JC Customs Midplate - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

JC Customs Midplate

Does anyone have any data on the improvement using one as compared to stock? Going with a Trick IC and debating to do the midplate. Is it really worth it without having a monster inlet done first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
NO SPONSORS

For what blower set up? It's definately a piece of the puzzle. But I think the improvements compared to a monster inlet are not as huge.

01 hd converted to s/c, built longblock, comp stg. 3 cams, punisher built trans, circle d 2400 stall, whipple 3.4, wms monster inlet, id1000 Inj, sct 5k maf, 4" upper, 6lb lower, whipple sbtb, lfp dual pass h/e, triple 255 walbro pumps, fore hat, jlp rails, aeromotive reg, trick stg.3 i/c, sct x-cal3, comp r, detroit tru-trac, ta girdle, cfds, 3.73 gears, jlp traction bars, plenty of bling!!

2001L jdm cai, kooks headers & mids, jdm silver bullet, accufab sbtb, metco traction bars, jdm efan, 6lb lower pulley, ported blower, 4x4 trans pan, t/a girdle, sold!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I have a 2.3 Whipple. Ya, I kind of figure the most restrictive air flow is the plenum more than the midplate

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 AM
NO SPONSORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraze king View Post
I have a 2.3 Whipple. Ya, I kind of figure the most restrictive air flow is the plenum more than the midplate
I was referring to the kbs and the 3.4 whipple. The 2.3 whipple is a pretty potent blower out of the box. But that being said we are never satisfied in our quest to go fast. The plate Joel makes for the 2.3 is a vast improvement especially when you use the trick I/c. Unfortunate there isn't any options for larger plenums. I've seen them ported and polished and opened up for the mp big o. Those are your only options unless you can fabricate or know someone who can
Boss Hoss likes this.

01 hd converted to s/c, built longblock, comp stg. 3 cams, punisher built trans, circle d 2400 stall, whipple 3.4, wms monster inlet, id1000 Inj, sct 5k maf, 4" upper, 6lb lower, whipple sbtb, lfp dual pass h/e, triple 255 walbro pumps, fore hat, jlp rails, aeromotive reg, trick stg.3 i/c, sct x-cal3, comp r, detroit tru-trac, ta girdle, cfds, 3.73 gears, jlp traction bars, plenty of bling!!

2001L jdm cai, kooks headers & mids, jdm silver bullet, accufab sbtb, metco traction bars, jdm efan, 6lb lower pulley, ported blower, 4x4 trans pan, t/a girdle, sold!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 AM

I will let you know next year. Doing JC mid plate, KB 2.6 adapter plate and trick IC. But I will also be switching to AR exhaust and some other tweaks here and there. Doing this more for efficiency of air in and out plus lower my IAT temps. Right now on full race pulley I am seeing 148*

02 TRUE BLUE, 9.80@140.60
1.40 60ft
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 AM
Former Rowing Team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
The plate Joel makes for the 2.3 is a vast improvement especially when you use the trick I/c.
Can you please post some back to back dyno or time slips of trucks with just the plate and trick IC being changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude lightning View Post
I will also be switching to AR exhaust and some other tweaks here and there. Doing this more for efficiency of air in and out plus lower my IAT temps.
My long term goal is plenum, trick IC and ARH 1 7/8 or 2". Gotta try to make this air pump more efficient. Since no one can prove any of that stuff works, i will try it and see. Other platforms gain significantly opening up the intake and exhaust size.

Dude, are you going 1 7/8 or 2" headers?

Just a Randy Smith and Tuned by norm Lightning....

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:44 AM
NO SPONSORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt-BansheeMan View Post
Can you please post some back to back dyno or time slips of trucks with just the plate and trick IC being changed?

My long term goal is plenum, trick IC and ARH 1 7/8 or 2". Gotta try to make this air pump more efficient. Since no one can prove any of that stuff works, i will try it and see. Other platforms gain significantly opening up the intake and exhaust size.

Dude, are you going 1 7/8 or 2" headers?
I will have data for the 3.4. Truck is at the Dyno now just waiting for it to get done. My only issue is I do not have a way to read iat2 since my truck was n/a stock. Going to get it back make a few runs, then swap to joels plate. Go back to same Dyno for a pull to get results on that, then back to the track.

If you are using any factory whipple midplate with a trick I/c, the way joels plate opens up for the trick core you should see an improvement. Not to mention he changed the height and reworked the flow pattern. Also the 2.3 midplate is a cast unit not billet like Joel's.
svt-BansheeMan and John Nors like this.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck

Quote:
I will have data for the 3.4. Truck is at the Dyno now just waiting for it to get done. My only issue is I do not have a way to read iat2 since my truck was n/a stock. Going to get it back make a few runs, then swap to joels plate. Go back to same Dyno for a pull to get results on that, then back to the track.

If you are using any factory whipple midplate with a trick I/c, the way joels plate opens up for the trick core you should see an improvement. Not to mention he changed the height and reworked the flow pattern. Also the 2.3 midplate is a cast unit not billet like Joel's.
You do have a way to read IAT2, all you need to do is cut your IAT1 wires and extend them to the IAT2 sensor! Boom there ya go! lol

And let's be realistic, it took you 5 years to get dyno tuned for your current revision of mods from the last changes, you're really going to get the truck back after 3-4+ months waiting for this tune appointment, pop the plate on, and go right back? You've had months to get that plate on already haha

Few pics of the differences attached with stock midplate & IC next to JCC midplate & trick IC....

The plate is definitely worth it. There's several benefits to it...
1. the integrated IC spacer lifts the IC off the floor of the turkey pan, which helps reduce restriction in the lower intake.
2. the trick normally requires an adaptor to bolt up to the stock midplate, but it directly bolts to the JCC plate, which also helps keep the IC outlet off the turkey pan floor
3. the shape of the port was put into a flow program to improve air flow dynamics over stock
4. the size!!!!! this alone makes it worth doing the plate with the trick IC since you're blocking off some of the IC with a stock midplate. Use the full IC!
5. the boost/vac port is NPT threaded so you can use AN fittings and attach the vac/boost hose with something that won't pop off, like the stock midplate with a hose barb has been known to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Refresh-455.jpg (247.7 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg Refresh-456.jpg (205.7 KB, 224 views)
dannyrok, Impact and P_Franko03 like this.

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 820/875, _9.89@138.78
D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.59@100.95 (SOLD 10/15/11)
REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #???? of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 15.24@_91.71
GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 PM
NO SPONSORS

Only took me 5 years cause I changed many things, and life happened. Was going to put the plate on while I was being jerked around waiting, but didnt want to miss out on getting tuned if it was apart. Besides it won't need a total retune, just a tweak. Already have them prepared for when I do the plate. Going to also redo my fuel lines while the blower is off. Sorry if I'm not able to go all Baller status at once. At least I still own my truck and didn't throw in the towel.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Only took me 5 years cause I changed many things, and life happened. Was going to put the plate on while I was being jerked around waiting, but didnt want to miss out on getting tuned if it was apart. Besides it won't need a total retune, just a tweak. Already have them prepared for when I do the plate. Going to also redo my fuel lines while the blower is off. Sorry if I'm not able to go all Baller status at once. At least I still own my truck and didn't throw in the towel.
Heck, if the tune is being done right for your current mods then opening up the inlet a touch is not going to skew things. Not unless a component is right near the ragged edge already(and I know Jim won't let that stand unchanged on anything he is tuning). When you put that plate on just verify A/F is good(and I expect it to be) and let it eat!

Jim

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:31 PM
NO SPONSORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct.TOPGUN View Post
Heck, if the tune is being done right for your current mods then opening up the inlet a touch is not going to skew things. Not unless a component is right near the ragged edge already(and I know Jim won't let that stand unchanged on anything he is tuning). When you put that plate on just verify A/F is good(and I expect it to be) and let it eat!

Jim
My thoughts exactly! The truck is going to back to jdm for the Dyno. That way I have exact results on the same Dyno. So if any adjustments need to be made sr. will be right there to make them. I don't foresee any big needs though.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:00 AM
Professional Lackey

I don't have any numbers or real data on the difference, but my eyes do tell me the JC midplate should flow better than the stock. The first picture Harley#356 posted says it all IMO. Just look at how much larger the opening is for the air to pass through the intercooler. For all I know I could be wrong, but it just looks liek it should flow much better to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley#356
Boss Hoss likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:45 AM
Glitter Dick

Garage
Let me get the numbers from Joel, but I thought I read on facebook that someone just dynoed back to back with one.

I don't recall how it started or why but I'm sure I'm to blame.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Glitter Dick

Garage
Screen grab from our convo about plate gains. Sorry there isn't as much convo here as on facebook. Hopefully those guys will chime in on here as well.

Tons of great products coming from JCC in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jccmidplate.jpg (77.2 KB, 109 views)

I don't recall how it started or why but I'm sure I'm to blame.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Former Rowing Team.

He also designed a revised version recently. I think Frenchy is going to test it back to back on the dyno. Now even by some chance it doesnt gain over the previous gen, it's still a huge win for us. It takes a lot of time and money to design, test etc stuff like that.
junioRace likes this.

Just a Randy Smith and Tuned by norm Lightning....