you said "ok," - well, you consented to their work.

You will, more than likely, have to chalk this up to a lesson learned. I dont see how this could be fought in court. You gave them permission to do the work. "Other" plumbing companies could say it was all BS, but they did not know the nature of the problem...and now its fixed, so there is no evidence.

I know thats not what you want to hear. HOWEVER, having your fenced fixed I could see them paying for...maybe. Reimbursing you for the overcharge ($1600 vs $2000) is nice of them...but I would get it in writing.

I understand what you're saying. I have thought that myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't want something for nothing. If I thought that I got $2700 worth of product and service, I wouldn't be so upset, even if I got tricked into getting it.

I truly feel as if I have been scammed or ripped off. Now I know I am ultimately responsible for my signature on a receipt, but I don't wanna just lay over and die for that reason.

Here's where I am coming from: I am the dumb consumer who is in a crisis situation. These ****ers know that. Once they arrive and tell me they have to do this and do that in order to get me running again, what choice do I have? They exploit this fact. Who shops around when you're in the eleventh hour? Who say's " no, just stop where you're at, and I'll find someone else," once the work has begun? The prices were disclosed to me, but I still don't feel like that gives them the right to do this.

I have been on the opposite side of this situation...kind of.

I run a moving company and believe me, we have our share of people who don't want to pay the bill for various reasons (took too long, movers were slow, under estimated, blah blah blah).

We have had a signature next to a total amount due and were taken to court and still lost!!! So I know there is a chance, even though it may be very small.

I guess the main thing here is I don't wanna go down without a fight. I have chalked so many things up as a lesson learned in the past that I'm tired of it.

boosted635
01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Not related,,, but kinda is.
FWIW

:ranton:
I own a residential design biz and was called to court to testify on behalf of my client.
He bought a large 2 story home on the water and we added a 2 story covered porch down one side overlooking the water and pool.
He used my prelim drawings to obtain roofing estimates from three roofers to verify pricing prior to closing. He had a verbal meeting with each roofer to get quotes to re-roof the existing and the new addition - changing from shingles to metal.
He chose the estimate in the middle and signed a proposal... not a contract! Being a propsal, the description of work was brief, no material qty, et cetra.
We later made a small change in the design before completed drawings were issued that would simplify construction, use less material and should have saved him money. He called the roofer and told them he made a change, it was simplified and that he did not need a revised price... just wanted the roofer to have a current set of drawings.
Plans were delivered and the roofer sent a new proposal with an additional $5k charge. He stated he did not have the addition in the proposal :smt101
Of course the client was upset, called the roofer, they got into an arguement and the roofer told the client to "screw himself and hire someone else".
Fast forward to project completion and my client gets a notice of a lawsuit from the first roofer. Sueing for $5k... his alleged "profit".
WTF is that? He never ordered materials, only stepped on the job once for the initial bid and then jacked the price by another 30%.

Believe it or not,,, my client lost and had to pay the $5k plus attorney's fees for both sides and minor additional damages for slander b/c he brought myself and the other two roofers into court to testify and the first roofer claimed he was now getting a bad name in an industry where we all know each other b/c this matter was spread outside the two person party and we as professionals could also now tarnish his name and cost him future contracts. WTF! How does that prove slander?
The clients attorney proved and the roofer admitted in court that he sues for this all the time, always wins and turned a substantial profit on non-awarded work last year.
IMHO there is no way the client should lose that case!

I guess what I am getting at is to be careful, that signiture goes a long way and slander, well... it's all b.s. and the consumer is easily screwed and barely protected,,, at least in Fla.
Being right is not always right :(

And tradesman wonder why they "get a bad wrap" and "are not trusted" :hifu

:rantoff:

flat--line
01-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I guess it really just comes down to which judge you have and how his or her day is going!

After all, their job is to interpret the laws.

boosted635
01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
I guess.
I realize I am not telling you anything you don't already know.
Just providing another personal example of how flawed our system can sometimes be.
I'd hate to see a L bro (or anyone) suffer like this guy is.
I really do not see the fairness, did not see him losing that case, nor understand that judgement. I stayed for the whole case and the roofer did not even have to prove his profit margin :smt102
The client now is debateing appeal, but does not want to risk more $.
Guess I need to be on the look out for another supeana (sp) :bolt