Lightning Rodder banner

coating frame

998 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Fast Willy 
#1 ·
I finally got some motivation again, got the garage all cleaned up and its time to get the body back off the frame so I can have the frame coated and suspension parts /rear end coated and get the truck back up to a proper roller again.

My Question is if you could coat, paint, powder coat your frame what would be the best option for the most durable and clean finish that will last hopefully forever?

I have read up on POR15 and most say it is basically indestructible but its very hard to get clean spray without any runs etc.

Powder coat is also another great option as it should be able to cover absolutely every inch of it properly I just worry about scratching etc.

Thoughts and suggestions?

#2 ·
I've always used Krylon indoor/outdoor satin black on all my vehicles.

#3 ·
if you powder coat you would need to strip the frame completly and find a big oven . it will scratch but tough
we use alot of por 15 here in the great north east and it holds up well . it can be sprayed ,dont get on your
hands very hard to get off

jcl

#4 ·
If the surface is able to be sandblasted and properly pre-cleaned than powder coat is the best option. But will cost a fortune.
The POR-15 is a great product and is bullet proof. I beat on the top of my frame with the pick end of my body hammer and it dented but did not chip or flake off. It's amazing. But again anywhere that doesn't get properly treated pre-cleaned and prepped will fail.
FWIW you can brush the POR-15 on with a cheap brush and it flows out smooth just like if you spray it.

#5 ·
Blasting it and Powder Coating would be the cleanest / show quality option, you just need the space to pull everything off the frame and trailer to transport the frame to the coaters.

I spent a week stripping & painting the frame and it was a PITA and a complete mess. I sprayed mine with KBS coatings and added a few coats of undercoating for an OEM look.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'm going to go with powder coat just to make sure I have a really smooth finish. The Frame has already been blasted just need to pickup the cab and bed and move it to the side in the garage.

Going to try and order all my stifflers stuff this week and hopefully be able to order it without coating that way I can have it all done at once to make sure it all matches exactly. Time to get motivated again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.