Oh no. Help me figure this one out. It's not looking good. - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Oh no. Help me figure this one out. It's not looking good.

So I bought another L and most of you saw my other thread about it. I need some help from the educated Lightning users.

Quick short story for what I bought. Built lower. Built heads. 6# lower. all supporting bolts ons.

Story the OWNER told me: He bought the truck with the built long block installed but no accessories on the engine. He paid someone to install all the accessories. Truck doesn't have any o2 sensors and no tune. He is tired of it. I inspect and look at a few receipts. Truck will not start up. It cranks over but does not start. When I unplugged the SCT MAF and hold to the floor it does sort of start up and runs horribly for a few seconds before shutting off. I pay a small amount to minimize my risk and leave with the truck.

Story the PREVIOUS PREVIOUS owner told me because I found him on FB:
He did sell the truck disassembled and the other guy had it assembled and drove it around for a while WITHOUT ever having it tuned. Now the truck no longer starts up and he said the guy more than likely has broken something internally since it was running lean for a few months.

I have o2 sensors installed and a base tune from JJ now. That's where I currently am. The truck still does not start up. It just turns over. When I unplug the MAF and press it to the floor, it starts and runs for a second and shuts off. Any one have a direction I should start based on that info?

I am breaking out the bore scope tonight.
After that I will compression test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Truck has all ARP hardware too.
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM

Possably a shorted mass air sensor for starters, also would pull a few of the easier plugs to see what they look like, may have been running rich and be fouled???? Compreession or leakdown test may be in order??? Check for codes??? just a few places to start. usuallly when you hold it to the floor when cranking it shuts off the fuel to the injectors to clear a flodded engine, thats why I say look at the plugs.

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksbp View Post
Possably a shorted mass air sensor for starters, also would pull a few of the easier plugs to see what they look like, may have been running rich and be fouled???? Compreession or leakdown test may be in order??? Check for codes??? just a few places to start. usuallly when you hold it to the floor when cranking it shuts off the fuel to the injectors to clear a flodded engine, thats why I say look at the plugs.
That makes sense. I was concerned that the previous previous owner said start with a bore scope. He is friends with the guy I got it from and it seems he is inclined to think something broke internally.

Plugs will be coming out when I get home. Hopefully they point me in a direction. I hate having a job. I want to go work on it now.
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:56 PM

Ya work is a real pain in the arse!!!! I know the feeling. I'm old and then when I get home i'm too tired to to do what I would like to do. We had a truck towed in for a no start and believ it or not it had a bug stuck to the hot wire on the mass air, flicked athe bug off and put a new air cleaner in and drove it away. They will start and idle with no mass air but if the signal wire is shorted it is a no start. I hope there is no internal engine damage, but from what you are describing you may have your hands full trying to determine what other people have messed up, you will probably have to check and double check everything. The best of luck to you!!!!!

Last edited by chucksbp; 09-25-2017 at 01:06 PM.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Stock Block 11.48@121

Garage
i would check all of the fuses, under hood and under the dash to start. Then go from there, fuel pressure, plugs, pinched wires...
chucksbp likes this.

[SIGPIC]
92 GSXR 1100-8.80's
88 Cougar-5.0/5sp
00 L Cornfed
07 Ranger-DD
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Ya work is a real pain in the arse!!!! I know the feeling. I'm old and then when I get home i'm too tired to to do what I would like to do. We had a truck towed in for a no start and believ it or not it had a bug stuck to the hot wire on the mass air, flicked athe bug off and put a new air cleaner in and drove it away. They will start and idle with no mass air but if the signal wire is shorted it is a no start. I hope there is no internal engine damage, but from what you are describing you may have your hands full trying to determine what other people have messed up, you will probably have to check and double check everything. The best of luck to you!!!!!
Sir,
Everything Chucksbp said x2. But let me add this: DON'T EVER GIVE UP!! These guys are here to help.
cbxer55 and quewyn like this.

The Exhilaration of Acceleration
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:48 PM

When you turn the engine over, does it smell like fuel?
I had a similar problem with a L engine that was sitting for a while and turned out the injectors were clogged solid.
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks man. I got the plugs out last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjexer View Post
i would check all of the fuses, under hood and under the dash to start. Then go from there, fuel pressure, plugs, pinched wires...
Fuses are on the list of things to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.EKB View Post
Sir,
Everything Chucksbp said x2. But let me add this: DON'T EVER GIVE UP!! These guys are here to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDoctor View Post
When you turn the engine over, does it smell like fuel?
I had a similar problem with a L engine that was sitting for a while and turned out the injectors were clogged solid.
Oh yeh. I meant to say that above. I can smell fuel.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Update:
I got the plugs out last night. Some of the worst I've seen in an L. There is also a broken coil pack on the passenger side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug.jpg (110.6 KB, 204 views)
quewyn likes this.
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:30 AM
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck

Those are super fouled up, which makes sense from how you're describing what it's doing.

COuple things....
-Fresh plugs, throw some NGK TR6's in there, they're cheap, if they foul up again, who cares
-Make sure all the coils are good if you mentioned one was broken
-remove the fuel pump relay in the fuse box (or fuse) and crank it over, you should get a good idea if it sounds smooth turning over, or if it's clanking like a rod is swinging around loose lol
-make sure the battery is good. I've seen piss poor relocation setups with good batteries have a bear of a time starting from weak voltage at the pcm. Truck would crank and crank and crank but not fire up. Then it'd crack and bang and foul plugs up real bad. Redid the grounds on the shitty relocation kit and bam fired right up. Another reason why I built my own relocation kits to eliminate that crappy type work but that's aside from this lol.

Also make sure the fuel is good if it's been in there a while, may want to drain it out and put fresh in. I've also seen trucks really acting up if they've had race fuel sitting for ages then try to fire up.
quewyn likes this.

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 820/875, _9.89@138.78
D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.59@100.95 (SOLD 10/15/11)
REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #???? of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 15.24@_91.71
GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint
post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
Those are super fouled up, which makes sense from how you're describing what it's doing.

COuple things....
-Fresh plugs, throw some NGK TR6's in there, they're cheap, if they foul up again, who cares
-Make sure all the coils are good if you mentioned one was broken
-remove the fuel pump relay in the fuse box (or fuse) and crank it over, you should get a good idea if it sounds smooth turning over, or if it's clanking like a rod is swinging around loose lol
-make sure the battery is good. I've seen piss poor relocation setups with good batteries have a bear of a time starting from weak voltage at the pcm. Truck would crank and crank and crank but not fire up. Then it'd crack and bang and foul plugs up real bad. Redid the grounds on the shitty relocation kit and bam fired right up. Another reason why I built my own relocation kits to eliminate that crappy type work but that's aside from this lol.

Also make sure the fuel is good if it's been in there a while, may want to drain it out and put fresh in. I've also seen trucks really acting up if they've had race fuel sitting for ages then try to fire up.
I just did store pickup on a set of TR6's.

It sort of cranks with the MAF unplugged and I don't hear anything clanking around in the lower end. I was under the hood when the guy "cranked" it and I didn't hear anything that caused big concern.

The battery on the truck was dead. I've charged it and I have been turning it over with a charger on it. I may need to just go ahead and replace it. The truck seems slow to turn over. Kind of like it's real high in compression. It turns over like a cummins 6BT if anyone is familiar with them.

I did not think about old fuel in the tank. It is real low in fuel. Maybe 1/8 of a tank. I'll either drain that or add to.
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 AM

Sir,
Drain it!! Lord only knows what is in the bottom of the tank. With the crappy gas we buy at the pumps, there could be something swimming in there! And lest we forget the effects of ethanol while storing. Eliminate as many variables as possible. Slow to spin also is something not conducive to starting.

The Exhilaration of Acceleration
post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 AM

From what you were discribing, that was about what I expected, it was running super rich and completly fould the plugs. When you held it wide open and cranked, the left over fuel was trying to ignite, better than a lean problem in my opinion. You may also want to take a close look at the oil situation, may have washed down the walls and may have a lot of fuel in the oil. For the price of a few squirts of oil and a filter don't distroy the engine.
Capt.EKB likes this.
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 AM

Definitely run a leak down and compression test as well. Being that it was that rich it could have washed your cylinder walls and damaged a ring Or cylinder wall depending on how long it ran like that.