Oil comparison list - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Painless Autoworks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Oil comparison list

Found this while searching online. This is an unbiased, Informative, and technical article in regards to engine oils.

Scroll down if you want to skip to the oil rankings chart. I was running Amsoil 30wt break-in oil, now I'm running Castrol GTX 5w30 conventional. Looks like 5W30 Pentosin Pento Super Performance III or 5W30 Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic is going into my engine when I switch to synthetic. Mobil 1 is much cheaper than Pentosin.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
Capt.EKB likes this.

4X4 "L" conversion. Whipple 3.4, Monster inlet, 5" CAI, Custom midplate & spacer, Crusher Whipple Throttle body, BA5000MAF, Stage 2 heads, stage 2 Lunati cams, GT supercar lash adjusters/rockers, Manley H-beam rods, Manley 18cc pistons, twin 465 pumps, OBX fuel rails, Aeromotive regulator, 60# injectors, built 4R100 Transmission, blower slut valve body, 2400 PI stall converter, superduty trans cooler, 3:55 gears, OBX longtube headers with 3" v-flanges, Full 3" exhaust

E85 COMING SOON!

Last edited by Painless Autoworks; 08-10-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Good read thanks for posting. Im glad ive always have liked and used Mobil 1 synthetic in all my vehicles. Once i am able to swap to synthetic in the Lightning, Mobil 1 it is.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Not all Mobil-1 is the same. If you look through the list you will see.

I was going to run Amsoil Signature Series 5w30. It's great oil but there slightly better stuff out there I guess. Max effort build needs max effort oil.

4X4 "L" conversion. Whipple 3.4, Monster inlet, 5" CAI, Custom midplate & spacer, Crusher Whipple Throttle body, BA5000MAF, Stage 2 heads, stage 2 Lunati cams, GT supercar lash adjusters/rockers, Manley H-beam rods, Manley 18cc pistons, twin 465 pumps, OBX fuel rails, Aeromotive regulator, 60# injectors, built 4R100 Transmission, blower slut valve body, 2400 PI stall converter, superduty trans cooler, 3:55 gears, OBX longtube headers with 3" v-flanges, Full 3" exhaust

E85 COMING SOON!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to share this info and obviously reliable. I myself went synthetic about 6yrs. ago and use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. At that time I was surprised to find out that oil turning black is not always a bad thing as it also helps cool the engine. It was also at that time that I found out that additives aren't recommended which this article confirms.

The Exhilaration of Acceleration
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was tempted to try prolong oil additive a few years back but was hesitant. Glad I didn't as the chlorine can react with your oils additive package. Bearings were being damaged.

E85 COMING SOON!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painless Autoworks View Post
Not all Mobil-1 is the same. If you look through the list you will see.

Max effort build needs max effort oil.
Ill definitely be looking into the best Mobil 1 oil.

Couldn't argue with that! Max effort!

99 White Lightning built 6/9/99

Fully built-Turbo-N20-Caged-Built Trans by BTS