Intercooler Tank Options/Opinions - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Intercooler Tank Options/Opinions

Installed Fluidyne exchanger & wanted to finish up with a larger capacity tank.

I like the MEGA Tank but don't want to sacrifice wiper fluid.

What tank/s do you all recommend??

*Looking for;

-Larger capacity
-Quality materials & design
-Good fitment without out sacrificing anything

Thanks!

Mods;

-#8 Metco lower pulley
*080690 69.72 belt
-Plugs NGK TR6
-170 Thermostat
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-BA2400 MAF
-60 lb injectors
-Accufab LTB Throttle Body
-Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
-ARH (Full System)
-Custom Tuned with Adam@PopsRacing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM
E85R

NEW! JLP Intercooler Reservoir Tank

Boss Hoss and 2003HD like this.

The foot say's go, The light say's no!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. Where does the wiper motor mount? Not clearly marketed. Does anyone have pictures from other angles? Can't find anything online??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Drunk View Post

Mods;

-#8 Metco lower pulley
*080690 69.72 belt
-Plugs NGK TR6
-170 Thermostat
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-BA2400 MAF
-60 lb injectors
-Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
-ARH (Full System)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

TTT.

Does an have pics of back side of JLP intercooler tank with wiper fluid reservoir? I want to know what I'm buying.

>>Any other recommendations appreciated??

Mods;

-#8 Metco lower pulley
*080690 69.72 belt
-Plugs NGK TR6
-170 Thermostat
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-BA2400 MAF
-60 lb injectors
-Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
-ARH (Full System)

Last edited by 03F150HD; 07-24-2017 at 09:09 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 PM
NO SPONSORS

It fits in the side just like how the stock one does. Stock is just held in by a rubber grommet
Boss Hoss and cbxer55 like this.

01 hd converted to s/c, built longblock, comp stg. 3 cams, punisher built trans, circle d 2400 stall, whipple 3.4, wms monster inlet, id1000 Inj, sct 5k maf, 4" upper, 6lb lower, whipple sbtb, lfp dual pass h/e, triple 255 walbro pumps, fore hat, jlp rails, aeromotive reg, trick stg.3 i/c, sct x-cal3, comp r, detroit tru-trac, ta girdle, cfds, 3.73 gears, jlp traction bars, plenty of bling!!

2001L jdm cai, kooks headers & mids, jdm silver bullet, accufab sbtb, metco traction bars, jdm efan, 6lb lower pulley, ported blower, 4x4 trans pan, t/a girdle, sold!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!

As the cat above said, fits like stock, no rocket science involved. If I recall right, I think it took two gallons more coolant to fill the reservoir than the stock one held. I had drained the stock one with a siphon bulb, then put that back in when the JLP tank was on. Had to add two gallons to bring it to the level I keep it at, just below the inflow fitting at the top of the tank.
03F150HD likes this.

2004 White Lightning, #2750 of 3781. JLP Sheet Metal Plenum, Long Bars, I/C and Radiator tanks. LFP Intake and Shackles. George Conroy Tubular Crossmember, Autofab FTM110 trans mount. Nemo's Cogs with two pound lower. Chickenwings_85 Idlers. RPM Outlet Cogs. Brett's Manual Blower Tensioner. KillerGlass radiator hose. Broncobeater Panhard Bar, Drive Shaft Safety Loop and Passenger Side Shock Flip Kit. ARE Bed Cover. Bedrug. Thunder Tip. QA-1 Rear Shocks. TA Differential Cover. Underhood Specialties Polished Steel Radiator Cover. Front Rims Narrowed to 7 inch with 235/60-18 Michelin's, Nitto NT555R in 305/45-18 out back. Street Scene side steps painted to match. Shaved and color matched rear bumper steps.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Yeah there is just a hole on the side of the tank to insert the motor/pump. Had one on my old truck, don't have a pic right off.
03F150HD likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 PM

Very nice.... subscribed
cbxer55 likes this.

02 True Blue Lightning Trick Flows, Comp CamsXE278AH,4lbL,2.8U,KBBAP,AccufabSBTB,Dynatech,J LT CAI, SCT2600, 4x hand held
Stock Bottom End
2008 Corvette Z06
2004 GTO
2011 Lexus IS350F[/B]
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Guy's please.

I just need to see a picture to ease my mind.. I would have it & had installed if I could just see how designed. Sounds like a good design but don't want to deal with return if not what I imagine.

Can someone just please snap a few pictures of back side & wiper motor installed?

I will PM you my phone # to text to make easier. I will be sure to post some when/if I get mine to help others.

**Also wondering how much window fluid tank holds?

Thanks in advance.
cbxer55 likes this.

Mods;

-#8 Metco lower pulley
*080690 69.72 belt
-Plugs NGK TR6
-170 Thermostat
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-BA2400 MAF
-60 lb injectors
-Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
-ARH (Full System)

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:16 PM
NO SPONSORS

Can't help you as I don't have my truck here.
cbxer55 likes this.

01 hd converted to s/c, built longblock, comp stg. 3 cams, punisher built trans, circle d 2400 stall, whipple 3.4, wms monster inlet, id1000 Inj, sct 5k maf, 4" upper, 6lb lower, whipple sbtb, lfp dual pass h/e, triple 255 walbro pumps, fore hat, jlp rails, aeromotive reg, trick stg.3 i/c, sct x-cal3, comp r, detroit tru-trac, ta girdle, cfds, 3.73 gears, jlp traction bars, plenty of bling!!

2001L jdm cai, kooks headers & mids, jdm silver bullet, accufab sbtb, metco traction bars, jdm efan, 6lb lower pulley, ported blower, 4x4 trans pan, t/a girdle, sold!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM

Search the classifieds for ppl selling them with pictures attached- maybe you'll see what you need.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 PM

cbxer55 likes this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:59 PM

I am going to guestimate, since I've never measured it, that the windshield reservoir holds about a quart, 32 ounces. It also evaporates pretty dang fast. If you're using the blue stuff, it's 50/50 water/methanol. And as we all know, any type of alcohol evaporates readily. Anyway, I rarely ever use that function, don't drive it in bad weather. I just keep it full, jic.

There are no fittings on the tank anywhere except the inboard side (driver's side). There is no room on the back surface due to proximity to the battery. The front and outboard side obviously would be difficult to put things.

The inflow fitting is top center, the outflow hose is bottom center of the inter-cooler reservoir area, and the washer pump is at the bottom rear of the whole shebang. I look at it in this way: If I could put it in my truck, anyone should be able to. Hard to take clear pictures of all this due to all the a/c hoses and fittings that are very near the tank.

Some people had trouble getting the tank into the truck, others such as myself did not. Hit or miss I guess. Hard to blame JLP for this as it is a Ford production tolerance issue. No two trucks are exactly alike. JLP cannot be faulted for this. I just know, were I to sell this truck and buy another, I would buy another JLP tank, no questions asked, and make it fit. It's about as big a tank as you can put in that area, due to the battery. Only way to get bigger is to get the race version, and forget about the washer reservoir. I also have their radiator overflow tank with custom lid, and their sheet metal plenum. All good stuff.

I think this one covers it though. View looking down at the inboard side. You can see the pump on the left, with what appears to be a braided hose. The inflow hose right in your face. The outflow hose down beneath it. Best I can do, with all the clutter there.

Also included a picture with the new cap in place. My original one leaked pretty bad, and had to clean the top often. The new one has a much improved and tighter fit, with a reinforcement ring that goes inside the tank. The original did not have the reinforcement ring, and thus there were gaps between the fasteners that allowed fluid to seep out. I believe that JLP has addressed this issue though, and shouldn't be a problem. I mainly changed it because I wanted the red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01010005-1.jpg (81.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 01010003_zps907db679.jpg (82.5 KB, 119 views)

2004 White Lightning, #2750 of 3781. JLP Sheet Metal Plenum, Long Bars, I/C and Radiator tanks. LFP Intake and Shackles. George Conroy Tubular Crossmember, Autofab FTM110 trans mount. Nemo's Cogs with two pound lower. Chickenwings_85 Idlers. RPM Outlet Cogs. Brett's Manual Blower Tensioner. KillerGlass radiator hose. Broncobeater Panhard Bar, Drive Shaft Safety Loop and Passenger Side Shock Flip Kit. ARE Bed Cover. Bedrug. Thunder Tip. QA-1 Rear Shocks. TA Differential Cover. Underhood Specialties Polished Steel Radiator Cover. Front Rims Narrowed to 7 inch with 235/60-18 Michelin's, Nitto NT555R in 305/45-18 out back. Street Scene side steps painted to match. Shaved and color matched rear bumper steps.

Last edited by cbxer55; 07-26-2017 at 12:21 AM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
I am going to guestimate, since I've never measured it, that the windshield reservoir holds about a quart, 32 ounces. It also evaporates pretty dang fast. If you're using the blue stuff, it's 50/50 water/methanol. And as we all know, any type of alcohol evaporates readily. Anyway, I rarely ever use that function, don't drive it in bad weather. I just keep it full, jic.

There are no fittings on the tank anywhere except the inboard side (driver's side). There is no room on the back surface due to proximity to the battery. The front and outboard side obviously would be difficult to put things.

The inflow fitting is top center, the outflow hose is bottom center of the inter-cooler reservoir area, and the washer pump is at the bottom rear of the whole shebang. I look at it in this way: If I could put it in my truck, anyone should be able to. Hard to take clear pictures of all this due to all the a/c hoses and fittings that are very near the tank.

Some people had trouble getting the tank into the truck, others such as myself did not. Hit or miss I guess. Hard to blame JLP for this as it is a Ford production tolerance issue. No two trucks are exactly alike. JLP cannot be faulted for this. I just know, were I to sell this truck and buy another, I would buy another JLP tank, no questions asked, and make it fit. It's about as big a tank as you can put in that area, due to the battery. Only way to get bigger is to get the race version, and forget about the washer reservoir. I also have their radiator overflow tank with custom lid, and their sheet metal plenum. All good stuff.

I think this one covers it though. View looking down at the inboard side. You can see the pump on the left, with what appears to be a braided hose. The inflow hose right in your face. The outflow hose down beneath it. Best I can do, with all the clutter there.

Also included a picture with the new cap in place. My original one leaked pretty bad, and had to clean the top often. The new one has a much improved and tighter fit, with a reinforcement ring that goes inside the tank. The original did not have the reinforcement ring, and thus there were gaps between the fasteners that allowed fluid to seep out. I believe that JLP has addressed this issue though, and shouldn't be a problem. I mainly changed it because I wanted the red.
cbxer55 likes this.

Mods;

-#8 Metco lower pulley
*080690 69.72 belt
-Plugs NGK TR6
-170 Thermostat
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-BA2400 MAF
-60 lb injectors
-Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
-ARH (Full System)

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM

While you're at it, you should consider getting their radiator overflow reservoir and custom cap. The cap just snaps onto the stock one, so it functions just like stock. For checking the coolant level, while the stock one was still in place and filled properly, I took one of those paint stirring doohickeys, stuck it in the tank, and while wet, made some marks on that. Now I can just stick that into the metal tank and make sure the level is up to the marks on the paint stirrer. The metal tank is the same size and holds the same amount of fluid as stock. In any event I recently put a Killer Glass upper radiator hose on, and that will tell me my fluid level just fine. THere are no air bubbles in the tube while off or running. If the fluid gets low, there will be air bubbles in the tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01010001-2.jpg (83.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 01010002-2.jpg (135.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 01010010_zpszrn1zwfk.jpg (242.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 01010011_zpswt9cjk8j.jpg (234.6 KB, 94 views)
Bird likes this.

Last edited by cbxer55; 07-26-2017 at 12:26 PM.