Oil in the coolant tank - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Oil in the coolant tank

I was driving my gen 2 down a loop highway and I got on it a little bit then I smelt anti freeze then pulled over right away and it was one of my heater hoses that cracked.. the one that goes to the passenger head then back to the passenger side cab i think its called the heater hose supply return line any who ...once I replaced the hose I drove it to my local orileys parts store and bought some antifreeze and filled it up I drove it home and I checked the coolant again to make sure it was still topped off and I found the coolant tank dark and murky wich pretty sure it's oil and I also checked my oil dip stick and there was almost no oil inside.. what might this problem be a head gasket went bad maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Stock block 11 second club

Its common for the heater hoses to fail in that location. When the engine overheats due to lack of coolant you risk warping the head(s) due to eccessive heat. Once the head warps the head gaskets are unable to do their job.

Murky coolant is to be expected if you neglect to flush the coolant system periodically. But “murky” doesn’t necessarily mean there is oil in the coolant. You can purchase a hydrocarbon test kit to check the coolant for oil contamination.

Although oil can contaminate the coolant in the event of a lifted head or faulty head gasket(s), you shouldn’t lose nearly the entire oil capacity in such a short period of time.

When is the last time you checked your oul level? I wonder if you had a pre-existing issue that caused oil consumption over a period of time that you only caught now as result of the ruptured heater hose.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

What's going on throttle jockey kind of late but happy veterans day ....i haven't took the truck out for about 6 months (had my first kid a year ago and was one of the lucky ones that got to keep the lightning) lol but I would turn it on once a month and would drive it on the weekend periodically once to twice a month that way it would not just sit there..to tell you the truth ever since I did the oil change about 5 months ago I have not checked the level of the oil (shame on me I know better to check it more often)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Btw I sticker a clear zip lock down the coolant tank and wiped it on a white rag and it was a black oil based lubricant on the rag

Last edited by hector svt 02; 11-12-2017 at 02:31 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:03 PM

Thank you.

The heater hose typically fails during a WOT pull. Many guys lose theirs at the track. I lost mine during a little street contest against a friend in his SRT-10. I immediately pulled over and identified the problem. Fortunately I was a very short distance from home so I risked it and limped Belle home to the garage knowing that I could warp the head(s).

How long did you drive before identifying the problem? If you didn’t catch the problem early then you might have done some things preventable damage.

I’d start with a hydrocarbon test of the coolant and a compression check.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes I did a WOT pull on the highway as well and as soon as I let off I smelt the antifreeze and pulled over immediately so it's wasn't even 300 yards from when I started noticing the coolant smell when I pulled over ...and again after I replaced the hose I drove it to the nearest orileys while I was monitoring the coolant temps on my aeroforce guage knowing i was almost out of coolant and the temp never went over 205
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:47 PM

How did you get the truck from where you identified the ruptured hose to where you fixed the ruptured hose? If you drove the truck an extended distance then you likely warped the head(s).

IMHO that still wouldn’t explain the excessive oil consumption.

And why not add water to the system before driving to the auto parts store?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I called a cousin of mine that was close by and left the truck were i pulled it over right away (at a HEB)
Replaced the hose then I drove it to the orileys monitoring it closely that it wouldn't over heat which was about 1 mile away from the HEB...i was in a hurry and was just not thinking and being naive