Currently have
LT's with aftermarket exhaust and a CAI

What's going in:
2.9 upper
6lb pulley
SCT 2600
Plugs
Punisher VB and 4x4 Pan
Joker Ported Case, Plenum and TB coming soon.
Gonna email tune with JJ since I'm in central Texas and there is litteraly no one reputable in my area that I trust.

What else would you guys recommend since I'm email tunning? Or just anything to help the set up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 PM
E85R

Wide band gauge.

The foot say's go, The light say's no!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 AM
11 second street truck

Wide band and fuel pressure gauge
Long bars

Erik Korn for tuning

2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.3 KB - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6 - Garage Queen
2008 F-250 - Tuned - Deleted - Lifted - BroDozer
1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194
1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2015 Hyundai Sonota Sport
1997 BMW 540i 6MT
My Youtube

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 AM

Do some research first. Stuff on your list will be a waste of money. (Unnecessary or over kill) Be careful on here also. Bunch of guy's that think they know everything never help except to point out the negativity of anything they see. I have gained a lot of knowledge on LR but you have to talk to the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockishHD View Post
Currently have
LT's with aftermarket exhaust and a CAI

What's going in:
2.9 upper <<< Not necessary, change lower only to mod boost. Smaller upper has better chance of slipping.

6lb- 8lb pulley <<< Max on stock HD w/o built lower

SCT 2600 <<< 2400 most likely plenty for street application.

Plugs <<<

Punisher VB and 4x4 Pan <<< ??? Waste

Joker Ported Case, Plenum <<< ??? Waste

TB << Accufab Best for $$.

Gonna email tune with JJ since I'm in central Texas and there is literally no one reputable in my area that I trust.
<<< Wait or take to tuner. (Waste) Mail not best way to go. Plenty of tuners in Texas.

What else would you guys recommend since I'm email tuning? Or just anything to help the set up.
**Most mods in the beginning will be retained unless you do this or that also. (Tuning every time you do a few mods wastes $$$. To get her running right you need a budget of $4-5,000. I wish I waited and bought all at once. Would've saved a lot of $$$ & time.

Mods;

-#8 Metco lower pulley
*080690 69.72 belt
-Plugs NGK TR6
-170 Thermostat
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-BA2400 MAF
-60 lb injectors
-Accufab LTB Throttle Body
-Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
-ARH (Full System)<awaiting install

Last edited by 03F150HD; 05-19-2017 at 05:50 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Save some time and money and just do an 8# lower. JJ has been great to me with tuning so far, if you buy the tuner from him you get a custom tune and revisions included.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03F150HD View Post
Do some research first. Stuff on your list will be a waste of money. (Unnecessary or over kill) Be careful on here also. Bunch of guy's that think they know everything never help except to point out the negativity of anything they see. I have gained a lot of knowledge on LR but you have to talk to the right people.

**Most mods in the beginning will be retained unless you do this or that also. (Tuning every time you do a few mods wastes $$$. To get her running right you need a budget of $4-5,000. I wish I waited and bought all at once. Would've saved a lot of $$$ & time.

What's a waste of money on my list?
I got the 6lb new for 180 and a friend gave me his L upper free. Don't want to peg my stock maf so I got a bigger one. My trans recently started slipping so it's getting re built and I'm putting in the VB to help with the new power plus it will shift pretty awesome. Obviously I need new plugs and a port is honsetly what our stock supercharger needs since air flow is restricted a bit. Please explain whats a waste here? And any recommended parts. I don't have a budget and that is also why I'm asking for input before i install everything since i want to be done the first time.

I've been researching for the past 5 months and this is the best I've come up with. Without wasting money usless mods.

Thanks
02harleydavidson likes this.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02harleydavidson View Post
Save some time and money and just do an 8# lower. JJ has been great to me with tuning so far, if you buy the tuner from him you get a custom tune and revisions included.
Yeah I hear great things about JJ and I saw the SCT tunner with custom tune he sells. Oh and by the way I bought the 6lb for 180 new and a friend gave me his L upper free. Also have a friend lending me his pulley puller. Thanks

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:37 AM

OP - you have a pretty good list.

The 2.9 upper with the 6# lower is basically the same as adding an 8# lower to a regular Harley blower and a lot of Lightning owners have used that combo for years without belt slipping problems with the right length belt.

SCT 2600 is basically the same thing as the old BA2400 (no longer offered by SCT) so you're good there.

Definitely nothing wrong with the VB to decrease clutch slippage in the trans during shifts and always a plus to add more capacity with the 4X4 pan.

A properly ported case (Joker) will add more boost and lower downstream temps vs the stocker.

As previously stated - GET A WIDEBAND and FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE !!!!! Your tuner will need datalogs from the wideband to properly tune the truck unless you go to an actual tuner shop that has the A/F probes and dyno.

If you're still running the stock fuel pumps, you'll need to consider going to bigger pumps and a metal 'Y' in the tank and getting close with these mods to needing bigger injectors (60#).

SBTB = good.

With these mods, you'll have a great running truck, but close to the limits of the stock block - start saving $$$ for a new one down the road.

Bird
02harleydavidson likes this.

2001 Red Lightning - 2.3 Whipple, Dynatech Lt's, Bassani Exhaust, Hotchkis TVS suspension
11.52@119mph (80 more rwhp since then)

2002 TB Lightning - new JDM aluminum engine, Cannon 3" exhaust, 2.3 whipple
10.36@130mph (on old engine)

QUOTE OF THE YEAR(decade) : Posted by Ride The "That being said, I probably would have given him fellatio on the side of the road by the soft glow of headlights from the passing traffic in order to not go to jail."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
OP - you have a pretty good list.

The 2.9 upper with the 6# lower is basically the same as adding an 8# lower to a regular Harley blower and a lot of Lightning owners have used that combo for years without belt slipping problems with the right length belt.

SCT 2600 is basically the same thing as the old BA2400 (no longer offered by SCT) so you're good there.

Definitely nothing wrong with the VB to decrease clutch slippage in the trans during shifts and always a plus to add more capacity with the 4X4 pan.

A properly ported case (Joker) will add more boost and lower downstream temps vs the stocker.

As previously stated - GET A WIDEBAND and FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE !!!!! Your tuner will need datalogs from the wideband to properly tune the truck unless you go to an actual tuner shop that has the A/F probes and dyno.

If you're still running the stock fuel pumps, you'll need to consider going to bigger pumps and a metal 'Y' in the tank and getting close with these mods to needing bigger injectors (60#).

SBTB = good.

With these mods, you'll have a great running truck, but close to the limits of the stock block - start saving $$$ for a new one down the road.

Bird
Thanks for the info.
I was considering getting some 255 walbros, possibly the kit from LFP. I already have 97 rails in a box so I would just need an ajustble regulator and have the tuner bypass the system to have it run 12v full time. Are the 60lb injectors needed or just a good upgrade?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
11 second street truck

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I was considering getting some 255 walbros, possibly the kit from LFP. I already have 97 rails in a box so I would just need an ajustble regulator and have the tuner bypass the system to have it run 12v full time. Are the 60lb injectors needed or just a good upgrade?
Unless you see issues, pumps and injectors aren't needed at that power level. I tan a ported blower and a 6lb lower four years on stock pumps and injectors

2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.3 KB - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6 - Garage Queen
2008 F-250 - Tuned - Deleted - Lifted - BroDozer
1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194
1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
2015 Hyundai Sonota Sport
1997 BMW 540i 6MT
My Youtube
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
With the extra boost / airflow from the pullies, ported blower and exhaust, you're going to be right on the edge of max'ing out your stock injectors - 60's would give you a good safety margin and allow for more fueling in the future. I mentioned pumps at this point mainly due to the age of the stockers and the possibility of a broken plastic 'Y' fitting coming up.

Bird

2001 Red Lightning - 2.3 Whipple, Dynatech Lt's, Bassani Exhaust, Hotchkis TVS suspension
11.52@119mph (80 more rwhp since then)

2002 TB Lightning - new JDM aluminum engine, Cannon 3" exhaust, 2.3 whipple
10.36@130mph (on old engine)

QUOTE OF THE YEAR(decade) : Posted by Ride The "That being said, I probably would have given him fellatio on the side of the road by the soft glow of headlights from the passing traffic in order to not go to jail."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:04 PM
11.42 @119.87 Stock Block

I would not run that pulley size and not get 60 injectors and walbro 255 pumps. I bet JJ will tell you that also and JJ has tuned my truck since 2006. I was pegging the MAF and running out of fuel with a 5lb lower and 3.00 upper on stock 42 injectors and pumps. That is why I changed to JJ as my tuner. (and I think you have a great list of mods no waste of money there)

U3.75 L4lb 3.4 Whipp WMS Monster intake Fade to Black intake Elbow jdm E fan Morso tran pan FTVB SCT Xcall 4 tuner oil separator sct 5000 maf sbvtb Fiberglass rear springs JDM drag springs panhard bar catless mid pipe ARH long tubes headers and 3 inch exhaust 58 long bars 2400 stall wms upper control arms carbon drive shaft Killer Chiller and WMS custom Tune