Abs light on - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Abs light on

So let me catch everyone up to what ive done the past couple of days so this helps narrow my problems.

I installed Djm uppers and lowers with new springs and shocks.

When I got home I noticed the rotors were really hot on both sides. Even my rims where hot.

On my way back out to the shop my passenger bearing goes out. So the next day we replaced bearing and seals on both sides with new rotors. I also replaced the abs senor on the passenger side because it was damaged.

I also cut a coil and put my suspension back together that day. After a little test drive I realized my alignment was way out of whack. So we adjusted my alignment somewhat today and I plan on going to the dealership soon to get it aligned.

So as Im going home today my abs light was on the whole time and I also see a little smoke coming off the front drivers side as I got home. Both rotors were very hot. Are my calipers dragging? Do I need to bleed the lines? Can the ford house help me with pin-pointing the abs issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 07:49 PM

After changing rotors and pads one time, I had one that was getting hot. I thoroughly cleaned the calipers and lubed the slides and the issue was resolved. I do this every time now. Not sure about your ABS light, may need a new (sensor) now.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:15 AM

Your calipers are hanging up. When was the last time you replaced the rubber brake hoses? they are only good for 7-10 years max(and thats pushing it) Also,make sure your calipers are not binding up due to rust/lack of grease on the slides and anti rattle clips. You may be looking at replacing calipers or rebuilding them if these things do not fix your issue. Also,get the abs code pulled to see exactly what is wrong instead of just replacing sensors. When was the last time the brake fluid was replaced?

2.3 whipple,built motor,jj fuel system,a1 trans
Pb so far 11.65 @ 114 with a 1.61 60'. 6lb crank pulley and 3.375 upper(15lbs of boost on 93oct)

Last edited by baja5bss; 08-03-2017 at 12:25 AM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja5bss View Post
Your calipers are hanging up. When is the last time you replaced the rubber brake hoses? they are only good for 7-10 years max(and thats pushing it) Also,make sure your calipers are not binding up due to rust/lack of grease on the slides and anti rattle clips. You may be looking at replacing calipers or rebuilding them if these things do not fix your issue. Also,get the abs code pulled to see exactly what is wrong instead of just replacing sensors. When was the last time the brake fluid was replaced?
Ive never changed the hoses or drained the fluid since I got the truck. Im going to get an alignment today at the ford house, hopefully they can tell me whats going on with the abs. I think you're right though, I think I need new hoses, fluid, and calipers. I dont think it has to do with the sensor I just replaced but I guess it could be.

Ill let you guys know what they tell me, appreciate the help
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

So they couldnt get it aligned into spec but it is driving better. He said if I had adjustable uppers he could get it within spec. He checked the abs senor and it is coming from the passenger side where my bearing went out and messed up the front sensor. He also said the abs sensor could be from the new rotors not having the ring to detect the speed? Ill be taking off the tires tomorrow and will check everything out
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 03:30 PM

Hehehehehe!

I got an ABS light 10 years ago. All 3 sensors were replaced, system bled. Light still on. (10 years)

From working at a Ford garage, some of them require a breakout box to be connected inline with the ABS harness,
so the solenoids can be cycled and the pump run to get any bubbles out.

I was told by a good ford mechanic that the board goes wonky and needs replaced sometimes.

I just ignore the light, at this point. Or I will just disconnect it to clean up the engine compartment.

I agree, lube your pins so the calipers will retract. But after heating a couple of times, REBUILD!

99L bought new, Forged short block with a main cap girdle, ARP bolts and studs, I W dampner, ported PI heads, 1-7/8" long tubes, 3" full exh, ported Eaton, long bars, solid motor mounts, Trans by A-1, 18 lb pullied, dumped the X4 tuner.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizlplix View Post
I got an ABS light 10 years ago. All 3 sensors were replaced, system bled. Light still on. (10 years)

From working at a Ford garage, some of them require a breakout box to be connected inline with the ABS harness,
so the solenoids can be cycled and the pump run to get any bubbles out.

I was told by a good ford mechanic that the board goes wonky and needs replaced sometimes.

I just ignore the light, at this point. Or I will just disconnect it to clean up the engine compartment.

I agree, lube your pins so the calipers will retract. But after heating a couple of times, REBUILD!
So the abs light really isnt that big of a deal? Im going attempt to fix it and see what happens. How can I test if my calipers are sticking? What should the temp gun read on the rotors after normal driving?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Administrator

My damn ABS light went on years ago when I threw away all that ABS junk...

Jim
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 AM

If either of your front rotors does NOT have a exciter ring for the abs sensor to read than that is a abs issue and more than likely why your abs light is on. How long have you had the truck?

2.3 whipple,built motor,jj fuel system,a1 trans
Pb so far 11.65 @ 114 with a 1.61 60'. 6lb crank pulley and 3.375 upper(15lbs of boost on 93oct)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja5bss View Post
If either of your front rotors does NOT have a exciter ring for the abs sensor to read than that is a abs issue and more than likely why your abs light is on. How long have you had the truck?
It ended up being that abs sensor I replaced. Apparently the previous owner had replaced it already once. The abs is now off but sometimes my front rims get really hot. It comes and goes so its been difficult to address. Would that be from my brakes hanging up?

I ordered stiffler brake lines and will be checking the calipers in the next couple of days. thanks guys
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 PM
RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Your likely going to have to rebuild your calipers. They Use a phenolic resin piston that goes to hell with age.....

They will look ok to you, but when "old" Phenolic pistons get hot from normal use, they will swell and stick.

Just went through this crap last year with my rears..
Damn near set my back tires on fire....the rotors and brake pads caught fire and turned the disc cherry red...Rebuilt them with new Phenolic pistons and all is well.

Don't waste your time buying any of the "rebuilt calipers" because most of the time they just put the old piston in and the problem will rear its head again.

You either have to rebuild them yourself with new pistons or buy new OEM calipers from ford to know for sure what you are getting

Orielly Automotive stocks the pistons and they are actually made in USA..
baja5bss likes this.

Last edited by STRK BY; 08-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRK BY View Post
Your likely going to have to rebuild your calipers. They Use a phenolic resin piston that goes to hell with age.....

They will look ok to you, but when "old" Phenolic pistons get hot from normal use, they will swell and stick.

Just went through this crap last year with my rears..
Damn near set my back tires on fire....the rotors and brake pads caught fire and turned the disc cherry red...Rebuilt them with new Phenolic pistons and all is well.

Don't waste your time buying any of the "rebuilt calipers" because most of the time they just put the old piston in and the problem will rear it head again.

You either have to rebuild them yourself with new pistons or buy new OEM calipers from ford to know for sure what you are getting

Orielly Automotive stocks the pistons and they are actually made in USA..
Whats a phenolic piston? So youre saying rebuilt calipers are trash? I thought most of them people buy are rebuilt. They still sell our stock calipers? Not discountinued?

So you wouldnt buy these rebuilt ones?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...rd/model/f-150
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

or these stock ones? Ill probably go with these. Didnt think I could find oem calipers

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...bC12OC1nYXM%3D
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM
RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Phenolic Pistons are made from a resin.....They are not metal..They stop a lot of heat transfer to the brake fluid and caliper.. better than metal pistons...and do not rust or contaminate brake fluid like metal pistons can..

I would not use any rebuilt calipers because you don't know for sure or not if they are actually using new pistons, most don't..

Use nothing but OEM if you want the whole caliper assembly.

You can buy the Replacement Phenolic pistons From Orielly's for cheap if you want to save some cash..I would just rebuild them yourself. Much less cost and easy to do............

They are only about $9 bucks each and the seal is inexpensive.

https://oreillyauto.com/shop/brake-s...tr_10039=Front
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:15 PM

Garage
Hmmm,,,I've got an abs light on too, but no codes my SCT 3 will pick up. How do you read the abs codes? Is that dealer only?

I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.

2001 lightning
1966 Seven Litre convertible
1993 Cobra (sold)