Lightning Rodder banner

Couple Killerchiller questions

2K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Learo2000GT 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon:
I had a Gen 1 killer chiller and the core failed so Joe hooked me up on the gen 3 and installed the killerchiller. Due to unforeseen events, my lightning sat for 2 years with the AC lines sat open the entire time before I finished the install. I replaced the dryer and let the evacuation pump run for a few hours..

So I ordered the enviro safe but ordered the wrong kind and did not get industrial. I did a charge to 2.5 ambient high side and my intercooler temps are around 50 degrees and my charge temps stay below 100 unless I I also installed the freon on a mild day like 65, not sure if that makes a difference. Following are my questions.
1. Has the charging ratio changed from 2.5X ambient? My AIT2s stay below 110 degrees.

2. Is there a chance my orifice could be clogged. I noticed that when I turn off the truck my low side readings go way high and the high side go way low but maybe that is normal. When the AC is running the high side is around 200 degrees. Should I replace the orifice and if so where is it locted and part number.
3. Should I replace the enovirsafe with the industrial 12E. . Any other tips appreciated. I use to get cooler temps. I have everything insulated, running a jabsco pump, no HE and JL tank.
4. I got one of the first kits that came with a gauage and the gauge quit working. Its the sending unit. Would anyone hae any idea what kind of sensor to replace the broken one with? I think it was a 3 wire type sending unit.

Thanks Doug

See less See more
#2 ·
The orifice is removed when the KC is installed. 12E is a good idea. No idea on #4

#3 ·
Not true. It incorporates a new orifice tube. Can't answer any of your other questions (although I'm curious as I've got one sitting on the shelf), but didn't want this misinformation spreading.

#5 ·
Instructions have you remove orifice tube, nowhere does it mention it again.

Attachments

#6 ·
The system needs an orifice tube to function properly. All a/c systems use either an orifice tube or expansion valve. There are different color orifice tubes for our trucks. Changing colors changes the characteristics of how the a/c works. The stock color is blue, pretty sure the KC systems change to red? Not sure, I made my own KC system and installed the red one from expeditions with dual a/c.

#7 ·
Stole this from another thread....

The new o-tube is bigger. The stock tube is .062, where as the new one is .071. This allows for more refrigerant to your evaporator for better in-cab cooling.

#8 ·
What is the best way to bleed off some coolant. I think I am around 2.8 right now. Would I hook up the manafold gauges and open the low side and use the bleeding valvue in the middle of the manafold gauge where the yellow line runs out off. Would I do this with truck running or truck off. Ps I am running a Jdm electric fan. Thanks.

#9 ·
So I went back out and made some adjustments and actually had to add freon to get It to 2.5. It's 80 out and highside was 200 at idel. But then somthing off happened. I shut the truck off and looked at the gauges and the low side was really high and the high side was really low. Unhooked gauges and hooked back up and same thing. Is this normal? I accidently ordered the wrong envirosafe and didn't get the industrial 12e. Intercooler fluid temps are in the 50s. Think I am going to order the industrial 12E. But does that seam odd my low and high side would flip like that. I use to have my IC fluid temps in the mid 30s with the industrial. Only thing is envirosafe only sells it by the case but such is life.

#14 ·
How much comes in the case that you have to order I have been wanting to change mine out to 12e

#16 ·
Sorry I would have split it with you if I did

#17 ·
Well just put in an order. I have not had much luck with the regular Envoirsafe. Any tips for charging would be greatly appreciated. IE electric fan, how much of a vacuum to charge under and anything else. All lines are insulated and with my core Gen 1 killer chiller I had a lot cooler AIT 2's os wither its the environmental 12E or I have a blockage somewhere I don't know. Thanks, Doug Just seems like something is off. I replaced the dryer and I guess the concurrence if an orifice is needed or not is still out. I was crusing around today in 80 degree weather and AIT 2's were is in the mid 100s which is a lot higher then they use to be. thanks

#21 ·
So u are saying leave both on? I live in wa state and it's been in the 90s latley but not typically. Will both fit in there or am I being a total dumbass about your thought process. Or doc u mean out the stock fan on for charging them out the e fan back on. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Tahnks much. Got a call from fed ex and my es12a was sent to wrong city. Should be here on Monday. I am going to do my best to charge with JDM elextric fan. Removing it and putting stock clutch fan on for charging is going to be lots of extra work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.