Lightning Rodder banner

Fuel pressure question

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Leeproctor83 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Finally got my truck out on the road this am for some cruising datalogs. I had Eric Korn work with me over the winter to get my truck idling.

Base pressure was 40 upon beginning my drive. On my initial drive I ran into a problem a few miles out. All driving today was light throttle, getting a 1500 rpm constant cruise log. AFR was showing pegged at 17.0 lean and fuel pressure was 19psi. I had the base pressure at 40psi during initial tuning over the winter, nothing changed since then. Inwas working on my suspension all winter. checked both fuses for the pumps, cycled each pump individually with the key. Both supply the same psi.

Fuel level in the tank was low fyi

Both pumps get power directly from battery and have 10ga wiring. Both have their own set of wires and relay for power and ground.

I re-adjusted the base pressure to 40 and again tested both pumps. They both supply 29psi koeo & 40 koer.

Has anybody seen a fpr fail and cause a 19psi drop in pressure?
Fuel system:
-8 feed
-6 return
Dual 465 pumps
Aeromotive regulator #13101
Id1300 injectors
Division x fuel filter

Pumps and regulator have 1k miles of use. Injectors are brand new.

See less See more
#2 ·
my system

I use an AER #13301 regulator.

Set 43 PSI at idle-hose not connected.

Drops to 36PSI when hose is connected.

I am not using the supplied AER spring. I found it to be unsatisfactory. I substituted my own.

Check the diaphragm and valve seat in regulator. They dont like to sit.

#3 ·
What spring are you using?

#7 ·
Springs

AEM delivers that regulator with two springs. The one that is in it is for up to 10# and carburated.
The second spring is for 30-70# and EFI use.

I am using a slightly heavier spring that seems to not flutter so much at higher pressures and will go up another 10-15# if I needed. (I dont)

I also changed the diaphragm because of it getting hard and distorted. I keep a spare.

The spring is off a spring selection board at my local auto supply.

#4 ·
I had an issue with 255's that sat where they were bypassing back into the tank. Only way I found it was to pull the hat and run them in a bucket of gas.

#6 ·
Pressure is steady at 40

#9 · (Edited)
I'll keep that in mind for the future. Engine was chugging, lack of fuel for sure.

#10 · (Edited)
Opened my regulator tonight. The seat has damage. Think this could have caused my issue? Thinking not.

#12 ·
Is that replaceable

#13 · (Edited)
Filter is good

Only way to repair the damaged seat is to replace the regulator. Aeromotive seats are non-serviceable.

Sent an email to magnafuel today asking what their ball and seats are made of.

There response
"Our regulators use a brass valve and a stainless-steel seat. Both are replaceable. Usually we only see excessive wear or chatter marks when there is cavitation or large amounts of air running through the regulator. If you have any other questions let us know or give us a call."

Starting to think I was sucking air into the system. These pumps do move a lot of fuel and were probably aerating the fuel. Waiting on a tune revision, then I'll take it out again.

#14 ·
Interesting. I'm having strange FPR issues that I feel is pump related. Ive been tossing around the idea of replacing my FPR. But smaller pumps may be the right idea in my case.
Post up when you get it figured out and good luck:bigtu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.