3898 build thread - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

3898 build thread

So, like I've eluded in other posts, I am doing some major work on my truck. It all started when my transmission started missing it's 1-2 shift a couple years ago and I had to decide what I wanted to do. After a little debate with myself I decided to go with a manual swap. First it was going to be a T56, but after some thought I decided to go with the T56 Magnum (TR6060) because of the weight of the truck. I bought a level IV transmission brand new from Tick Performance and pieced together the other pieces.

Parts for the trans swap include:
Stage IV TR6060 by Tick
American Powertrain Hydramax Hydraulic Clutch Kit
clutch position switch
RAM street dual disc clutch and flywheel

QuickTime scatter shield
bronze shifter bushing
ARP flywheel bolts

JTS Venom shifter

t56 trans mount

SA10 custom console
Steering column cover from donor truck
Set of pedals from donor truck

In addition to the transmission, I had already been acquiring parts over the past several years. Some of those include:
C&L Intake Plenum
BA2600
Accufab SBTB
AutoMeter custom made gauges (wideband, fuel pressure, and oil pressure)
Triple Pillar Pod and OEM pillar trim
snout rebuild kit
Lightning upper pulley and pulley puller
Lightning rear sway bar
Lightning front Calipers
Dual 255 pumps

So I had been gathering all these parts and they were collecting dust on my shelves. What really got me going was when I picked up a Harley356 battery relocation kit and Gambino relocation tray while I was on vacation this summer. When I got home I decided to go ahead and relocate the battery. Well, I got the battery out and started cutting into my harness and for the life of me couldn't stand to leave the starter solenoid where it was. I started looking at how to hide a few things and that quickly turned into hiding everything humanly possible lol. Now I have the entire engine bay harness out, engine harness out, and the engine is going to be getting pulled soon to go built.

Here's a list of what I've decided to do since starting the battery relocation:
JDM engine rebuild kit with factory bore size (Manley rods, pistons, oil pump, etc)
JDM 90mm idlers
JDM head bolt and gasket kit
Washer fluid reservoir delete
Starter solenoid relocation
Evap purge valve relocation to inside wiper cowl
ABS delte
Hydroboost conversion
Wilwood proportioning valve
Canton power steering reservoir and relocated
AC relocation to behind passenger headlight
New coolant overflow tank and relocated
Purchased the submersible fuel line and stainless Y for the pumps
60# injectors
M122
Complete harness tuck (luckily one of my friends builds harness for LS engines and Trick and he is doing mine)
fuse box relocated to where ABS was
3/4" IC lines and rerouted inside cowl/fender
new IC tank
new heater core hoses that don't have the stupid loops that take up half the engine (place by me builds custom lines. they did my stainless brake lines and will be making these and the AC lines)
shaved firewall and painted engine bay. will make covers for wheel wells and fender walls
PCV delete

Stuff getting powder coated:
Blower
midplate
thermostat housing
idler bridge
timing cover
valve covers
turkey pan
anything else that's metal. my mind isn't processing too well after writing everything lol

here's a teaser pic of what my truck looks like right now (other than the trans cooler no longer being there)
Boss Hoss and El Chemo like this.

Belltech 2" Shackles, 6# lower, JLT CAI, EGR delete, SCT with tune by Amazon, 22" replicas with Toyo 305/45/22 Proxes ST, 4.10:1 Gears, TA Diff Girdle
JL Stealth Box with JL sub and Kicker amp, Jason bed cover, Bed Rug

Last edited by corrond56; 10-15-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

It's been a busy couple days. Got new jack stands at harbor freight. 12 ton capacity and 30" height. Got the truck up on those and pulled the driveshaft yesterday and the transmission came out this evening. I also got a shipping notice from JDM so all of my parts from them will be here Monday.

Boss Hoss likes this.

Belltech 2" Shackles, 6# lower, JLT CAI, EGR delete, SCT with tune by Amazon, 22" replicas with Toyo 305/45/22 Proxes ST, 4.10:1 Gears, TA Diff Girdle

Last edited by corrond56; 10-13-2016 at 09:09 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Yeah It's Stock

Looks like it's going to be a nice build. Keep us posted.

2001 FORD LIGHTNING/TUNED BY J.J/STOCK BLOCK/PORTED BLOWER/8# LOWER/2.7 UPPER/DYNATECH/BASSANI/JLP PLENUM/AIRFORCE 1/JLP CAI/BA 2600/ACCUFAB SBTB/97 RAILS/2600 CIRCLE D/4:10 GEARS/STIFFLERS/QA1/FAF/JLP SHACKLES
1/8TH MILE PUMP GAS TUNE
1.60 60' 7.60 @ 91 MPH
E85 TRACK TIMES COMING SOON

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

little update since I've been working on my patio the past few days instead of the truck. Parts from JDM got here. pulled the ac compressor from the engine and got the truck back down to a more normal height. I also got my engine stand put together for when the engine finally comes out.

and if anyone is wondering how I am keeping all the nuts and bolts straight...they are all going into their own drawer in one of these and labeled

and the current status of my wire harness

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 06:40 PM

Can't wait to see some progress!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 05:06 AM
Trans Brake Test Bitch

Build is the most fun part!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade 2 Black View Post
Build is the most fun part!
The build is or is it going through the gears???

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 PM

Garage
That dismantled wire harness is so intimidating to look at! Definitely following this thread. Good stuff

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chemo View Post
That dismantled wire harness is so intimidating to look at! Definitely following this thread. Good stuff
I'm glad it's not me making it! I've been telling him what I want and he shrugs his shoulders and goes "is that all you've got?"

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 12:25 AM

Garage
I'm interested in seeing more of the engine wire tuck progress. I already relocated the firewall harness/solenoid below the wiper cowl and hid the pcm behind the glove box(that wasn't fun at all!!!) I also just realized i could've relocated the evap components under the wiper cowl too. Oh well, that's for another day

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I think that we decided to run the harness around the front of the truck under the radiator support to prevent marrying it to the truck. We were going to make an extension harness with other connectors, but nobody makes a connector that holds that many wires that is a reasonable size so the hole would've been too big. Now I'll have more space under there for ic lines and evap. Moving the fuse block will hide it more under the intake. The three large bulkheads on the drivers side will come up from the bottom once I cut a hole out and a plate is going to be welded on the front side to make a little cubby while leaving access from the bottom. The engine harness itself will have the wires from the AC and power steering pump (can't remember off top of my head, one wire that drops down the front of the engine on driver side) moved into the chassis harness to be less visible. Also, all the unnecessary trans wires will be taken out and a smaller connector used if possible
El Chemo likes this.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Not a whole lot that's new right now. I was out of town for over a week and a half so it's been slow. I did get in new to me ford racing gears and a new water pump. I also got an engine hoist from a friend brought over so hopefully the power plant will get pulled soon

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrond56 View Post
I think that we decided to run the harness around the front of the truck under the radiator support to prevent marrying it to the truck. We were going to make an extension harness with other connectors, but nobody makes a connector that holds that many wires that is a reasonable size so the hole would've been too big. Now I'll have more space under there for ic lines and evap. Moving the fuse block will hide it more under the intake. The three large bulkheads on the drivers side will come up from the bottom once I cut a hole out and a plate is going to be welded on the front side to make a little cubby while leaving access from the bottom. The engine harness itself will have the wires from the AC and power steering pump (can't remember off top of my head, one wire that drops down the front of the engine on driver side) moved into the chassis harness to be less visible. Also, all the unnecessary trans wires will be taken out and a smaller connector used if possible
Looking forward to seeing the progress pics! I removed my fuse box the other week and was trying to see where else I could move it to but no luck. Just ended up turning it 180degrees (so the fuse box cover would open the same way as the hood) and moved it and inch back towards the brake booster. While I was at it, I painted the bracket that held it and hid my cruise control wires and what not underneath the fuse box. Looks cleaner imo, but hopefully I'll be able to find a spot to hide the fuse box

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

I looked at turning mine around but didn't see how it was possible with the wires being so tight. All you have to do is delete abs lol.

I did get the engine out this past weekend. Hoping to start getting the engine bay cleaned today and running lines for the relocation of basically everything

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Garage
I don't know if I'd want to delete my abs on my dd truck...lol
Gr0v3r likes this.