How much is it worth? - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

How much is it worth?

Ok Guys, I am contemplating putting my truck up for sale but I need your feedback.

Truck is a 2001 and currently has a bunch of parts taken off. I was planning on doing several mods to the vehicle but have since sold a majority of the extras. Only parts missing to get it running is a stock throttle body and a battery. Things just need to be put together. I was planning on pulling the engine at some point as well. Currently has 8lb lower pulley installed. Tires are in great shape too (just dirty).

Here are a few pics. Parting out as a roller currently isn't an option unless enough people are willing to pick up the items.

Has a clean title and about 74K on the clock. I haven't driven it since 2013-2014 and it has been garage kept for most of that time period since.

How much is it worth??? Was hoping to get $9K for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0117.jpg (145.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0118.jpg (121.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (100.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (101.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (93.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (94.1 KB, 191 views)

Back in the Lightning game!!!!

SHADY 2001 Black L #5,286
PLENTY OF WORK TO DO ON THIS ONE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:38 PM
E85R

5-6k

The foot say's go, The light say's no!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Drunk View Post
5-6k
Help me understand why so little?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Stiffler's guinea pig

Yes, I would have to agree on the 5-6k figure. And the paint and interior would have to be in good shape.

Build 2261 on 2/28/02, e85, 6# JLP pulley, Stieg Stage IV port, Stieg t/b and plenum port, Madfan e-fan, Ruslow p/s and water pump underdrive pulleys, 255 Walbro's, 60# injectors, JLP CAI, SCT BA2400 MAF, TR6 plugs, EGR delete, Jason's double resistor heat sink mod, FRPP drop, Punisher VB, Stifflers x-brace/long bars/safety loop, Hellwig front/rear swaybars, Stifflers adjustable upper control arms, Stifflers stainless brake lines, Baer slotted/drilled front rotors, Centerline Matrix 5's, Nitto NT05R's rear.

"Life may begin at 30, but it doesn't get real interesting until around 150."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 03:50 PM

It's not running/together, parts missing, tires will have flat spots, and no guarantee it ran well before taking it apart. Also, not sure about body and interior problems.

But, I know how it's hard to see a low price when you're the one selling.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 PM

Personally I think 4k-5k max, not running, as is. If I'm the buyer I have to consider that the motor, transmission, and rear end are all just scrap and could have major damage. Anything that actually works is a money making bonus.

I bought my first 2003 lightning with 110k miles, perfectly running, for under $7k. Sure it was a good deal, but my point is that the deals are out there. You'd be hard pressed to ask more than that for a non-running truck IMO.

I'd bet you can at least double that if it was running though. If you put it back stock and it's in good condition I'd bet you can get $15k+ though with a clear title and that mileage. You may be able to get that with the modifications too, but in my experience people pay more for stock trucks IF they are low mileage.

My Rides:
2003 Ford Lightning - stock block - ported all over -6lb lower
2003 Ford Lightning - built block/heads/trans - 3.4 whipple
1969 Chevrolet Camaro - z28
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM

What he said in spades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Poppins View Post
Personally I think 4k-5k max, not running, as is. If I'm the buyer I have to consider that the motor, transmission, and rear end are all just scrap and could have major damage. Anything that actually works is a money making bonus.

I bought my first 2003 lightning with 110k miles, perfectly running, for under $7k. Sure it was a good deal, but my point is that the deals are out there. You'd be hard pressed to ask more than that for a non-running truck IMO.

I'd bet you can at least double that if it was running though. If you put it back stock and it's in good condition I'd bet you can get $15k+ though with a clear title and that mileage. You may be able to get that with the modifications too, but in my experience people pay more for stock trucks IF they are low mileage.
A non-running truck is really a parts vehicle to a buyer. Sorry man.

99L bought new, Forged short block with a main cap girdle, ARP bolts and studs, I W dampner, ported PI heads, 1-7/8" long tubes, 3" full exh, ported Eaton, long bars, solid motor mounts, Trans by A-1, 18 lb pullied, dumped the X4 tuner.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by junioRace View Post
Yes, I would have to agree on the 5-6k figure. And the paint and interior would have to be in good shape.
Interior is in really good shape. Even got newer door panels because the previous ones had holes for tweeters in them. Expy console is also a mod that I have waiting to be installed. I would say the paint is about a 7 out of 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandnuts View Post
It's not running/together, parts missing, tires will have flat spots, and no guarantee it ran well before taking it apart. Also, not sure about body and interior problems.

But, I know how it's hard to see a low price when you're the one selling.

Somehow I have been able to avoid the flat spots on the tires. I guess because its been moved enough to prevent wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Poppins View Post

I would say the internals and tranny are still great...would they become scrap by just sitting in the garage? Why would there be any damage? It ran fine before/after I changed out alternators.
I agree with you on the deals...I've seen so many too. Makes alot of sense that I couldn't charge $8.5K for a non-running truck. I think I was looking at it from a mileage and condition standpoint versus not running. I know at that price it would be a deal if it was running.

Really good points guys! I appreciate the feedback!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Even Then I Was Old Skool!

Garage
I'd agree with the consensus... $5K-$6K at best and I say that because I've seen running trucks that look decent for $7K asking. It'd be worth at least $2K more if you put it all back together and cleaned it up.

People laughed at me when I was asking $28.5K for my truck 2 years ago, but were baffled when I actually got it. Actually had plenty of people ready to buy it, one guy offered my $1K to kill the sale and give it to him. And I wound up selling extra parts (blowers, hoods, plenum, throttle bodies, grills, bed covers, exhaust systems, and much more for at least another $5K. I probably cleared $35K all told and it wasn't a built-engine truck.

Yes, my truck was low mileage, exceptionally clean, and I provided dozens and dozens of pictures to anyone that was serious about buying it. The buyer bought it sight unseen, paid to have it shipped in a covered car carrier to the west coast from Massachusetts and told me that it was everything he had hoped it would be when it was delivered. Sadly, he sold it within a year and the next buyer also wound up trading it in, and now a 3rd buyer is contemplating buying it but told me it now needs a lot of TLC. Kinda sad story, but the point is that you'll never get top dollar for a pile of parts.

Put it back together, clean it up and ask $9-$10K.

Long-Time Lightning Owner Now Driving a Big Block '69 Camaro
Click Either of the Two Links Below For More Information On:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM

get it running, do a 3 stage detail and you could possibly get $10K-$16K depending on the area and demand for a black Lightning. that's what I would do.

2001 Silver Lightning-Ported blower, 6lb pulley, magnaflow mid pipe and catback. other lil goodies.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 05:11 PM
I paid my buck-o-five

Quote:
Originally Posted by alightningfan08 View Post
Help me understand why so little?
that's quite high actually for what they are being sold for as a heap of a non running vehicle

put it back togther and you'll get $9-$11k for it