Water/gunk in spark plug hole - how do I clean? - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By duncansvt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Water/gunk in spark plug hole - how do I clean?

Apparently I have some water intrusion past the coil. My plan is to spray some simple green down in the plug hole, let sit and spray out with the hose and then blast it with an air compressor before pulling the plug out. I have to get the air compressor tomorrow so I'm just posting to see if anyone has any other suggestions on what cleaner to use etc. since it's hard to get a brush or something in there. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIGI0052.JPG (64.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DIGI0058.JPG (65.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20170505_183112.jpg (79.9 KB, 131 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:30 PM

which plug is that? I would blow it out first and see if you can get out most of it before spraying it down.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Plug #3, 3rd back on the passenger side. Good idea, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:02 PM

The water is probably leaking from one of the coolant lines. But i have had stuff stuck inside holes from NA 5.4s that i have worked on and the best thing i found to do was blow directly in the hole with compressed air. And if that doesnt work get some small thin hooks. I had parts of the inside of spark plug sockets stuck on the bottom on the very far back plug on the passenger side one time. I eventually got the little parts out using the hooks to dislodge and air to blow it out the hole.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

My thinking was to get it all out and the walls clean, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as all the loose crap is out. Good point about the coolant lines, they are right there above it. Haven't noticed any coolant loss but I'll have to check them out.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:23 PM

Yup the lines on the f150s and expeditions all eventually start to leak and some even break off if you are not gentle with the lines sometimes because of the age. I am always extra careful when i am doing plug changes lol.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:25 AM

plug hole crud

uh ..yessir ..my same hole would have the same issue,most likely from rain/when you wash it,imo when coils age their rubber does not provide a good enough seal to keep water out,that amount of rust to me spells water has been in there a long time,i am surprised you did not notice a misfire,one misfiring coil usually drags another cylinder down on my truck,just blow it out with air ,you are gonna need at least a 20 gallon compressor as a burst from a little shitty one isn't gonna do it.the other thing you can do is use a coating of high temp brake caliper grease around the sealing rings on cops to keep water out and use dilectric tune up grease in the end of the cop where it meets the plug ,or get a new set of cops of which the sealing rings will fit tight and keep water out..i went with the yellow ones on rock auto under the high performance section-$20 each 3 months and counting and so far so good.best of luck hope this helps
Duncaan likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:18 AM
E85R

I've got some brand new OEM boots for those COP's....Trade for a 12 pack of Space Dust IPA.

The foot say's go, The light say's no!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:38 PM

I just stick a small plastic tube in my shop vac hose using a homemade wooden plug and duct tape. Suck it out, then fill with carb cleaner and use pipe cleaners to scrub it clean. Suck it out again, repeat until clean.

99L bought new, Forged short block with a main cap girdle, ARP bolts and studs, I W dampner, ported PI heads, 1-7/8" long tubes, 3" full exh, ported Eaton, long bars, solid motor mounts, Trans by A-1, 18 lb pullied, X4 tuner.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Cogswell Cogs

FWIW.. I haven't had any issues with water in plug wells as I'm a big fan of dielectric grease.
I have tubes of that stuff.. I apply it to the plug end of the COP, a bead of it around the seal of the COP and it's electric connection. I have a Harwood hood so, I imagine water entry is more likely than with a stock hood.
Whenever I mess with any electrical connector, light bulb change etc, everything gets dielectric grease.... Good stuff.

Big fan of both kinds of Never Seize too.. Lol

"You know, you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum". - E.T. '86
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, got it done about a week ago and used just about everything in this thread. Great to have it back in fighting form.

Forgot I got a USB borescope for christmas, much better pics than my standalone and only $20-25. Plugs into your phone with OTG adapter. Some pics:

Plug 3

Plug 8

Here's what the plugs looked like. #3 was obviously not firing. The rest look OK to me. Anybody see anything alarming? (with flash and without.)

Pic of the ever-helpful weather in the PNW

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Nice work... how does it run now?

02 True Blue Lightning
2008 Corvette Z06
2004 GTO
2011 Lexus IS350F[/B]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Runs great. I don't have a lot of time/space to work on it so it's been down for a bit. Forgot how fun it is. Also forgot its 11-13 mpg average haha.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM
E85R

You going to bring it to Griot's on Sunday?

The foot say's go, The light say's no!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Maybe the Lightning, even though it's still stock and stale haha. Not enough time to get the Harley cleaned up, we just closed on a house so everything is full speed right now. Good news is that there's plenty of room for meets and BBQing at the new place!